Your ski plans for next season?
30 posts
22 users
13k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 6, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Ok. We made it past the 4th of July. Now it's time to start thinking about what your skiing plans are for next season. What have you got in mind for local and distant skiing/boarding action?

Me:
-Will continue to ski around the local region when and where the spirit moves me. Especially enjoy the occasional DCSKI onslope convocations.
-Glad to hear about the hopefully positive developments at Hidden Valley. Might be interested in making a first ever visit there and report to the masses on it?
-Can never rule out a 3 or 4 day trip to New England.
-Also, I've long regretted never skiing in Eastern Canada. With new requirement looming for passport to enter by car and only one person in my family of six holding an active passport, this seemed to be another factor against getting there. But now they have delayed the new rule until summer of '08, so maybe I'll put that on my radar screen.
-not sure I'll get out West this year. Might have to live vicariously through frequent reports from new Utahrd TROMANO :-)
-my sister just moved to Italy for 3 years, would love to get over there to visit Rome with her and then ski Alps. Seriously doubt I'll make it this season, but maybe this will drive me to square away the passport situation.

What about you?
crunchy
July 6, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
good thread idea! Well..... the purchase of a condo in canaan valley pretty much put the kibosh on a trip to chile or argentina in august, but next season Im sure Ill be skiing in WV pretty much every weekend and many midweek days since I have a place and a season pass. I'll probably take a few jaunts from canaan to snowshoe as well, and hope to maybe get to whitegrass a few times and learn to tele \:\) when the season comes to an end here, ill take a last hoorah trip again to utah most likely \:\)
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
July 6, 2007
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Local when the DCSki and Epic crowd gathers and when condition entice. Gotta get back to T-line maybe Wisp just to ski their new stuff. I'll wait to hear about Snowshoe.

I'm definitely headed west either to an Epic Colorado gathering or maybe to Utah (Yunz hear that tromano and bushwhacker)

I'd like to do a long weekend in VT, Mad River if conditions are right.
tromano
July 6, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
So stoked for this winter. Will be a pass holder at Beaver Mtn. in Utah. Will probably spend at least a few days days at each Pow Mow and Snowbasin. Also I want to ski Brighton because i hear goods things and have never skied there before. And will probably road trip to either Tahoe, CO, or Jackson!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
David
July 6, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I will definitely be hitting up the local WV resorts as much as possible. I am praying for a good December because once class starts back in mid January I won't get many chances to do any mid-week skiing. Gottta love having Biochem and Organic II at the same time.... I also plan to make another trip to VT for some fun on the snow.
jimmy
July 6, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I planz to ski 50 days next season .

Yup only five months til ski season. Got Tline pass and i think a pad lined up for next season. Talking about another trip to VT, possibly ski/stay at Smugglers Notch. Utah crew is talking about trying colorado next year, not sure if i'll do that or stick with Utah.

What i'd really like to try this coming season is a Mid-Atlantic tour. SkibumMSP's road trip to Pocono's last year sounded like a fun thing to do.....or maybe hit Wisp on a friday, canaan/saturday, tline/sunday, snowshoe/monday.
comprex
July 6, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Vermont and Colorado early, before New Year's.

NH for Thanksygive is possible, weather dependendent.

After that, PA & WVa, mostly on fully-edged touring gear.
Crush
July 6, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
 Quote:
....Utah crew is talking about trying colorado next year, not sure if i'll do that or stick with Utah...

gosh Z-man ! i'll be so hurt if you ski ut. without me ! lol just kidding . i plan to hit my ol' home turf sometime around late march . but for now i guess it will be liberty-whitetail-seven springs and out your way .... just look for the guy getting his lift ticket cut for excessive speed ;-) .

c u @ the thing on the day in the place near u in aug. (is that still alive???)

e.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
July 6, 2007
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Iffy on Whistler. Been there five in a row. Still like it because of the glacier area and the amenities in the village. But with the Olympics closing in, it is becoming increasingly expensive.

Definitely Snowshoe. I finally have finished upgrading my place at the Summit Condos there, and with the new trails on the old Widowmaker side, it will take off some of the overcrowding at Ballhooter. However... Flume and Hootenany watch out. It will be a demolition derby. AND... with two coffee houses on the way now, it will be a more leisurely ride... Plan to be at Snowshoe at least a month.

Definitely Stowe and Smuggs. Back to my Alma Mater only an hour away and be able to wish I was living in Burlington.

I plan to ski at least 50-55 days.

Definitely
Crush
July 6, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
 Originally Posted By: tromano
.... Also I want to ski Brighton because i hear goods things and have never skied there before. ..

ski brighton !!! it's the first 2 open ! great western lift is a blast! it's the place to go if you want to be a ut homey . and they have thurs. night skiing too .. limited but hey whatever.
Ullr
July 6, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
The whole family will be heading to Colorado this year. It will be my kids first trip on an airplane (ages 9 & 8). Mrs. Ullr still has to pick the place (Aspen is out, too much $$$). Would like to get to Blue Knob, if the conditions are right, and would like to do a day hike to Black Monashee.
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
July 9, 2007
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
Still too early for me to plan destinations for next season, but I missed my annual Utah trip last year because of work. I'm hoping to make that up and get out to one other western mountain as well-- haven't tried Big Mountain yet, that might be the one. The biggest plan for me is to learn to tele. I've been slowly acquiring gear from SteepandCheap (Super Stinx skis, adjustable poles, and Riva bindings)and picked up some end-of-model-year Scarpa T1s last spring in California. I'm hoping some lessons at Whitetail and Timberline will get me doing those cool-looking turns and into the CV backcountry. I know a DCSki tele day has often been discussed; maybe this is the year we'll put it together.
Roger Z
July 11, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I heard from my step-father yesterday. He's already booked a condo at Park City in January. I couldn't believe it. He and my mom used to tell me to stop hectoring them when I would insist on making reservations in SEPTEMBER, now he's out booking rooms in early July without consulting the family. Looks like he's getting ready for retirement just fine!

My ski plans are a bit aflutter right now. First, it's July, and I usually don't start thinking about skiing until August. Second, my fiancee is returning to El Salvador in September and there is a planned but as-of-yet-unscheduled trip to go see her for a few weeks. When? I dunno. Will it require time off from work? I dunno- could be between jobs.

But I do know this: I'm getting married in El Salvador next fall or early winter and that IS going to consume most of my vacation time, so next winter will consist of- at best- a couple long weekends in Colorado. So if I want a weeklong ski vacation, this will be my last chance for a couple years.

And JohnL- I am planning another long weekend fling somewhere. Might head out Brian's way to go to Baker or Crystal. What would you say to that?
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
July 11, 2007
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
For 2007-2008 I am looking to continue my visits to small out of the way ski hills around the country and report on the adventures.

Also I have a trip planned for Xmas to Granite Peak in Wisconsin (600ft of drop) the in laws live near by hopefully there will be snow so I can escape. And after a Spring break trip earlier this year where it was 30 degrees in Florida; we will be going to Colorado this year.

My proudest moment of the last ski season was having my entire family on a ski lift! Both sons ( 6 & 4 ) learned to ski last season and my wife finally returned to the slopes.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 11, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
 Originally Posted By: oldensign

My proudest moment of the last ski season was having my entire family on a ski lift! Both sons ( 6 & 4 ) learned to ski last season and my wife finally returned to the slopes.

Brilliant strategy to keep ski slopes in your future.
One of my proud moments was when my son skied Extrovert at Blue Knob for first time in Feb '07. When he skied it 10 times in a row one afternoon in March pride turned to envy :-)
JohnL
July 15, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
And JohnL- I am planning another long weekend fling somewhere. Might head out Brian's way to go to Baker or Crystal. What would you say to that?

Hmmmm. Count me in. Never skied Wash State or Oregon. Have skied Whistler/Blackcomb. You'll have to coach me down the cliff areas next year. I may even navigate them wearing blue jeans. I say a 10 footer for each of us, even the knuckle dragger.

Looks more and more likely that I'll still be at the same job thru next Winter (unless my boss reads this post.) I was planning on moving on this summer, but haven't accomplished all the goals I set out for myself (and to get the hefty raise.) Which could be a good thing for the upcoming Winter. Plenty of vacation time, an accommodating supervisor, no long term plans with the company... I predict a lot of colds and flu boughts next year...

Possible wild hair scenarios for me next year.
  • Become a shareholder at Mad River Glen.
  • Have a job lined up and take 1-2 months off in the Winter.
  • Maybe not worry about having the job lined up.
  • Ski Timberline, Canaan Valley and Blue Knob more times.
  • At least a couple of trips out to Utah.
Bumps
July 29, 2007
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
Good thread. timely. I Was just looking at setting up a week for when my kid has summer break in late feb. Maybe Smuggs or out west. To keep the proud parent subtheme going as well, last year it was when my kid started taking his snowboard down black diamonds and was really ripping them up with short powerful turns. He was skiing the mountain versus surving. Very cool.
Bumps
July 29, 2007
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
ahhh new forum messed up my bump skiing stick man in signature. gotta work that!
dcmidnight
July 30, 2007
Member since 11/11/2006 🔗
125 posts
Wife and I just made reservations for what will be my 7th trip to Whistler in January.

Hoping to do some local skiing in the meantime but with our work schedules it ends up being weekends only for the most part and thats just not worth the hassle/effort to me for the most part.
tromano
August 1, 2007
998 posts
I just bought passes for Beaver Mt. For next season. Is better than Cash-Money!
SCWVA
August 15, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Probably do some skiing at WISP. WISP updated part of their website for 07/08 season and they're still offering the 4th graders ski for free program (season pass). A skiing buddy and I both have 4th graders with good grades. Sounds like trouble.

I just realized another one of my kids will have a season pass before me.

Need to ski Blue Knob. And the Valley is always calling.

Less than four months away....................
SkiBumMSP
August 27, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Ahh yes - DCSki!

I haven't really had a chance to get on here, as I've been pretty busy, including trips out to San Francisco, and spending a good two weeks out in Wisconsin (family reunion!) Took me three days to drive out to Hayward, WI.

As to my plans for this year. Well, I'll be doing the Massanutten thing again like I've been doing for the past 7+ years. A trip to Steamboat, CO looks to be in the cards. If I can pull it off, I'd love to do that Pocono's road trip again, as that was a lot of fun. I was really impressed with Sno Mountain. Those guys there really treated me like I was part of the crew there. And of course, I have to get up to T-line again! That place was really awesome and really seemed to become a place in my heart. They really treated me like I was part of the family there. I've really enjoyed getting to finally get to meet and ski with a number of you guys! Still pissed that I missed closing weekend due to illness this past spring. I also still need to hit up a few of these areas that I've yet to ski such as Wisp and Blue Knob, especially if I can hit the latter on a good powder dump like what was experienced this past Feb! Those glades look to be a friggan blast to ski!

What may help is the fact that I have landed a new position that is now earning me some serious money compared to my old job (I'll be able to pay for that Steamboat trip with just the extra money I'll make in a single paycheck, on top of what I used to earn! My 2005 car is also paid off already! I guess it is time to seriously talk with an investment broker :o) Not only that, the leave policy is extremely liberal, with a "use it or loose it" policy, so it looks like some weekday jaunts may be in the cards as well. Needless to say, I am very excited about my future prospects as well as finally getting out there to lay down some fresh turns again.

Here's hoping to get to ski with you guys again!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Steve,
Great to see you are still alive and in the area. Super about the new job! Still at the same place?
Look forward to seeing you on the slopes again this winter!
The Colonel \:\)
kwillg6
August 28, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Steve, good to hear from you. Was afraid that you were swallowed by the killer whales on the drop. I am thinking of going west sometime this winter to enjoy the pow bounty that blankets many areas. Don't know exactly where yet. More on that later.
crunchy
August 28, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
I am thinking of going west sometime this winter to enjoy the pow bounty that blankets many areas. Don't know exactly where yet.

how about a dcski group trip to BC for some cat/heli powder ski adventure \:\) I think most places encourage groups to book together that have similar abilities so nobody holds anyone else back, etc. Monashee, Valhalla, Snowwater, are all pretty close to the US border, like maybe an hour from spokane?
tromano
August 28, 2007
998 posts
I would be willing to meetup with some DC skiers if any are out here in UT this winter.
kwillg6
August 29, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
A group trip would be fun. I don't know if DC ski has ventured there before. However, it doesn't keep a few of those who are adventurous from putting one together. I think that there will be a trip organized by some of the regulars out of the valley this year. I've hooked up with a few in past years and had a blast. These were guys and women that I have skied with for years. They have done Vail, BC, and Solden. A trip to UT or Tahoe would be next on my agenda but would consider anything if time permits.
fishnski
August 29, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Drink up!! Steve's buying at TL Pub this winter..The MSP at the end of your handle must now mean..Money Spending Peep! The Bum is Gone!.....Congats & see ya on the slopes!!
SkiBumMSP
August 29, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Steve,
Great to see you are still alive and in the area. Super about the new job! Still at the same place?
Look forward to seeing you on the slopes again this winter!
The Colonel \:\)

Well, I am still living in the same place here in Fredericksburg. As for the job, I am with this tiny company that is doing, shall we say, some very "interesting" work. It is definitely one of those "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" type of things. \:o It was tough to leave a position of nearly 14 1/2 years, and to leave many good people behind, but I just could not pass up the opportunity of that much more money, plus it only take me 15 minutes to get to work (I only have to commute up to Garrisonville Rd in Stafford ).

As for buying a round at the TL Pub - If I can only find a seat in that damn place!
warren
September 5, 2007
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
All,
I'm in a very uncertain state this fall. I'm HOPING that I can make it out at all, even if it's just a couple of times to Whitetail.

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.