Snowshoe on Thursday 12/6
36 posts
11 users
9k+ views
skier219
December 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Anybody else going to be there? I am thinking about heading up for a day trip. After the cold temps and natural snow, this is looking like a great day, and might be one of the last cold days for a week or so. I can't bear to miss out on snow like this (plus, Wintergreen has been dragging their ass and probably won't open until Saturday).
David
December 4, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Damn finals.....I'd definitely meet you up there for some of this fresh pow if it weren't for finals week being next week.....
b2otto2
December 4, 2007
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
Im planning on being there Thursday, hope they have more trails open by then. Does anyone else find Snowshoe's website lacking of updated information from past years? They haven't even updated their "Snow News is Good News" section, it hasn't been updated since the 3/27/07.
skier219
December 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I just know that if I don't ski on Thursday, I will regret it on Friday.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
nexjg
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/7/2006 🔗
23 posts
I will be there from harrisonburg va - lets meet up, would like to have somebody to ski with!
MadMonk
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Their website has sucked ever since the one guy (Joe Stevens, IIRC) left and they did the redesign. I believe one time they explained they couldn't have a cam due to "extreme conditions." Right. There aren't any places with worse weather that have cams. Do they honestly expect anyone to believe that?
Ullr
December 5, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Can't this week, but I can next week. I am really looking forward to trying out those Karma's!!!!!
skier219
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Now I am thinking about going Friday instead. I will be driving up there 4am-9am the morning of, and the roads might still be dicey on Thursday morning (temps will be in the low teens too). My snow forecast is calling for snow to fall until about 1am or so.

Either day ought to have good skiing, though I bet the snow will be sweeter on Thursday. Probably less crowded too. I'll be debating when to go for another few hours....

So where is the best place to park, given that there are no trails open from Top of the World? Is there any public parking near the village nowadays? And where in the village do they sell lift tickets? I normally park at TOW, buy my ticket there, and ski from that point. But it looks like the village will be a better place to have my base of operations (ie, the back of my car).
skier219
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yeah, I want to see you tearing it up on those bad boys!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I will travel tomorrow to ski all day Friday and Saturday. Also want to ensure my place is ready for the rental season. I was there last week but the skiing wasn't that good...
nexjg
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/7/2006 🔗
23 posts
I am also interested in a better parking place than TOW - last time waited 25 minute for the shuttle which is lame. Let me know if you find anything out.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2007
1,535 posts
My friends who were going to show up this weekend are now afraid of the roads. I am leaving tonight. I have two additional bedrooms in the Summit Condos if you don't mind a Black Lab who owns the place. I have to lock up the place on Saturday morning as I have to depart back to DC by mid day. No drugs, be civil. Any takers?
Ullr
December 5, 2007
532 posts
Man!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to work, otherwise I'd take you up on that!
Clay
December 5, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I can't take you up on your kind offer, but this is what I love about this board. People sharing their common love of sking with stangers.

This is a great group!
Clay
Ullr
December 5, 2007
532 posts
TOW has THE only day parking. They did that by design
b2otto2
December 5, 2007
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
Im going down on Friday now too, cause im stoping off at Wisp on Thursday to ski with a couple of buddies. Then on to Snowshoe, The plan is to stay in my buddies condo at Highland house if it dosen't get rented out by tomorrow. You might have to park at the Top of the World and take the bus to the village. Theres a Ticket office up the steps from the Village bus stop, between Highland House and Seneca. I have to stop there in the morning to get my season pass. I would tell you my secert place to park at Snowshoe but then it wouldnt be secret no more! lol...
skier219
December 5, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Since there is a chance of rain on Friday, I think I am going to take my chances on the roads tomorrow morning and ski on Thursday after all. The snow seems to have tapered off, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the roads will be clear tomorrow morning. Lou -- I'd be glad to take you up on that offer some time!

Craig
nexjg
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/7/2006 🔗
23 posts
I'm gonna see how far I get tomorrow, but there is a possibility I'll have to turn back. Gonna leave @ 6am, plenty of time before knuckle heads start accidenting. Put together a nice emergency kit tonight and got some snow cables, hopefully I won't have to use it! My biggest concern is ice.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2007
1,535 posts
Skier, I have blocked more than half of the weekends for my use. Sometimes with my ski group, sometimes with family, sometimes with friends. And with friends in DC, who see a flake of snow and they turn flaky themselves, it is oftentimes that they cancel, with at least one bedroom unused. I always rent the place on three-day weekends because Snowshoe is unbearable on three-day weekends. Rest of the time, if I'm going, there will likely be room. Thunder (my Black Lab) likes people. And I'll share a bottle of wine or good beer with anyone except Dick Cheney
Bumps
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
WOW! How bout a beer or merlot? Oh well I have to work anyway. Although, I am starting to think I need a new job. Maybe I'll just quit. OOps I forgot my wife still has my man card. Guess I'll have to pass. Maybe next time you decide to open you home to the mentally deranged I will be free.
Bumps
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
See if I would have read all the posts first I would have gotten my answer! BTW, you can drink wiith Dick, just dont go hunting afterward.
David
December 5, 2007
2,444 posts
I'm with Craig and may have to take you up on that offer sometime...That is if you don't mind hanging with a 22 year old college student (one that skis not parties)...
TOMF
December 6, 2007
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
When the Soaring Eagle lift at TOW is not running, the main parking lot serving the village area is open to the public. I parked there on Thanksgiving and my daughter parked there Dec. 3.
nexjg
December 6, 2007
Member since 12/7/2006 🔗
23 posts
Sadly I didn't go to snowshoe today. Got up @ 4:30 - tried a drive around at 5:30 and the roads here in harrisonburg were nothing more than one big sheet of black ice. Would only get worse the further west and north I'd go. LAME!
David
December 6, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: nexjg
Sadly I didn't go to snowshoe today. Got up @ 4:30 - tried a drive around at 5:30 and the roads here in harrisonburg were nothing more than one big sheet of black ice. Would only get worse the further west and north I'd go. LAME!

Better luck next time! It took me about 1 hour to get to class this morning (normally no more than 30 mins). We got a solid 6-7 inches here in North Central WV.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2007
1,535 posts
Made it to Snowshoe at 1020. Roads from DC were actually very good. Left at 0604, so it took me 4:16, which is pretty good. Little ice, but with a 4WD it was a cinch.

Temp is 12 degrees F, pretty chilly. No wind though.

Just walked the condo owner, Thunder, and as he gnaws on his favorite toy, I'm off to the slopes.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2007
1,535 posts
Snowshoe was awesome today Despite the 7 runs advertised, there were really two serious top-to-bottom runs. But in two hours, I probably did about 20 runs. Then I got bored. The conditions are tres plus excellent... I don't need Colorado today. Fluffy powder. Temp high was 24, low was (when I arrived) 12.

I took some pix and they are at http://web.mac.com/bottal/Misc/Snowshoe_Dec_07.html

Awesome conditions!!!!!!!!!!!!
PaulR
December 6, 2007
Member since 02/10/2006 🔗
34 posts
Very jealous :). When are they opening up the other trails? They should have a good base by now...
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2007
1,535 posts
They have an awesome base now. And the guns are going full bore. I was commenting that it is rare to find these true powder conditions at Snowshoe. Understand tomorrow they cut the ribbon on the three new Black runs.
David
December 6, 2007
2,444 posts
Love the pics!! It looks like you had a beautiful and peaceful powder day.... \:\)
nexjg
December 6, 2007
Member since 12/7/2006 🔗
23 posts
I probably should have taken the chance of laying in a ditch for a few days... I wish I had went today!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2007
1,535 posts
The roads were mostly clear. With 4WD, I drove at 55 all the way. WV has better snow removal (at least in the mountains) than VA.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 6, 2007
1,535 posts
It was awesome today. And as I went to take my pup Thunder to play, I noticed that there were no lines in either of the three restaurants.
skier219
December 7, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yeah, I have to echo Lou's comments that it was great skiing on Thursday. The snow (natural packed powder surface) was about as good as it gets. Weather was perfect -- 25F and sunny, no wind. I didn't even mind the "only two" unique top to bottom runs. One was rather long, made of mostly green trails, and a nice extended ride down (by SS standards at least). The other was Spruce Glades, which is a fun trail with some minor steep sections, and great snow (that's my go-to place for untracked powder at SS long after the rest of the hill is tracked out -- since becoming a terrain park, nobody skis in there anymore). No lift lines at all and the fast Ballhooter lift made for quick laps. I took it easy for the first couple runs, as I am nursing a running injury, but absentmindedly cranked up to my regular skiing intensity by mid morning and had a blast (I am feeling sore all over today, so my running injury is blending into background aches now).

The roads were not great driving up early Thursday morning, but I didn't have any issues and still made it in my normal 4:30 - 4:45 time. I saw temps as low as 0F on the way in, and it was 9F when I arrived at SS around 9am. I was able to park down in the village, right across from the bus station. Just a short walk across the street and up the steps to Skidder.

Based on the number of trails they were making snow on yesterday (massive amounts of snow I should add), I think trail counts will jump up for the weekend, and I am sure the connector trails to South mountain will open. Good progress. I hope they make it through the coming warmup OK.

I don't think the three new trails will be open for skiing, but I believe snowmaking is scheduled to start on them next time weather permits.
skier219
December 7, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
 Originally Posted By: lbotta
Rest of the time, if I'm going, there will likely be room. Thunder (my Black Lab) likes people. And I'll share a bottle of wine or good beer with anyone except Dick Cheney

Hey, having a few beers and a black lab around sounds like a great ski hangout! I'd be glad to chip in some rack rent for such luxurious accomodations.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2007
1,535 posts
When I open my place for friends, I don't charge anything. One of the joys of life is to have friends around, especially drinking beer... Donations for the cleaning fee are welcome, however, if I am renting the place the next week, as I have to pay it regardless. I normally do my own cleaning as I do a significantly better job than the cleaning people (Virgo). :-)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.