Darn the luck! Liberty this weekend?
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
scootertig
December 10, 2007
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
So, this weekend was originally planned (since about May or so) to be spent in Maine. Predictions for the early season were dire, so I moved the trip to the weekend between Christmas and New Year's. Turns out, I would have been fine, but who knew?

Instead, the revised plan was to use the free Liberty tix we got at the Ski/Snowboard Expo. Then, this weather...

Will Liberty be 1) skiable this weekend 2) worth skiing? Just looking for a chance to get out with the new gear (boots and skis) before heading to Vermont in a few weeks... Will there be anything worth skiing at the lower- to middle-intermediate level?

aaron
Clay
December 11, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
As you say, with the weather it's a tough call, but you have a better chance of finding what you want since you're looking for lower to middle intermediate level trails as these usually open before the blacks.

I would base it on how far you have to drive. If it's not too far, getting out on the new equipment will be good no matter what is open. On the other hand if you have to drive four hours then it's probably a different decision.

I spent a couple of good hours at Timberline on their one open trail (green) this past weekend working on drills that I know I wouldn't have done if more was open. It was a great way for me to ease back into ski season.
comprex
December 11, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Would you consider WT on Sunday?
scootertig
December 11, 2007
365 posts
You mean me, personally? Or just someone in general?

The draw of Liberty is the free ticket from the Expo. If I'm paying for a ticket, I might look at other options, too. Anything that makes Whitetail a good fit for the weekend?

aaron
comprex
December 11, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Is that ticket good for just Liberty or any Snowtime resort?
langleyskier
December 11, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I would use it at whitetail if is was you... more snowmaking potential (little colder), more vertical, and a high speed. For sunday i would say they will have plenty of time to make more snow and conditions should be good.... definitely worth it if the ticket is free
scootertig
December 11, 2007
365 posts
Well, drat. Darn the luck twice. It turns out, it WOULD HAVE BEEN valid at any of them, but I should have taken the card to the booths. Ergo, no pass at all.

I'm going to have to find a way to keep this newfound info from the girlfriend. She'll not be happy with this....

aaron

PS - If anyone has a lead on discount lift tickets for anything within about 2 hours of Leesburg this weekend, let me know!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.