Weekend storm?
97 posts
26 users
48k+ views
langleyskier
November 26, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Ok so it is 6 days out but just wanted to give everyone a heads up that there is the potential for a good sized storm sunday-tuesday of next week. Right now the models show 5+ for the DC area and around a foot for the mountains (looks like the southern PA mnts would be the sweet spot). This will all probably change as we get closer to the event but there is very good consensus between the models for some storm in this time period and followed by some real winter cold. I will update later tonight and post some maps (probably around midnight) after i finish homework and the 0Z models come out.
Taylormatt
November 26, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Let's hope it pans out. We desperately need it after this weeks warm spell & rain. It would suck to have opened yesterday and not be able to repeat this weekend.

The Mtn Manager at 7S is looking at the same models and planning (hoping) on getting some good snow out of it.
langleyskier
November 26, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
they will definitely be able to reopen next weekend. starting thursday they should be able to restart their guns and the weekend (storm or no storm) will offer good snowmaking and the following week will feature more cold and possible snow. I am standing by my prediction at the beginning of November for a great early season with most higher resorts opening in November/first two days of december and all resorts being open by the second weekend of december (the 7th). Only questionable resorts are tline and canaan because they seem to be very lazy with snowmaking.
Clay
November 26, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
 Originally Posted By: langleyskiier
Only questionable resorts are tline and canaan because they seem to be very lazy with snowmaking.

Agreed. Of course, Canaan gave itself plenty of time by not scheduling opening day until 12/22 didn't it? \:o

Clay
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Taylormatt
November 26, 2007
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I believe Canaan is State run and Tline is a mom & pop operation. I think it's more of a lack of budget to go crazy with snow making rather than lazy. Snow making isn't cheap.
crunchy
November 26, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: Taylormatt
Snow making isn't cheap.

yeah. i think the state parks snowmaking gear is pretty antiquated too. i think both places rely alot more on the natural snowpack than the other places on the front.
langleyskier
November 26, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
a completely agree with you crunchy about canaan but timberline is another story. With timberline's proximity to DC and 1000 ft of vert and a fairly good snowmaking system there is no reason they should not be able to attract the investment needed to have the capital to capitalize off early season snowmaking opportunities. I dont want to get into this in this thread but tline's biggest problem is its old base lodge, lack of any nice hotels to make it a real "resort," and its horrible slow chairlift.....

back on subject, the 18Z models looked similar to the 12Z models and continue to confirm the prediction of a nice event for at least the mnts and a possible event for the DC metro area (although i am skeptical about the possibility for such a large event this early). My interpretation is that DC will probably see at least some wintery precip out of this but how much is anyone's guess.
David
November 26, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
tline's biggest problem is its old base lodge, lack of any nice hotels to make it a real "resort," and its horrible slow chairlift.....

One man's trash is another man's treasure...
langleyskier
November 27, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: David
tline's biggest problem is its old base lodge, lack of any nice hotels to make it a real "resort," and its horrible slow chairlift.....

haha.. no i do enjoy the lodge but maybe not the lift. I am saying for them to be profitable and expand they need to fix it up even though it will be to the dismay of many DCskiers
langleyskier
November 27, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Update of sorts:

Still model consensus for a storm this weekend but tonight the GFS has been a little less enthusiastic about the high totals for the DC area but as i said before i do expect at least some wintery precip for DC some point during the storm. Sitll does look good for all resort areas besides possibly liberty and there is the possibility for some mix to freezing rain for more southern areas like wintergreen (they should stay below freezing throughout the event). For the WV resorts it seems they could be in for a wild ride with some really high totals. If this event were to unfold exactly as predicted tonight then most higher places would end up with 12-18 inches unless there is a little mixing or changing to sleet/freezing rain and DC would end up with 1-3 inches.

Total precip:

850 mb map: (can interpret the 0C blue line as the rain/snow line to give a rough estimate of what type of precip would be falling)

(can see how cold it gets after the event)

REMEMBER-- as i always state-- we are still far out and a lot will change so do not interpret this as a sure thing... many many times in the past we have all seen a storm predicted even a day out "bust" and give us close to nothing
Clay
November 27, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
If you want to go even farther out - Accuweather Professional is forecasting 10 1/2 inches total for next week in the valley.

Clay
skiTLINE
November 27, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
 Originally Posted By: David

haha.. no i do enjoy the lodge but maybe not the lift. I am saying for them to be profitable and expand they need to fix it up even though it will be to the dismay of many DCskiers

Honestly I really dont think Doc cares about being profitable or making a lot of money period. And I for one do not want a nice big shiny hotel or lodge at the base. That would be the beginning of Snowshoe #2. A lift.....just 1 high speed lift....thats all I want for Christmas \:\)
kwillg6
November 27, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Yeah, Todd. I agree. One nice, (it doesn't have to be shiney) new, high speed lift! I really don't mind the rustic lodge although they do need to upgrade the RR facilities and clean them frequently during peak days. Sometimes one must practice deep breathing before entering them.
Norsk
November 27, 2007
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
And where exactly does the money come from to pay for said nice and shiny new high-speed lift, if not from "amenities" revenue? Surely not from ticket sales.
comprex
November 27, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
langleyskiier I'm reading that little blurb as cooler temps in the second wave, for a sleet/rain/sleet pattern around here. Is there anything fun happening at 500mb?
David
November 27, 2007
2,444 posts
I love the pretty pictures.....I am glad you guys have any sort of idea what they mean...
David
November 27, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: skiTLINE

Honestly I really dont think Doc cares about being profitable or making a lot of money period. And I for one do not want a nice big shiny hotel or lodge at the base. That would be the beginning of Snowshoe #2. A lift.....just 1 high speed lift....thats all I want for Christmas \:\)

That was my point. If you are looking for hotels, modern lodges, and high speed lifts Snowshoe is right down the road. I for one like Timberline JUST the way it is. Ok, maybe another trail or 2 and better snowmaking....but NOTHING else. Maybe I think this way about the lift because I mostly ski midweek, not weekend. I don't know about anyone else, but any midweek day I have skied there I have never not been able to ski until my legs were shot by 4:00pm. You DC'ers are too used to that high speed city life...you need to learn to live like us laid back country folk here in WV.. ya'll here???
comprex
November 27, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

The lines show the temperature distribution, as stated look for 0C aka 32F as depicting the snow line, which is usually highlighted by color.

The color matched numbers tell temps, the black numbers are altitudes at which 850mb pressure occurs, I assume in meters on that graph.
langleyskier
November 27, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: comprex
langleyskiier I'm reading that little blurb as cooler temps in the second wave, for a sleet/rain/sleet pattern around here. Is there anything fun happening at 500mb?

The reason there could be some ice is that the SFC temps may be pushed down below freezing (as a result of cold air funneling along the Appalachians induced by a high pressure near the canadian boarder) while the 850 mb and 1000-500mb thickness would suggest rain.
langleyskier
November 27, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Well i have just returned from an extra boring physics lecture and go to check out the 12Z model output and what do i find..... a cold rain for all forecasted and monumental changes from last night's run. This could be the trend or it could be a bad run that we can throw out. Only good news is that cold air does funnel in after the storm allowing for some good snowmaking weather.

If anyone wants to view the models for themselves here is a good site:
MODELS

Also, eastrnuswx.com has a good map index; however it may be harder to interpret for most.

capital weather is another resource for monitoring this weekend's situation
langleyskier
November 28, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Well the trend has continued and now a cool rain storm is forecasted for all. Even up here in central PA we only a have hope for a little mixing at the beginning and end of the storm with no real accumulations expected. Unfortunately it now looks as if all mid atlantic resorts will se rain from this with a bit of upslope snow at the end of the storm possibly leaving behind a few inches in the valley and at shoe. Good news is that it is still forecasted to get very cold for an extended period after the storm which means places will be able to crank out plentiful amounts of the man made white stuff. So i would not suggest planning any skiing for sunday (although i think Saturday will be a great day at any resort that is open as a result of cool temps for the remainder of this week) but do expect the following weekend to feature the opening of many (most) of the local areas including the snowtime resorts. I will update again on the cold/rain/snow/ice if there are any new developments in the model outputs.
Jeremy
November 28, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
73 posts
Not that I plan on going skiing this weekend or anything, but I like to read the meteo-madness blog on accuweather often and he is sticking to his guns and says the GFS model is wrong.

Just something else to look at and fill the time. Here is the link to his blog:

http://www.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=meteomadness

It's funny to watch the local weather guys on TV hopping back and forth. One of the anchors made the mistake of trying to get the guy to say definite rain or definite snow and he looked really uncomfortable.
MichaelB
November 28, 2007
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
Henry Marquisity is the worst weather forecaster in the US. The only reason "crackuweather" keeps him around is because he continously tells people what they want to hear, not what they can expect. Go over to a reputable weather board like Eastern or Stormvista and the regular mets there think this guy is the laughing stock of the industry.

The test of a real prophet is whether his predictions come true. Let's revisit this at the end of next week for a big laugh. This guy is using the only model that doesn't verify. All the other models are in agreement for a Great Lakes event. What a hoot!

Here, I am going to save his prediction so we can check it:

the real snow is going to occur across parts of New York and northern New England into Maine as the secondary takes over. Also, I still want to emphasize that the cold air ahead of the storm will hold and many folks will see snow and sleet for several hours, despite any change to rain. This includes the I-95 corridor from Washington to Boston.
langleyskier
November 28, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: MichaelB
Henry Marquisity is the worst weather forecaster in the US. The only reason "crackuweather" keeps him around is because he continously tells people what they want to hear, not what they can expect. Go over to a reputable weather board like Eastern or Stormvista and the regular mets there think this guy is the laughing stock of the industry.

haha... ya that guy hypes up everything. you can never be sure about a snow event until it happens anywhere on the east coast (that is why i always put my warning at the bottom of any storm outlook post i make to ensure people know that i am only informing them of a possible future event... no sure thing). Also, right now it is just stupid to be going against the gfs because it has support for an east coast rain event from almost all other models.... so if the gfs is wrong, then all models must be wrong. Not saying this is not possible (we could still see a decent storm out of this if it went south) but it is just poor forecasting.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
fishnski
November 28, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Fishing is just like storm F-casting....Patterns& variables...put them together & try to figure it out. I see that there are begining to be a lot of W-watchers here on this site so I say lets have some fun....Good fisherman are like good F-Casters..they know a lot of what most folks know but have a few tricks up thier sleeves that give them that edge to be just a little better than the rest & they will not let you know them!..If you park your boat next to mine & I'm catchin & you just seem to be watchin & then you ask me what I'm using I'll probably tell you Fruit Loops or something just like they have told me in the past....I have had to figure it out on my own...
I can eat fish all week long using my knowledge but I am not good enough to be a charter Captain....I'm also pretty good at Snow F-casting but not good enough to be a pro....sooooo lets find one of you guys to be the PM Man where we can send you our predicts for an upcoming snow event & have a good ole fasioned Tournament!!...We can have a 48 hour predict & then a 24 hour away predict & see who is really good here...you all want to play?
langleyskier
November 28, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Haha... that would be fun. sounds like some of the contests we have here at school within the meteo department
jimmy
November 28, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Quote:
The test of a real prophet is whether his predictions come true. Let's revisit this at the end of next week for a big laugh.

MichaelB, langleyskierU guys don't know what ur dealin with GO Fish GO, andy is the Snow prophfet, the long ball hitter, bookie for ullr calling the long shots, if fishnski says itzgonna snow in CV u better get on the road ;\) ; if u all are going to offer yer prognostications for the WVAlpps please be FOREWARNED......

Quote:
I can eat fish all week long using my knowledge but I am not good enough to be a charter Captain....I'm also pretty good at Snow F-casting but not good enough to be a pro....sooooo lets find one of you guys to be the PM Man where we can send you our predicts

I'm too unredependable to accept your predictions but i'm all in forfn fisnski.

skier219
November 28, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
 Originally Posted By: MichaelB

I don't know about his overall reputation, but he pegged 2-3 storms last year when other forecasters were on the fence. For two of those storms, I took a risk and had awesome powder days. So I can't complain about Henry myself.
langleyskier
November 29, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: skier219
I don't know about his overall reputation, but he pegged 2-3 storms last year when other forecasters were on the fence. For two of those storms, I took a risk and had awesome powder days. So I can't complain about Henry myself.

I am just saying as a forecaster it is a poor decision to follow "instinct" when there is no model support. If i went and predicted a huge storm every time one appeared 7 days out and called it a sure thing it is certain that i will be right at least a few times per year. The problem is that people remember the times a forecaster pegged a storm far out more than when he completely messes up a forecast. It is just a bad idea if you truly want to provide an accurate forecast.

I am not saying that we need to give up all hope for at least something out of this storm for the mnts but at this point it is unlikely that it will be all frozen precip for even places like snowshoe and the valley. However, as i stated before this storm is going to funnel some amazingly cold air for this time of year down here and its possible that on tuesday even DC may struggle to rise above the freezing mark while most resorts sit in the teens with lows closing in on the single digits. Overall, from monday through at least thursday of next week should be plenty cold enough for resorts to crank out enough man made snow to open and bring in the real beginning of the 2007/2008 ski season. So although i know we will all be thinking "i wonder how much snow we would have if it were snowing instead of raining" on sunday just remember that this storm is bringing about some serious snow that will lead to skiing in the near future.
fishnski
November 29, 2007
3,530 posts
Jimmi..one thing I know for a fact is that I can predict with almost complete confidence that your posts will have a nearly 100 percent chance of being powerfully humerus,inciteful & downrite entertaining!..you da man!.....as far as storms go in our highlands we should not get so carried away with the storm itself but what it leaves in its wake....don't worry about Sat nite or sun...ck out what happens say about 2am mon morn till mom aft..& then see what a fresh batch of cold push brings us for tues....stay tuned!
David
November 29, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski
Jimmi..one thing I know for a fact is that I can predict with almost complete confidence that your posts will have a nearly 100 percent chance of being powerfully humerus,inciteful & downrite entertaining!..

You forgot grammatically incorrect....
langleyskier
November 29, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
as of now looks like the poconos/central PA north could get some good snow/ice out of this before we switch to rain. Unfortunately, it will be almost all rain for WV and the laurel highlands. As for DC, if you want to wake up at 5 am sunday go check outside and dont be surprised to see some flakes or sleet before going to rain. However, as said before, every resort will be rewarded after the storm in the form of lake effect/upslope snow and cold temps (just cold temps for local resorts). I am still sticking with my prediction of the weekend of Dec. 7th featuring the opening of almost every mid atlantic resort (despite possible showers for that saturday).
fishnski
November 29, 2007
3,530 posts
Yesterday at 5pm I said to not worry about anything till after midnite early mon morn for the WV snow country..this morn I posted at 5am that we should see temps cold enough for snow after 2am mon morn which I'm sticking with but the heavier stuff comes later mon & overnite for the Alpps....Its way too early but how about 2 to 5 inches (elevation dependent)(half foot on top of MPC!) by tues morn with more persistent light snow/flurries into thurs??!!....stay tuned!
JohnL
November 29, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Andy, dude.

You and me poach the top of MPC this winter. Like Bode at Bell's.

Vision and common sense are highly over-rated. Are you in?
fishnski
November 29, 2007
3,530 posts
Come on now...wer'e all buddies here..if any of you all think that I'm full of packed brown powder,,,just say it ...details people...we need details...lay it on the line..the wishy washy stuff is for the pros & politicians!(especially the Libs)
fishnski
November 29, 2007
3,530 posts
Hell yeh I'm in!..We wont be able to get to the top because of the dense spruce...not to mention that we are not alowed there but there are all kind of other areas where the snow blows to & lays deep...I ain't hiking it though...get me a good 4 wheeler!...I'm 47 & still hangin tough but I was still hoping to have a lift & nice cleared out runs to get me there \:\(
JohnL
November 29, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
Hell yeh I'm in!..We wont be able to get to the top because of the dense spruce...not to mention that we are not alowed there but there are all kind of other areas where the snow blows to & lays deep...I ain't hiking it though...get me a good 4 wheeler!

I'll be your neighbor this winter, ski Haus in Dry Fork. And I know a good lawyer or two in DC... Plus I could use a good aye - robe - ic workout by hiking in some snow drifts. At lot easier in WV by God than Utah by _____________?
fishnski
November 29, 2007
3,530 posts
Ski Haus in Dryfork huh? Time share? Who manages that rental? Anyway I can only make it up to my place 4 to 5 w-ends a year due to the 7 to 15(Snowstorm)hour dr from the Carolinas...The crunch & a few experienced guides will have to scope things out...I want you all to carry my ass up to my Statue!!!! ...We need to make a new thread for this....this one is reserved for weather geeks & we are trespassing allready!
David
November 29, 2007
2,444 posts
We need to make a new thread for this....this one is reserved for weather geeks & we are trespassing allready!

There is a great place to take this hijack:

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads33/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=36735&fpart=1
langleyskier
November 29, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
this one is reserved for weather geeks

Who you calling a weather geek?? ;\)

-should be great in areas where the pow collects due to wind.. hope you all have fun! im thinking that if we get anything to really stick here i may pull out my ski sticks and try and poach a few turns before my meeting for new instructors next monday night!!!
crunchy
November 30, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
And I know a good lawyer or two in DC...
there's a good lawyer in Davis thats on this board too \:\)
jimmy
November 30, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hijack??? What u rookies talkin about a hijack......u think this is a hihack!?

Quote:
Andy, dude.

You and me poach the top of MPC this winter. Like Bode at Bell's.

Vision and common sense are highly over-rated. Are you in? "

NONONO DUdes this is just a subtopic of the weekend storm primary topic do i have to flowchart it fer u or what, u et guys can't get it w/o a flowchart......hee, words to live by that vision and commonsense bit, but i digress from the topic.....u see this isn't a hijack because if fishnski hits this predictshon like he usuaslly does, poaching the top of anything is directly related to Weekend Storm, see?

Quote:
this morn I posted at 5am that we should see temps cold enough for snow after 2am mon morn which I'm sticking with but the heavier stuff comes later mon & overnite for the Alpps....Its way too early but how about 2 to 5 inches (elevation dependent)(half foot on top of MPC!) by tues morn with more persistent light snow/flurries into thurs??!!....

Next week will be Nordic delite in canaan valley and Thursday morning coinsides with the opening of, oh who was it oh yeah Timberline;, Crush, PJcomprex when u guys comin down? Seeya
nexjg
November 30, 2007
Member since 12/7/2006 🔗
23 posts
So my question is when should I go to snowshoe? It looks like tomorrow (Saturday) will be the last dry day before the storm comes. However the weather channel calls for some snow showers Monday & Tuesday - would those days be a good bet? The rest of the week looks like a rainy washout and I'd hate to wait another 2 weeks before I can finally go skiing...
squirrel
November 30, 2007
Member since 11/30/2007 🔗
19 posts
anytime bro who cares about what isnt just go ski and forget about the rest of the world make the best of whats there
Roger Z
November 30, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I think this storm is tracking further north than was forecasted just a couple days ago. If out here is any indication, you could be looking at a big rain event in the Mid-A. Just a canary-in-the-coalmine report, take it for what it's worth.
nexjg
November 30, 2007
Member since 12/7/2006 🔗
23 posts
hah ... squirrel is my nickname, its almost like you are my inner conscience talking to me over a forum.
fishnski
November 30, 2007
3,530 posts
I'm taking a star off you Roger...you have to read the earlier pages..you can't just butt in on the last page & then make some lame butt canary in the coal mine comment! You are in a diff time zone but thats no excuse...do your research!..we gave up on the weekend snow storm 2/3 days ago...we are talkin wraparound you mudda.....you been shacking up with a sinorita in a tent or something lately? Your brain is whipped!..tighten up boy....peace..
fishnski
November 30, 2007
3,530 posts
U R so rite Jimmi...This wasn't a hijack at all....come on back & play Johnl...we love you buddy!....all these rookie squirrels running around here tryin to get a nut! Remember you rooks the silver backs rule here!...glad to see you all though..keep on posting!
squirrel
November 30, 2007
19 posts
last i heard its tough for a silver back to catch a crafty squirrel.
tgd
November 30, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
...we gave up on the weekend snow storm 2/3 days ago...we are talkin wraparound you mudda.....you been shacking up with a sinorita in a tent or something lately? Your brain is whipped!..tighten up boy....peace..

It's the wraparound stupid! \:\) Yeah yeah...always the wraparound. Sit on the wraparound. Bet the house on it. Big east coast storms brings cement to WVA. The wraparound brings the sweet stuff. Live for the wraparound...
fishnski
November 30, 2007
3,530 posts
Thank God..another vet speaks up!...squirrels are paranoid & get stuck in mogels....luv fishnski..
Roger Z
November 30, 2007
2,181 posts
The point I was trying to make was that the forecast has declined even over the last 24 hours. We've gone from a snow shower to a near-all-rain event in that time period, with forecasted highs changing from upper 30s to 56. The front is gonna bring a lot more warm gulf air up then they were anticipating, even 2-3 days ago when you gave up on the storm.

The broader point is that if they haven't factored this big increase in yet back east, they most likely will soon, and if they do, I wouldn't put much stake in the wrap-around early next week. There won't be much of anything for it to stick to, and if there is any manmade you wanna ski on it will be rock hard ice.

I'll make sure to spell things out a little more clearly next time.
fishnski
November 30, 2007
3,530 posts
I hope you knew that I ws joshin you in good nature...do we need funny faces?..You are wrong though..we will have a good wraparound with impulses & light clipper types...Like Jimmi says...openibg day for TL will be a nordic paradise!!!
squirrel
November 30, 2007
19 posts
right now would be a good time to pray for anything. i'll take what i can get when i can get it. But dont get me wrong light fluffy pile is king!
TravisR
November 30, 2007
Member since 12/4/2006 🔗
79 posts
Well, even though we'll probably get nothing worth writing about where I am, at least my son had snow today...by the way, i sold my backyard blizzard today and this will be the last pictures of snow made by it. Still have the home-made one though.

We built a snowman after I got home from work. I made snow this morning for about 1 hour at 19f, great conditions.

I guess the best we can hope for is those impulse(s) that ride in after the front blows through.

squirrel
November 30, 2007
19 posts
...once in while we all get stuck in moguls...squirrels just have a tendency flow through them like mercury, unlike the baboons that create them with bad turn shape and even worse form...be waiting for u at the bottom!!
fishnski
November 30, 2007
3,530 posts
Squirrels spell better than fishies...MOGUL...see ya at the bootom!
Roger Z
November 30, 2007
2,181 posts
Yes, funny faces would help. Things are not so good out here right now- I'm facing a lot of unbelievably tough things at work (personally as well as others around me) so my humor radar is a bit kablooey at the moment.
fishnski
December 1, 2007
3,530 posts
Happens to the best of us Rog..you'll come out smellin like a rose..think positive & wait out the doldrems..good times are around the corner! All the respect to ya...now lighten UP!! \:\) ;\)

.......Don't Squirrels run into trees?...
bawalker
December 1, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I know the feeling of things not being good in and around... heck this past August I was evicted from the home I lived in after a nasty relative wanted to be spiteful and cause injury and harm to my business, etc. So until the new house is done, I'm living in a trailer owned by another relative with no water or kitchen hookups... go me!
skier219
December 1, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I hope things work out OK for you at work Rog. Things are a bit stressful at NASA right now, since we have impending deadlines and milestones coming up in the design of the Ares and Orion space launch systems. I'm actually working from home right now. It's to the point that some of the projects are being denied leave, which sucks at this time of year with the holidays and a lot of use-or-lose leave in the bank. And at the same time as we have more work than we can handle, we know there's a budget shortfall coming in another year or so, and there will likely be layoffs like we had in 05.

Throw on top of that the likely policy change coming to the White House in 09, and it's not a real comfortable "forecast" (gotta stay on topic). I miss the old days when we knew we were going to get paid to do good aerospace research no matter what. Now it's year to year and administration to administration. The current 8-year stretch has been the worst I can remember. Despite having one of the best NASA administrators ever (Mike Griffin), I will be glad to see a change in the White House this time around. I can only hope Griffin sticks around. He's a good guy, and really the only reason NASA is still in one piece right now.

Personally, I am going to adopt a "Dude" (Lebowski) attitude and say "F-it, let's go skiing" even if it means working four 15 hour days in a week to free up one ski weekday every now and then. I damn well know that skiing is more beneficial to my long term well being than work. At least I can be assured that I will still love skiing a few years from now, when there's no telling where fickle politics and budgets will be. Shoot, this is probably one more big clue telling me to build a career around skiing. Maybe I will get it someday!!
skier219
December 1, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Oh yeah, and my main point was going to be -- feel free to bitch about work here, if it makes you feel better. Please join the club.
Roger Z
December 1, 2007
2,181 posts
So does this count as a successful thread hijack? \:\)

The problem with my job isn't the work, it's the unnecessary pressure that comes with it. A couple of coworkers are on medication now due to job-related stress, one appears to be overmedicating and is developing health problems, and the person in charge is basically doing whatever he wants without telling anyone else in the department what he's up to. Some of his actions I suspect could be borderline illegal if they were documentable, to be honest.

It's one thing to see a dysfunctional organization, it's another thing entirely to see people you're working with losing their mental health because of... we're not really sure, to be honest. My only consolation in this hell is that I'm not on meds, so I'm winning. \:\) Oh, also- I have a fantastic wife and apart from the job, life is pretty good (VT's win today helped!!!). Hopefully I'll be in a better place soon where even if there's job stress, it's actually stress related to work, which is comparably speaking a very nice stress to have!

It's 56 and raining here, just like they forecast. I don't care- today is football day and I'm just waiting to see if Mizzou can deliver a can of whoopass to the Sooners.

On another note, I always try to use smiley faces when I'm joking around just 'cause it's not always easy to figure out what people mean when they're writing text. Or lots of exclamation points. Or something.

Oh, also, I'll probably delete this post in a couple of days. Yes, it's that bad at work- if someone saw this and figured out it was me I could get fired. They're basically in the process of trying to get me fired right now (stemming from the fact that I didn't wear a tie to two separate events- I kid you not. See what I mean about "non-work-related-stress"???), so I shouldn't even be writing any of this at all.

oh yeah, more good news: Wolf Creek reported almost three feet of new snow this morning in the last two days- strike that- FORTY INCHES of new snow as of this evening. Starting next winter, I'm pretty sure I'm going to start making an annual pilgramage out to that place. It just flippin' rocks all around.
skier219
December 1, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Geez, that sucks. Keep your head above the water!
langleyskier
December 2, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Ouch.... hang in there man that is just ridiculous! hopefully you will be able to get in some turns soon and relieve that stress!!
JohnL
December 2, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Roger,

Ouch! CYA on the work stuff. Even if the job is not a long-term keeper (which it sounds like it's not), sometimes it's best to suck it up, play by the short-term rules and exit when it best suits you. Stratergy, my man. Quitting on your terms generally earns you some more $$ and better pow-pow in the future. Kinda like choosing your lines in a mogul field or above a cliff band. Or the best happy hour beer. (Sometimes the short-term rules can be a year or longer.) Nothing wrong with that; I've done it several times myself in the past.

I do thank you for hijacking this thread even beyond my hijack. Though I guess I'm a current accomplice in your hijack, but WTF. My previous hijack excuse: massive amounts of alcohol on a school night. And there is nothing like reading your posts at 1 PM the next day thinking did I really post this stuff...
Crush
December 2, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
heh J. - well i went to th DC National Ski Show and i filled out lots of contest forms .... for the first time in my life i checked off the "+$150K" box ... buuuut iso miss the turns. And the booze!

Yeah done the "drunk writing thing" heh so tromano laments but hell i've been drunk for about 4 years until now ... snowcone 'll tell ya i had bottles rollin' around my 4x4's floor for way long -

now i'm a software developer
i got money in the bank
and crap i don't drink so much anymore !!!!

everything in it's place
JohnL
December 2, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Roger,

Tried to send 14 MB of Wolf Creek Pix to you, Brian, & Zach and they all bounced due to lack of space. Email me about options...
JohnL
December 2, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Crush,

Good to know that a hardware geek like you can pay his bills working on software. I guess I won't starve when I hit the job market in the near future after five years at the same company.

More money == better beer! Or finer wine!
Roger Z
December 2, 2007
2,181 posts
John- have emailed you about options. Hopefully, my current job will at least allow me to receive large emails. If not, it's worthlessness has become absolute. \:\)

You're right, you have to leave a bad situation on your own terms, and I'm certainly being choosy and selective. For the time being, I'll probably have to stay in KC but my hopes are that the housing market SOMEDAY rebounds so I can keep wending my way west- Co Springs or even Denver would be just fine (or Alamosa- that's only an hour or so from Wolf Creek, right? ). But the missus will want to work, too, so Alamosa probably wouldn't fly, unless there is a fantastic architecture firm there that I'm unaware of.

My long term goal is to be a ski-at-home dad. I promised Sandra I would teach the children all of my morals. That only seems to make her more emphatic that I keep working. I don't understand women at all. What's wrong with placing drinking and skiing above all else in the world? It's not like I want to run the damn place or nuke small countries or torture kittens, for Pete's sakes.

Thanks for the words of encouragement all. Hopefully things will get better jobwise soon, otherwise life is generally pretty good, even in Kansas!

ps- and now I know why I moved to Kansas: so I could watch from the lion's den as VT dissected KU in the Orange Bowl. Suddenly it all makes sense. I've already hung my VT flag off my front door. GO HOKIES!!!
fishnski
December 3, 2007
3,530 posts
OK OK Roger feels better now.....did anybody catch Bawalkers drift?...keep on gettin on Brad...we will all be Ibottas one day if we keep working on it..good luck Buddy!
jimmy
December 3, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Don't worry bawalker, things are never so bad they couldn't be worse.

I dont think Rog will stick it out as long as lbotta but a Beltway bandit??? ha i should someday be so lucky,....johnL & Crush have not taken the drunk<line thruit> posting pledge, i'm sober and broke for nearly 24 hours now; So andy if a silver back cant ski moguls, what does a squirel eat?? ??

Nutz.

What about a storm this weekend?
bawalker
December 3, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Just got home from a week long trip close to being in Cincinnati. Anyway on my drive home I got into MAJOR snow at Wisp. At least 1-2" on the ground this morning with almost whiteout conditions all the way down through Mt. Storm. It was heavenly.
fishnski
December 3, 2007
3,530 posts
Once off Mt storm it was gone wasn't it Brad?...Hey Jimmi..those Squirrels ain't eating nothing right now up at TL But an Arctic blast & if it don't warm up by this weekend like its supposed to then we are going to see a Squirrel version of Donners pass up there..cuz they will be eating themselves!!
Roger Z
December 3, 2007
2,181 posts
C.S. Lewis was right: Hell is a bureaucracy.
bawalker
December 3, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Actually the snow started in Ohio on I-70 just as I started reaching the smaller hills. The snow was nothing more than brief wisps of accumulations along the edge of the pavement and it became more noticeable as I got closer to Wheeling around the St. Clairsville area. Up there, the grass on the hills was white, but roads were dry. After leaving wheeling this cleared up until I started leaving Morgantown and started up that incline on 68 in Preston County. It started snowing hard with the shoulders of 68 turning white and in some spots, the lanes going white briefly.

When I reached Friendsville exit #4 (I cut down to Wisp that way) the roads were white for the secondary roads. Finally when I did reach US 219 at McHenry it was coated solid with a good 1-2" on the road with all parking lots of all stores packed. I drove US 219 to Oakland where I took 560 about 10 miles down to US 50 to Mt. Storm and finally took 42 from there to Petersburg. Sure enough the secondary roads from Oakland all the way to Mt. Storm looked like a blizzard hit AND it was still snowing hard. Once I reached the edge and started descending, the affect was almost instantaneous. After the first 2 turns of the descent, the snow covered road turned into a wet road with the amount of snow falling and amount of snow in the grass getting less and less until I reached none at the bottom. However it did snow from Petersburg until I reached Wardensville where it flurried on and off lightly.
Gary E. Cann
December 4, 2007
Member since 11/28/2007 🔗
6 posts
Wisp says they got 4" yesterday with another 2" so far today, with snow the remainder of the week. Let it snow!
squirrel
December 4, 2007
19 posts
dont know about eatin nutz, might be slightly nutz, but i'll be skiing nutz this weekend at da wisp. if any one ones nutz enough to keep up find me. let it snow, let snow, let it snow, sooooo.............we can get our nutz
JohnL
December 4, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
C.S. Lewis was right: Hell is a bureaucracy.

Hmmmm. I think we should schedule a meeting to discuss this. Roger Z., can you prepare an agenda? I'll then distribute it to the usual suspects and normal email distribution lists. Remind me to archive the emails to the RNC, cuz they may lose them. Be advised to make sure you make enough copies of your PowerPoint(tm) slides. Include the speaker talking points in 12 pt Hellvetica with a VA Tech serif. Double spaced, of course. Follow all instructions contained in MIL-SPEC-2167Z, ignoring Appendix D (but pay particular attention to instructions in Appendix A, Rev 21.) Schedule in advance with the copy center; their sign-up sheet is in Hallway B. Or is it C? Anyhoo, it's only open on every other Thursday, and this Thursday is their Holiday Party so we'll have to move quickly. After the initial meeting, we'll then have to schedule some follow-up meetings to resolve any outstanding issues from the meeting. If the issues are too difficult to tackle, we'll likely need a separate working group for each item. You'll be a great coordinator of those groups. The working groups will need to report back weekly to the main group. It should go quickly since we have a can-do company. I think. I'll need to check with Mary in Accounting to verify this, so don't think this is a firm commitment on my part. Once we've finally resolved all those issues, we'll need buy-in from Jerry Lewis. And then Jerry Lee Lewis. If Ray Lewis doesn't object. If he does, we'll also need to talk to Joe Louis. An maybe Louie Louie. Do you think so? Of course the next step would be to file environmental impact statements on the possible adverse affect to squirrels, other varmits, and possible ozone layer depletion if Mount Porte Crayon were to be developed to the summit. Don't forget to take several 8x10 glossy photos of those mammals with a circle and arrow and a paragraph on the back of each one splaining why this is important. If we don't, that idle mind Waxman may subpoena us and I really do hate having to invoke bureaucratic privilege.

And don't forget to read the TPS reports!
bawalker
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Don't forget to run this past I.T. to ensure that they can have enough cable ready to install new Cat6 drops for the IP phones in the meeting offices. They also will need to have the appropriate permissions setup for the new user accounts for everyone planning to attend so that everyone can have full access to the Exchange server to where they can modify the global calendar in Outlook. But be careful, IT is scheduling an update from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 over the weekend with periodic downtimes so make sureyou request that account info advance and make sure everyone has logged on once before 2pm friday afternoon.

:P
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Snowing in DC right now. Snowing at Snowshoe too, since the weekend. I'm headed there tomorrow morning. Too bad I have to come back Saturday to head off to New England on Sunday... Who wants to be in Florida when you can have snow?
Roger Z
December 5, 2007
2,181 posts
Gads, if your bureaucracies provide that much feedback, I'm envious. Here are how things work around here:

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert200711295245.jpg
bawalker
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
LOLOL
bawalker
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
It's snowing in Lost City, WV right now and I have to leave to head to Martinsburg in a bit to work so I'll be curious to see how much snow is out and about in the world. Right now it's between 1/4" and a skiff... so we'll see if the 4-5" measurements hold up.
David
December 5, 2007
2,444 posts
All counties in this area are canceled today....sure would to be at Snowshoe tomorrow......... \:\(
Kris
December 5, 2007
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Almost 4" in Buckhannon right now. Clarksburg has quite a bit too. Just heard on the radio another 2-4 on the way and maybe 4-6 if the snow band hits just right. 6-8 for the valley 8-12 if the snow band hits. But looking at the radar, I really dont see the snow band they are talking about??? So who knows...who
cares...ITS SNOWING

Forgot to mention i stayed at a B&B at wisp monday night...and the 4" they said they had...Was an understatement. Not sure if I was getting some overspray from the snow guns or what, but it looked like a lot more than 4 inches tuesday at around noon or so...
MangyMarmot
December 5, 2007
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
How was Wisp? much open there??
David
December 9, 2007
2,444 posts
Sorry, but I am just looking for a place to rant...It is raining unbelievably hard right now here at my house. I must say that it is a miserable experience....Would have made for some nice powder.....poor little water molecules never did make it to their full potential...maybe they will someday \:\( \:\(
Roger Z
December 9, 2007
2,181 posts
I've scraped ice off my truck three times in the last 36 hours, and a half inch to an inch of ice forecast for tomorrow night out here. The two inches of snow we got on Thursday may very well be frozen to the ground until March, who knows. At least we got some sleet today (you know things are bad when you are excited that it sleeted), which added enough granularity that I was able to walk on the sidewalk for the first time this weekend. But it is damp, and it is frigid (18 with high humidity is not very pleasant). I'd almost take the rain right now... almost.
bawalker
December 9, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
It rained all day at Wisp, rained even harder on the way back and what made it worse was the fog. I learned today that you can go down mainstreet when it's foggy and not realize there are mogules there and that you WILL fly, even if upside down. lol
David
December 9, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: bawalker
I learned today that you can go down mainstreet when it's foggy and not realize there are mogules there and that you WILL fly, even if upside down. lol

Well, we do learn something new everyday.....lol upside down huh??
bawalker
December 9, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Yup, upside down. Me and two other friends were hanging out over there for 2-3 runs before meeting the others on North Camp. Anyway with it raining harder by this point and my regular glasses fogging up to the point that I could barely see forms in the snow I decided to tackle mainstreet for a second run. I'm slowly making my way down sogging wet and half blind with the fog and foggy glasses. I an trying to hang right in the middle of the trail but I ended up testing a whale. I made that part just fine only to toe carve a bit too far over to the middle and unable to see a small mogul till I hit it. My upper body flew "over the handlebars" per say and my feet and board go strait up in the air with a small but noticeable airtime with that. I land on my back and slide another 20 yards only to get jeers and laughs from other people on the lift. I did hear a "get off the slope if you can't ride jack***" The guys I was with had a blast laughing and I felt like I accomplished something for such a dreary day.
David
December 9, 2007
2,444 posts
Ouch....bruises to your body and your ego.....The bruises to your body generally heal pretty quickly, but as for the others....I know how you feel though..I did the same thing under the lift at Timberline a few years back. I thought I would be cool and hit up some powder....bad idea...I looked like a snowman by the time I got back onto Upper Thunderstuck. The whole time I could just hear people laughing and yelling right above me \:\( \:\( \:\(
fishnski
December 10, 2007
3,530 posts
They were the J-offs! Unbelievable how brave folks can be when you can't get to them! Rude unfeeling A-holes....Ride on Brother!
bawalker
December 10, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
There is a reason why I want to carry ski poles with me whether I ski or not... launch those things up at them on the lift. ;\)

Actually no bruises for me, ego wise or body wise. The rain slushed spring like corn conditions allowed me to take a fall easily and skid to a normally safe stop. The ego part actually felt good that I was being a bit more aggressive on the slopes already this year than last or the year before last. I've kind of adopted the attitude over the summer that I'm going to go at the slopes that have given me problems in the past with an aggressive attitude and have fun regardless of the outcome.
langleyskier
December 10, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: bawalker
I've kind of adopted the attitude over the summer that I'm going to go at the slopes that have given me problems in the past with an aggressive attitude and have fun regardless of the outcome.

haha... thats the spirit! Just make sure to get a helmet for yourself so that you can assure that the outcome does not end up with a busted head.... also, i found that when i started skiing with a helmet i was willing to take more risks and try more advanced terrain at higher speeds which in the long run has paid off nicely into my development as a skier!
bawalker
December 10, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I've been wearing a helmet since I started boarding back around 02 or so. I'm the same way, having the helmet gives me more confidence just to ride. Where I struggled before was my own confidence at carving, stopping on steeper terrain, variable conditions, etc. When I went on Sunday and hung out with some guys that have been boarding for a long while, it really let me whip it out to keep up with them and handle terrain. Several years ago when we all went to wisp I could barely keep up and was slow and almost a burden. Now we all can zip down the blues and tackle the blacks at the same pace.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.