Autistic Kid Missing in Dolly Sods
26 posts
17 users
9k+ views
SCWVA
October 17, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
While sitting on the beach yesterday, I read an article in the paper about an autistic kid/person who got lost in Dolly Sods. Does anyone know if they found him? Did or are there any DCSkiers or CV locals helping in the search?

I also noticed a message in the Shout Box from billhoo
crunchy
October 17, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
yeah thats not good, especially since it's in the wilderness area and it can be real easy to lose the trail or get lost since alot of the trail intersections are not marked with much more than a small pile of rocks or something. wish i could get out there to help, but stuck in nova till saturday at least. hopin for the best.
Ullr
October 17, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I can get up there Saturday. If help is still needed, how do we go about volunteering?
jonjon1
October 17, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
As of last evening I heard on the radio that they had not found him. They are taking volunteers at the Lodge at Canaan Valley Resort.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 17, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
We need lots of prayers, DCSkiers.
Who ever goes to the Valley this weekend keep the rest of us informed as to the status of the missing person.
Thanks,
The Colonel
wojo
October 17, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
We need lots of prayers, DCSkiers.
Who ever goes to the Valley this weekend keep the rest of us informed as to the status of the missing person.
Thanks,
The Colonel

This is about the worst nightmare I can imagine.

Billho, if you are in the valley pass on out thoughts and prayers and best wishes.
myrto
October 17, 2007
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
There are 300 volunteers searching for him, he has been lost since sunday afternoon and cannot effectively speak. He hasthe mind of a 3 - 4 year old. My god he must be so scared. we need to find him. pray hope meditate anything we can do.
Ullr
October 17, 2007
532 posts
Who all is thinking of going?
Roger Z
October 17, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
How's the weather in the Sods right now? If it's warmer than usual, that's a good thing (I suppose that goes without saying but since we all instinctively root against Indian Summers, for once it'd be good to be on the wrong side of that cheer, no?). Is there a link to the article? I could forward to the OCVT group at VT and see if anyone from there might go up.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 18, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Civil Air Patrol could use Winwood to do air searches (if that is not already being done). Most CAP pilots are trained in Search and Rescue.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 18, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Does anyone on the list have ground search and rescue experience for wilderness areas? What is involved in such a process?
SCWVA
October 18, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Here's what I found online.

Online Article
Roger Z
October 18, 2007
2,181 posts
Thanks, I forwarded it to OCVT with a quick note. Maybe someone from down there can provide some assistance, too.
crunchy
October 18, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
from WDTV:

"About 300 people were in the woods again Wednesday, and even though Jacob is still missing, search dogs were able to pick up his scent.

This development comes two days after crews discovered his hat on a trail near where he is believed to have disappeared.

The command center has also acquired data about lost autistic children that says there is a 25% chance Jacob is within 4/10 of a mile and a 50% chance that he is in within one mile of where he disappeared.

Rescue crews are using that information along with other clues to come up with probabilities as to where he most likely is.

Rescue crews still need your help.

Crews will be meeting at the ski area of Canaan Valley around 7:00am Thursday. Folks are reminded to being 24 hours worth of supplies and to dress appropriately.

The command center is also asking any residents of the Dolly Sods area to walk their property and to check any barns and out buildings where Jacob might feel safe and stay.

The command center is also asking that donations be stopped for the next few days because of storage problems"
yellowsnow
October 18, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
I just heard he was found...dehydrated but otherwise ok. Unconfirmed, though.
Ullr
October 18, 2007
532 posts
myrto
October 18, 2007
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
That is the best news!!!!omg Kudos to all the volunteers that helped make this possible.
tromano
October 18, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Glad to hear he was found. After working for 3 years with an NPO that supports developmentally disabled youths I am not surprised that they had so much trouble locating him, even in a small area.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 18, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Great news, I hoped that his age and health would pull him through. Thank God.
David
October 18, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
AWESOME NEWS!!! The family goes to a really big church in Morgantown, which has helped to spread the word like crazy. It seems everyone you talked to had some sort of connection to the family. Needless to say, this entire area has been booming with prayers and support for the past 4 days. I am so glad that they all paid off. I am sure there is going to be a big celebration soon!!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 19, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Great story, great result, and great effort by the search party. I can't help thinking, whether due to prayer or global warming, the extremely warm weather this October played a part in saving his life.
jimmy
October 19, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Jacob Allen's mom called the warm weather "the breath of God" on the Today show this morning. Also saw wvrocks, i think, on the same report after the search was over, looked like you were giving some thanks too DB.

Sounds like the weather has turned for the worse today and that would have compounded the challenge for Jacob as well as the search crew. The confidence the family and the search/rescue crew had that Jacob Allen was ok and would be found put a lump in my throat.
Roger Z
October 19, 2007
2,181 posts
Yay! I was looking at weather.com just now and saw the rain moving in to WV, and thought... uh-oh. So I came over here to see if there had been any updates and lo-and-behold, Jacob is found and safe! He had as good a chance as any thanks to the nice weather over the last few days. Good for Jacob, good for his family! I hope they have a great time at church this weekend!

ps- this was a national story, apparently. My cousins who live out here had heard about it, so I told them a bit about the Sods.
kwillg6
October 19, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I helped one time look for a couple of hikers/snowshoers one winter years back up in the sods. You would've thought it would be easy in the winter, but snow blows and tracks drift over. Quite an ordeal. They were located in less than 18 hours. Cold, hungry, and none the worse for wear because they were dressed and equiped for the weather. However, this instance would be very difficult indeed. Just be thankful that the weather was warmer. If the weather were normal this season the outcome may have been different.
wvrocks
October 19, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
 Originally Posted By: jimmy
Jacob Allen's mom called the warm weather "the breath of God" on the Today show this morning. Also saw wvrocks, i think, on the same report after the search was over, looked like you were giving some thanks too DB.

Sounds like the weather has turned for the worse today and that would have compounded the challenge for Jacob as well as the search crew. The confidence the family and the search/rescue crew had that Jacob Allen was ok and would be found put a lump in my throat.

Yep, I was there with Canaan Valley VFD working with the Incident Command. We really couldn't have asked for a better resolution to the situation. The weather was great, all the agencies exhibited outstanding teamwork, and the outpouring of support from everyone was simply amazing. There aren't words to convey our thanks to everyone who helped.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 19, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
wvrocks,
Not enouh words to say "Thank you" to you and all the others that participated in the search.
For those using the MSN browser there is a video in the major news box about the rescue.
Thank God!
The colonel \:\)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.