November cold & snow teaser
22 posts
9 users
6k+ views
fishnski
October 23, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Yesterday it looked like the 2nd or 3rd of Nov would begin a cold spell...now things have moved up to Halloween! There are even Model hints of snow by the end of the 1st week. Yeh..Heard that before right?..Well, Timing of cold snaps is the key to Mid Atl skiing. We don't need the cold air to come too early in Nov & then peter out by T-Giving...stay Tuned..& Waxed!
skiTLINE
October 23, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Look at accuweather...(yes I kow its not always the most accurate)

Look at zip 26260 (Davis) for 11-15 days out. It gets BUTT COLD. Down highs in the 40's and lows in the teens. Also chance of some white stuff.
kwillg6
October 23, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
yup!!! I ski in warmer weather than that all the time. Key is, we need a frigid snap the week after t-giving, for oh, say, 7 to 10 days. That would give the sno farmers a two week window to put some white down for opening weekend . Oh, why not really dream....then we get a 30+ inch fall of heavy wet that packs down in the glades and those, uh, happy runs . Followed the next week with 20+ inches of pow pow..... I better stop now. Getting way too excited :).
David
October 23, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
yup!!! Oh, why not really dream....then we get a 30+ inch fall of heavy wet that packs down in the glades and those, uh, happy runs . Followed the next week with 20+ inches of pow pow..... I better stop now. Getting way too excited :).

After seeing a post like this I sit around and wait for a post like this one to come: "This is only a dream. The Mid-Atlantic will never again see these sort of weather patterns due to the harsh reality of Global Warming. Long gone is any chance of getting large early season (mid-season for that matter) storms. Skiing in the Mid-Atlantic is basically an endangered species, soon to become extinct." Sound familiar???

Back on topic, I had planned to do some camping/fishing in the Cranberry Backcountry this weekend, but with possible rain, temps in the 30's, and the fact that there is a fire ban right now, I think I may go to my buddies camper outside of Elkins. I am not complaining though. Bring on the cold!!!!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Roger Z
October 23, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
It got down to 38 last night here in Kansas City. I was very excited about the sub-40 overnight lows until I got home and my heater wouldn't turn on. The heater is two years old, what could possibly be broken???? We'll find out tonight. Anyway, it would have been fun- kind of like camping in your own house- except the oncoming bill kind of ruins your amusement. Sigh...
skiTLINE
October 23, 2007
230 posts
Me and the whole family will be at Tline for Thanksgiving this year (Tues-Sun). If memory serves me correctly 2 Turkey days ago we had an amazing snowstorm. I mean AMAZING. Was already several inches on ground and while we were deep frying turkeys it snowed for what seemed like 48 hrs straight. HARD. Got over 2 feet that holiday. Hoping for maybe a repeat ;\)
Jeremy
October 23, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
73 posts
Well, I just lost out on a rental I was trying to get at WISP for January....

....and now this:

Accuweather Winter Outlook
Roger Z
October 23, 2007
2,181 posts
That is clearly a cause for optimism:

1) accuweather is never right
2) 120 day forecasts are never right
3) these two negatives do not result in a positive

Based on Accuweather's forecast, I'd say there's a strong chance that Washington will look like The Day After Tomorrow by Thanksgiving! \:D
langleyskier
October 23, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
fishnski... i agree its finally starting to look like we are going to get a pattern change. Also even better is that the La Nina is expected to start weakening soon which could have drastic effects on the weather this winter (1996 was a weakening nina and weakening ninas are known for colder and snowier winters on the east coast)! This true cold weather is still 8-10 days out so i really dont expect to be quite as cold as accuweather is forecasting but I think its safe to say that DC will probably be saying goodbye to the 80 degree temps and can forward out for a first frost around november 2nd. Also, it looks like we are going to get a good soaking over the next week from multiple systems which will be great for filling up snowmaking reservoirs just in time for the start of the snowmaking season! Lets just hope this cold holds and strengthens so that resorts can begin snowmaking operations and open for thanksgiving!
Clay
October 23, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I think Joe Bastardi is more accurate than most but make sure you take it all in.... Look at the graphic titled 'Winter Ice and Snow' the below normal line is to the EAST of the WV alps. And look farther down at the graphic 'Winter Precip Departure vs Normal' - the above normal area (green) is to the WEST of the WV alps including places like Canaan and Snowshoe.

Clay
fishnski
October 24, 2007
3,530 posts
I remember that storm very well! I was putting My new house up there together & was driving the ole lady batty cuzz I couldn't concentrate on what we were doing..I couldn't stop looking out of the windows. The house would shudder with the wind gusts & the snow would drive up & over the neighbors roof...amazing scene!..I remember that during the 2 days of cold & snow there were contractors building a house down the road & was amazed to keep hearing the nail guns going off even during the worst of it. There are still some tough hardy american workers out there...gettin R Done!
David
October 24, 2007
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: skiTLINE
Was already several inches on ground and while we were deep frying turkeys it snowed for what seemed like 48 hrs straight. HARD. Got over 2 feet that holiday. Hoping for maybe a repeat ;\)

That is funny because when that storm hit I too was outside frying a turkey. We didn't get near the amount of snow that the valley did, but it went quickly from a pleasent day to a blistering cold and windy one. It did make for an exciting time trying to pull turkeys out of 400 degree oil though!!
kwillg6
October 24, 2007
2,066 posts
Haven't heard from you in a while, Clay. This forcast is the reason I own and ski in the valley. While folks in Virginia are teeing it up and biking and hiking, the WV Apps are the closest thing we can have to winter. Even in warmer, snowless years in VA there was always some confidence in the fact that I would be on the snow on weekends through March.
skiTLINE
October 24, 2007
230 posts
 Originally Posted By: David
Was already several inches on ground and while we were deep frying turkeys it snowed for what seemed like 48 hrs straight. HARD. Got over 2 feet that holiday. Hoping for maybe a repeat ;\)

That is funny because when that storm hit I too was outside frying a turkey. We didn't get near the amount of snow that the valley did, but it went quickly from a pleasent day to a blistering cold and windy one. It did make for an exciting time trying to pull turkeys out of 400 degree oil though!!

Hell, we had to build a damn structure around the fryer to keep flame going. Took a table and flipped it then used whatever else was around. Wind was blowing like crazy. I tell you though, nothing, NOTHING could have been more fun that day then deep frying turkeys, drinking beer, in a blizzard.
David
October 24, 2007
2,444 posts

Hell, we had to build a damn structure around the fryer to keep flame going. Took a table and flipped it then used whatever else was around. Wind was blowing like crazy. I tell you though, nothing, NOTHING could have been more fun that day then deep frying turkeys, drinking beer, in a blizzard.

Yeah, I had an 8' plastice table turned over keeping the wind out of the flame too. Great minds think alike!! Speaking of deep fried turkey, I love that stuff! Wouldn't mind having some right about now....
skiTLINE
October 24, 2007
230 posts
 Originally Posted By: David

Yeah, I had an 8' plastice table turned over keeping the wind out of the flame too. Great minds think alike!! Speaking of deep fried turkey, I love that stuff! Wouldn't mind having some right about now....

Well come thanksgiving we will be doing 3 more at TLine
crunchy
October 24, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Haven't heard from you in a while, Clay. This forcast is the reason I own and ski in the valley. While folks in Virginia are teeing it up and biking and hiking, the WV Apps are the closest thing we can have to winter. Even in warmer, snowless years in VA there was always some confidence in the fact that I would be on the snow on weekends through March.

same here kwill! this sums it up nicely. it was almost 60 and sunny in nova when this was taken. I love the cornice \:\)

fishnski
October 24, 2007
3,530 posts
Now THAT IS a cold & snow Teaser Crunchy!....Keep hope alive!
David
October 24, 2007
2,444 posts
That thing got huge this Winter....It sure looked imposing
Roger Z
October 24, 2007
2,181 posts
Great tagline Dave! \:\)

Don't think there will be a frost in DC on Nov 2nd. This weather is cold but only about 5-7 below average, and no big fronts moving in behind this (our weather here in KC tends to be two days ahead of whatever strikes DC- at least when the weather turns zonal like it is now- and since there's no forecast of a reinforcing shot of cold air in the next 6-8 days here, there probably won't be in DC in 8-10 days). We were in the upper 30s last night and more of the same tomorrow night, though, so that's promising!

Of course, the WV Alps are another story...
kwillg6
October 25, 2007
2,066 posts
that cornice reminds me of the one we hucked off on Allegheny Mountain several years ago. (ouch!) The stupid things you do when with a bunch of crazy people who drink beer.
fishnski
November 7, 2007
3,530 posts
Well..the 1st snow f-cast is a bust!..batting 0..we got the cold ,but what happened to the snow? What a friggin tease! Its flurrying & trying to conger up a mini squall as I right(WV Alpps) but thats a far cry from the 2 to 6 we were supposed to have at this point.Lets hope things are right by T-Giving for the Hustlin ski areas like SS & Wisp/7springs....what went wrong LSki?? Too dry of an atmosphere & not enough push over the Mtns..Why did that happin...Enquiring minds want to know!.....Whats the answer DAMIT!...Here is to many more teases & Pleases...Take a shot everybody..& CHEERS!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?