May 30, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
That is pretty Effed-up
Roger Z
May 30, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Any minute now, temperatures will plummet to minus 150 and wolves will roam around NYC. The skiing should be fantastic!!!
kennedy
June 1, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I think it's effed up that it dumps when the season is over. In other news. Front page of the Fianancial Times this morning "Bush in U-Turn on Global Warming".
Clay
June 1, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Well maybe if it keeps doing that they'll extend the season \:o

Clay
Roger Z
June 3, 2007
2,181 posts
Hey, speaking of global warming, look who's suddenly taken an interest in all the poor birds being clocked by wind plants:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070603/ap_on_go_co/congress_wind_power
tromano
June 4, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Well, we are in the midst of a long and severe drought here in the midatlantic. Yesterday's rain was a drop in the bucket.
kennedy
June 4, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
You've got to be kidding me. They want to cut back on windplants because birds and bats are getting hit by them!?! How do you even quantify that to show it's that much of an issue? When I worked in Denmark they had those things everywhere. The deal went something like you provide the land and pay to have the windmill constructed then you sell the power back to the electrical company. Your own power is free and you make enough from the power company to make the payments on the windmill. After it's paid off you basically have free energy and are making money from selling the power back to the electrical company. One of my aunts friends was doing it at the time. They had a farm in the middle of nowhere so it worked out well. They also installed a biogas chamber. Basically when they house cattle for the winter the cows crap ends up stored in a big tank. Unlike a lot of tanks where it's open vented this one was sealed off so that the methane produced was collected then burned to heat water to heat their house. I can't remember all the details of how it worked because this was over 10 years ago but apparantly it was very efficient and the savings in home heating bills were on the way to paying off the set up costs. I think they may also have gotten a grant from the government as it was considered a research project.
Roger Z
June 4, 2007
2,181 posts
If I could take half the rain we've gotten in Kansas City in the last four months and ship it to you, I and all my basement-flooded neighbors would gladly do it in a heartbeat. The whole state is awash in water right now. We're also having unbelievably pleasant weather at the moment. My grass also grows about 18 inches a day. And don't even get me started about the weeds...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.