Monday CV Commute
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
TomH
December 3, 2007
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Anyone ever leave CV early Monday mornings (say 5AM) to work in DC? Just wondering how long it would take. Sometimes I would be by myself and sometimes I would be with someone and able to stay on 66. I work on the Hill but if not to the Hill to say Falls Church would be useful as I know how long it takes from there. Hoping to squeeze another night in at the Valley on some weekends.

Thanks
Clay
December 3, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I don't have an exact answer for you but my Dad made the commute from Petersburg for a couple of years. He'd go over Monday morning about 5 and come back Wednesday night. If I remember correctly, he always said that traffic was minimal until you hit the places you would expect to hit it. (If you know what I mean).

So anyway, it takes me about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get from my condo in Northwoods to the Rt 17 exit on 66 (exit 28) going 33-55-81-66. If you left at 5:00, that would put you there around 7:15. From there, your about 10 or so miles (sorry, don't remember exit) from the 234 bypass exit where at that time of the morning, you will come to a dead stop and inch your way most of the way to 66.

These are only estimates of course and someone might know better but I hope it helps,
Clay
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 3, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Which way would you come? Would you catch the Dulles Greenway out around Leesburg? If you're solo then you couldn't use the Dulles Tollroad and I66 until after 9am, maybe take Rt 7 and Georgtwn Pike instead? Wild guess would be to add an hour to normal time, therefore maybe 4:15 minutes to the Hill?? Might pay to just delay departure and time it so you hit Tollroad at 9am?
TomH
December 3, 2007
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
From talking to some people I work with that live out that way if I was by myself I would take 66 to the Nutley Street Exit in Vienna and then take RT 50 all the way in. They claim that at 7:30 this takes about 45 min to an hour. So the question is how bad will it be from Gainsville to Vienna Nutley exit. Thanks all.
JohnL
December 3, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
 Quote:
They claim that at 7:30 this takes about 45 min to an hour.

To Cap Hill? That's pretty good time. I'd be willing to bet that if you hit the Nutley exit at 8 AM the commute time would be a lot longer than that.

Can't offer you any recent data since I currently live/work inside the Beltway. I'd caution you not to do the CV to DC commute on a Monday morning where you must be into the office for a 9 or 10 AM meeting. On some days, the trip could easily take 1.5 hours longer than the "normal" time. From my occasional reverse commutes for meetings outside/along the Beltway, IMHO traffic outside the Beltway/along the Beltway is a loooot worse than inside the Beltway.
tgd
December 3, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Tom H: I've made that commute as far as Nutley from Canaan a few times on Mondays. I would count on 3.5-4 hours to get as far as the Nutley exit.

Tom

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.