Sunday 12/16 Weather
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Well, plenty of rain and some sleet here in the Shenandoah Valley Saturday night. A half-inch of ice on the trees, power lines and Christmas lights this morning...but no snow. Temperature hovering around the freezing point. High winds expected this afternoon (Sunday).

The glass-is-half-full parts of the story are that a.) I hope you guys to the north and west saw plenty of snow, and b.) dropping temperatures should provide a few good nights of snowmaking for the ski areas with the capacity to do it and the chutzpah to use it!

Woody
bawalker
December 16, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Around here... same thing. No white stuff anywhere to be found. Just a half inch or so of glazed coating of ice on everything that is warming up and melting as we speak. This was a bust of a storm.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 16, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
 Originally Posted By: bousquet19

The glass-is-half-full parts of the story are that a.) I hope you guys to the north and west saw plenty of snow, and b.) dropping temperatures should provide a few good nights of snowmaking for the ski areas with the capacity to do it and the chutzpah to use it!

Woody

Go chutzpah. I'm hoping to use a couple ski show freebie tickets at Whitetail this Thurs or possibly Fri.
Clay
December 16, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Same here in Timberline. I'm looking out my window and while there are some gray clouds, there are sections of bright blue. Just checked the forecast - they still swear its going to snow. I'm going to hang around here a bit and let WVDOT get a crack at the roads before I head out.
skier219
December 16, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
bawalker
December 16, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Actually a neighbor of mine who is in the old school weather watching from just watching the barometer and other online basic tools, swears that we are in the 'eye of the storm' at the moment. It's supposedly forecasted (as he told me) that upto 60mph winds, snow showers and frigid cold temps. It'd be nice, but I'd sure take the 8" of snow tho.

In other news it sounds like rain outside with blue sky from all the ice falling off of the trees in the forrest.
Taylormatt
December 16, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
7S this morning:

Pouring rain on the way up, half way up County Line Road it was obvious it was freezing rain all night. By the time we hit the gate at 9AM, it had turned to light snow.

During the morning, it mixed between sleet and snow. We left at 2:30 and it was coming down pretty good, but not leaving the feeling of 8" will happen in my mind.

As I type, from just below 7S at home, it's snowing on and off, but unless something major kicks in tonight...this storm (and I use that term lightly) is a bust, like many, many others before it.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.