59 posts
13 users
87k+ views
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kwillg6
May 3, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,074 posts
It's probably been discussed before, but it would be nice to do a Summertime gathering of DC Ski regulars, even if just for dinner somewhere. Maybe do something in conjunction with the advent of the late summer ski shows in August. Just a thought.
skiTLINE
May 3, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
What about a pig roast in the valley?????

I am sure we could find all needed materials there locally. Get a hog, throw it on, drink beer, play horse shoes, volleyball, corn hole (fun game)....etc.

Just another idea ;\)
crunchy
May 5, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
count me in! The oatmeal stout i just brewed should be ready in time for said gathering \:\) theres also a chili cookoff comin soon to CV i thin
tromano
May 7, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I would be interested depending on the location.
RyanC
May 7, 2007
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
Since a good number of us on these boards have places in Canaan Valley, I think a CV-area gathering would be great. Count me in! I like skiTLINE's suggestion.

Also, as I've been pretty involved in the CV wastewater meetings and CV PSD formation, I can fill everyone in on things. The more second homeowners know about this topic, the better.
kwillg6
May 8, 2007
2,074 posts
What about a july weekend.... after the 4th or any other for that matter. I plan on being in the valley a lot this summer. Want to get the feel of what full time fells like. Hey Todd, what about the pig idea? Sounds like a great idea.
jimmy
May 8, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Canaan Valley sounds good to me, pig, beer & brats whatever. Might be a nice opportunity to do a little pruning if you get my drift ;\) .
kwillg6
May 8, 2007
2,074 posts
I got me a cain saw, lopers, saw, summer beer, a grill, and can pick up some road kill on the way.
crunchy
May 8, 2007
596 posts
if someone is gonna host the shindig, tell me your favorite style of beers at least a month in advance so I can brew some up and bring a case of choice homebrew \:\) Ill even help with some yard work or whatever in exchange for some floor space or yard space to toss a tent up to crash in case I have a few too many \:\)
skiTLINE
May 9, 2007
230 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
What about a july weekend.... after the 4th or any other for that matter. I plan on being in the valley a lot this summer. Want to get the feel of what full time fells like. Hey Todd, what about the pig idea? Sounds like a great idea.

Let me do a little research. I am sure theres gotta be a place to get a hog up there. We are supposed to be going up this Friday May 11 to settle on our new place. I will check around for the swine.
skier219
May 9, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I hate to cross-post stuff from Epic, and can't even say for sure I'd make it out for a gathering. But if I am able to join you guys and somebody can provide access to a reasonably large grill or a smoker, I would be glad to contribute some of these babies in lieu of a full on pig roast:

That's fall off the bone tender, hickory smoked pork ribs (one slab spice rubbed, the other sauced). I have been perfecting the smoking/cooking procedure for a few weeks, and let me tell you, these are killer-good.

We did a pig roast this weekend with family/neighbors at my mother in law's, and that was pretty awesome, but I prefer the smoked ribs for convenience and end results -- I think the payoff is better for ribs-done-right than pig-done-right. But hey, it's all good to me!
skiTLINE
May 9, 2007
230 posts
OH YEAAAA

Ribs....
kwillg6
May 9, 2007
2,074 posts
Floor space is not a problem. I should have some crash space in either my place at Bonner or at my condo. \:\)
RyanC
May 9, 2007
160 posts
Let's start throwing some potential July/August dates out there!
Crush
May 9, 2007
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,281 posts
hey if u make it late july or in aug i can be there ... i will have moved back to dc by then.
jimmy
May 9, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
That explains this?

Quote:
Sorry I can't say more right now my heart is so broken today.
Crush
May 9, 2007
1,281 posts
Jimmy - no. i lead a complicated but rich life - at more than some personal cost. a woman broke me. not who you think. the rest is too personal. thanks, though.
kwillg6
May 10, 2007
2,074 posts
Yeah Crush, that's what I was thinking in the first place. It could be a really good time to do something since we will be ready and primed after the heat of summer. ;\)
skier219
May 10, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
 Originally Posted By: Crush
hey if u make it late july or in aug i can be there ... i will have moved back to dc by then.

What brings you back to DC???
kwillg6
May 11, 2007
2,074 posts
Why not look at August 4th? I'd say July 28th but I have a HOA meeting/picnic that day and will be tied up with homeowners and their normal festivities. I can do any weekend for that matter but am throwing a date out for discucssion if we do it in the valley.
jimmy
May 11, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
August works for me.
RyanC
May 11, 2007
160 posts
Why not look at August 4th? I'd say July 28th but I have a HOA meeting/picnic that day and will be tied up with homeowners and their normal festivities. I can do any weekend for that matter but am throwing a date out for discucssion if we do it in the valley.

I also have a HOA picnic on 7/28! August is usually the nicest summer month in Canaan. I was thinking August 11th (so as to have a weekend 'home' in B-More between the two CV weekends)- but if the 4th is better for the majority of you, that's fine also.
kwillg6
May 14, 2007
2,074 posts
Well then, how about the 11th? We are talking of doing something in the valley or where? Are we looking at a picnic or are we going to go somewhere for food? Do we want to plan biking, golf, or hiking? Maybe we can just follow Jimmy through the woods as he bushwacks a few tree lines at Timberline. I can offer the picnic area at Northwoods for a gathering place or at my place at Bonner Mtn and then we can let Jimmy mark the first runs down Mr. Bright's Almost Heaven.
Crush
May 14, 2007
1,281 posts
e. say - "o'tay" .. and i can pontificate about making a life in ut and skiing and read really bad poetry .
jimmy
May 15, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Weekend of August 11 Tline is hosting

Quote:
Racefest VIII "Timberline 50"
Paul Koontz production with motor bike races and ATV races. Special events for all participants and visitors alike including food and entertainment. For complete vacation planning and reservations call (304) 866-4801. Affordable bunkhouse lodging is available. Bunkhouse is located immediately on site at race center. Popular rock band appearing live Saturday at 9:30 pm. Join us at one of the area's biggest rock parties both nights. Early morning Saturday breakfast will be served in the ski lodge at 7am. Timbers Grill and Pub open for lunch and dinner with late night menu. No cover charge for musical performances. Scenic chairlift rides Saturday and Sunday.

Paul and I happened to be in CV a couple years ago while this was going on, for people who like that sort of thing it's the sort of thing those people will like. Probably will be no glade skiing that weekend though.
kwillg6
May 15, 2007
2,074 posts
I knew there was a reason I suggested the 4th over the 11th. I'm not a big fan of buzz-buzz, gobs of mud, and watching the mountain getting trashed. Maybe the 4th... a lot quieter and less crowded. \:\)
RyanC
May 17, 2007
160 posts
The 4th, 11th, or even better yet- the 18th would work for me. Would the 18th work? If not, let's go with the 4th.

Any ideas on particular locations in the valley? I'm thinking if the weather is nice, we could throw a hike or bike ride in sometime that day/weekend!
kwillg6
May 18, 2007
2,074 posts
The 18th would work if some of the others agree. It's a week or two closer to the "real" season and that's fine with me.
jimmy
May 18, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
OK the 18th is probably my best shot.
Crush
May 18, 2007
1,281 posts
.. o'tay . that will allow me to crash at some sort of motel nearby before driving back the following day.
jimmy
May 18, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Crush/crash

Floor space is not a problem. I should have some crash space in either my place at Bonner or at my condo. \:\)
JohnL
May 19, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
 Quote:
Crush/crash

LOL. When Crush crashes, he goes big. Ski equipment, four-legged mammals, furniture, street signs, little kids all beware.

Actually, the 18th is the only weekend in August I can make it out to WV. I'd be up for a gathering that weekend. With bribes of some summer brew, I may even volunteer to help clean up the crash/crush debris.
kwillg6
May 21, 2007
2,074 posts
The 18th of August it shall be. Let's pick a place, time, and determine what type of event we want to attempt. As you know, it'll be prime summer beer time then.
RyanC
May 29, 2007
160 posts
The 18th of August it shall be. Let's pick a place, time, and determine what type of event we want to attempt. As you know, it'll be prime summer beer time then.

Sounds like a plan- looking forward to it! Given CV's unpredictable weather, it could either be a beautiful weekend like this past one (I hated having to come back to B-More's heat & humidity) or rainy and in the 50s, so maybe something outdoors that could at least shelter us from potential rain or indoors somewhere? Maybe a combination of both wwith the option for an outdoor activity, weather permitting? Unfortunately, my 1 BR condo wouldn't be suitable for anything. Definitely summer beer time
Clay
May 29, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
18th works for me. Just don't expect me to participate in anything strenuous (i.e. biking). I love to watch others sweat though \:\)

Clay
jimmy
May 30, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Ya Clay, I'm with ur program while the others are out crashing w/Crush, we'll keep the bier tromanoed ;)....speaking of beer, is it time top discuss the menu??

Might get some of this this

And i'd really like some of this

Originally Posted By: skier219

That's fall off the bone tender, hickory smoked pork ribs (one slab spice rubbed, the other sauced). I have been perfecting the smoking/cooking procedure for a few weeks, and let me tell you, these are killer-good.

We did a pig roast this weekend with family/neighbors at my mother in law's, and that was pretty awesome, but I prefer the smoked ribs for convenience and end results -- I think the payoff is better for ribs-done-right than pig-done-right. But hey, it's all good to me!
kwillg6
May 30, 2007
2,074 posts
Why don't you guys pick it and then we'll decide how to do it. After all, it's a "community effort." Remember, "Beer is Food too."
crunchy
May 31, 2007
596 posts
Why don't you guys pick it and then we'll decide how to do it. After all, it's a "community effort." Remember, "Beer is Food too."

i can handle the tasty beer/ale duty, but if don't drink microbrews, you are on your own \:\)
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 31, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,989 posts
I shared a bottle of this once with Jimmy: http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/Beer/Beer-Reviews-31944.htm (some funny reviews).
It was a pretty bad, low carb brew, but he proved to be no beer snob and gladly guzzled it down. Not sure Coors makes it anymore.
jimmy
May 31, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
JimK you're not telling the hole story ;), almost busted until you pointed out to the cafeteria lady that it was "like odouls" no alcohol, hehheh. She even let us finish them right where we were at. I do like some beer more than others but u r right, I'll drink almost anything .
jimmy
July 7, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: RyanC

Sounds like a plan- looking forward to it! Given CV's unpredictable weather, it could either be a beautiful weekend like this past one (I hated having to come back to B-More's heat & humidity) or rainy and in the 50s, so maybe something outdoors that could at least shelter us from potential rain or indoors somewhere? Maybe a combination of both wwith the option for an outdoor activity, weather permitting? Unfortunately, my 1 BR condo wouldn't be suitable for anything. Definitely summer beer time

So what's it gonna be the G6 summit or Bonner mtn BARbQ&MaSH Bash??
crunchy
July 19, 2007
596 posts
Bonner bonner! \:\) Id offer to host it but my condo is pretty small inside, but I do have a big common area in the backyard which would only work well if the weather is nice. But wherever it is, Ill have at least a case of the oatmeal stout I brewed at the Shenandoah Brewing company a few weeks ago. (custom ski labels and all!)
fishnski
July 19, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Just got back from 4 days of Hard labor & hard cider at my camp up there....78 was the hottest it got. Found a kick butt swimmim/fishin hole 15 min from my house. 20 to 30 foot deep clear water with these large granit walls on one side for diving off of! You could see the smallmouth bass & other varieties of fish from the ledges above the deep hole.....Back to the lowland heat but good surf & fishin!...life is good(But hard!!)
Crush
July 19, 2007
1,281 posts
ok guys I'm in DC now .. so let's do this thing in Aug!!!!!
RyanC
July 23, 2007
160 posts
 Originally Posted By: crunchy
Bonner bonner! \:\) Id offer to host it but my condo is pretty small inside, but I do have a big common area in the backyard which would only work well if the weather is nice. But wherever it is, Ill have at least a case of the oatmeal stout I brewed at the Shenandoah Brewing company a few weeks ago. (custom ski labels and all!)

Only 3 1/2 weeks to go!! So... Saturday 8/18, time and place TBD.
RyanC
July 23, 2007
160 posts
crunchy, where was the "no snow removal" sign picture taken?
crunchy
July 24, 2007
596 posts
crunchy, where was the "no snow removal" sign picture taken?

at the entrance of dolly sods wilderness area at FR19 and Laneville road. If you don't mind the bumpy ride, its actually possible to cut through dolly sods just west of Petersburg all the way to 32 right below cv state park. altho it doesn't save you any time from driving around dsods past Seneca rocks on 55<->32.

Scott added capability of having images in the signature and ive been having fun with it. if anyone finds it obnoxious tho, let me know and ill stop playing \:\)
fishnski
July 24, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Wuzzzzz uppp Home Biscuit?? U Pm me & I give u directions to the fishin/swimmin hole & U don't respond & I feel SOOOO Used!!!....I guess thats what happens to you when you get a place in the "Valley"...I'm just out of the valley..I don't rank.. \:\)
crunchy
July 24, 2007
596 posts
haha, sorry man.. who loves ya baby? i was busy making muffins with the stash of blue berries I copped from dollysods \:\)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 1, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
fishnski,
How cold was the water? It must have felt freezing when compared to the lowland surf and sound water temps.
Have you thawed out yet?
The Colonel
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 1, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
fishnski,
How cold was the water? It must have felt freezing when compared to the lowland surf and sound water temps.
Have you thawed out yet?
The Colonel
crunchy
August 9, 2007
596 posts

Only 3 1/2 weeks to go!! So... Saturday 8/18, time and place TBD.

so, since its only a little over a week away, might be a good time to work out some details like, who brings what kind of dead animals to bbq, etc etc. Lookin forward to meeting some peeps in person instead of through the keyboard \:\) ... I think the only person I've met in person is jonjon from davis.
kwillg6
August 10, 2007
2,074 posts
I understand that it's Jimmy, Clay, myself, crunchy, and who else? I can always offer up my Bonner Mtn house as the location (if I get my grass mowed that morning) I can also bring whatever... Are we looking at the basic burgers and dogs or something more exoctic such as ribs, kabobs, or roasted foul, maybe?
I could also offer the horeshoe at North woods where both Clay and I have places. It's convenient to t-line lodge as well. Or, if anyone else wants to offer their place, let us know? I'm flexable and ready to meet some folks outside of their mode.
crunchy
August 13, 2007
596 posts
i thought i saw a few more people here that were planning on coming based on past posts? Hopefully more will come up since its such a beautiful place to be in the summer!

Northwood might be cool since there is a jazz fest at tline this weekend i believe, so if you like jazz it would be easy to stumble to \:\)
Clay
August 14, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it either due to scheduling conflicts. I'm sorry I won't get to see you guys.

Clay
JohnL
August 15, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
Add one more to the no show list. Looks like I'll be stuck in Virginia this weekend picking out building supplies; I have a deadline to meet for contractors doing some work on my house.
kwillg6
August 17, 2007
2,074 posts
Looks like almost all have bailed on the gathering this weekend :(. maybe we can try again in the fall or early in the winter.
JohnL
August 17, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
 Quote:
Looks like almost all have bailed on the gathering this weekend :(. maybe we can try again in the fall or early in the winter.

As many can attest, reliability and punctuality are not two of my common traits on the weekendz. I tend to overdo them Monday through Friday.
crunchy
August 17, 2007
596 posts
yeah might have to wait till there is snow to ski on for people to make the trip \:\)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?