Timberline Demo Center
8 posts
3 users
2k+ views
Clay
November 28, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I noticed on this year's website Timberline touts a 'Demo Center'.

"Timberline has a Demo Center for customer convenience. The demo center provides Dalbello SGS (Stance Geometry System) Boots, Fischer Skis and Salomon Bindings. The SGS models feature a revolutionary new technology that permits the entire ski boot to rotate longitudinally along the center axis of the boot sole along the transverse plane. The SGS boot has been developed to precisely position the inward/outward tilt of the shell in order to optimize the individual skiers lateral STANCE GEOMETRY. This season, you will want to try and/or buy at the new DEMO CENTER."

Anybody know anything more about it? It would be sweet for me if it's well stocked since I'm a Fischer fan \:\)
Clay
kwillg6
November 28, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Depends on who is manning the place, what training he/she has, and how knowlwdgable they are of specific skier needs vrs equipment. It's worth looking into. There is a fischer rep on mountain as well. pm me and I can give you specifics as to what there has been and who you may want to talk to.
comprex
November 28, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
SGS has been around for a few years now.

The SGS boots I have seen have all been pretty darn heavy because the shell has to be separately rigid from the toe & heel-lug rail. They have all been COLD because of conductive heat loss from that great hunk of aluminum bolted on underneath. And, worst for some, not so much for others, the boots I've seen were high volume buckets made for H shaped, not V or I shaped, feet.

Further, the best information I have is that the original SGS was recalled because the lateral adjustment could slip and that the modified versions all have not 2 bolts but 3 on the adjustment rail.

I'd agree with kwillg6, with the proviso that someone with knowledge probably wouldn't need the SGS system.

Edit:
found http://www.harbskisystems.com/archives/bootsgs.htm

Fischer + Salomon? Interesting.
Clay
November 28, 2007
555 posts
 Originally Posted By: comprex
someone with knowledge probably wouldn't need the SGS system.

Agreed. I was really interested in the Fischers since up to now (in my extensive six years of skiing that is all I've skied and I'm prolly too old to change and I'm certainly too lazy to get down to the Ski Center and find a crud ski there.

Clay
kwillg6
November 29, 2007
2,066 posts
clay, if it's a crud ski you want to try, I'll let you take a few runs on my Rossi Z9s. I skied them in all kinds of crap, crud, sugar, mashed taters, etc... over the past few seasons including some nice pow-pow, if you remember. They are very forgiving and are turning machines. Since they have an integrated binding which the user can self adjust for the boot size, they are easy to demo . Let me know. Maybe next weekend?
Clay
November 29, 2007
555 posts
I'd love to. How long are they?

Clay
kwillg6
November 30, 2007
2,066 posts
168s. You should be able to turn them ok. If not, I have a pair of fischer slalom race skis which are 162s and are turning machines although they are a little stiffer than the rossis. Then we have a pair of Dynastar 64s, which are 155s and ski the crud well. We'd have to see how your boot size matches up with the other two pair since the bindings are pretty much set and minimal movement permited. I have skied all in crud and they plow through it well. The best crud ski I ever tried were the volant chubbs. I demoed a pair on a heavy sugar day at t-line and blasted through those piles of crap and the resulting mashed taters in the sunny spots. Those skis were 180s, with demo bindings, and very heavy. I felt like a pro that day.
Clay
November 30, 2007
555 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
I have skied all in crud and they plow through it well.

Yes my friend, but you know what you are doing
168s should be great. I am sking the RX6s in either 165 or 170 I don't remember(my brain's not functioning this morning).

Looking forward to see you and Ms. Monica on the 8th.

Clay
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.