OT - Any Virginia Tech students/alumni here?
9 posts
8 users
2k+ views
SkiBumMSP
April 16, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Go to check the weather on the news and this is what I find!

Over 20 killed due to gunman(men?) on campus. Could this be a college version of Columbine?

I know of several guys at work that are VT alumnus. Being that I've gone to college myself (in my case Clarion U of PA), I can relate to how horrible this must be. I am truly sadden by this and my sincere condolences and prayers to the students and alumni of this fine institution. This is horrible!
wvrocks
April 16, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Truely a terrible situation. I just got an email from my sister, her husband goes to VT and was in a building near the Engineering building. Luckily he is fine. They have been locked down in his office for several hours now.
David
April 16, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I have a cousin that is a student at VT. He just responded to an email that I sent him saying that he was ok. What a terrible tragedy though....
langleyskier
April 16, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
35 kids from my graduating HS class went there (are now freshmen). i know at least 4 people that live in the dorm building it all started in. as of now all kids from my HS are accounted for. i am just in shock that this all has happened so close to home and the fact that i know so many people that could have easily been one of the 32 killed. just pray that the rest of the injured survive and that VT kids can recover from this tragedy.
Roger Z
April 16, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Yeah us VT alum are all in communication right now (I graduated last May). One of my professors apparently taught in that building this semester, but fortunately was out of town today. He was one of the best in my department and just a great guy, if he had been hurt or killed I'd be a wreck right now.

Murphy lives down in B-burg and has been keeping me updated as the day goes on. Not much else to report on other than the same rumors everyone is hearing on the news- lovers' quarrel, premeditated, etc.
Murphy
April 16, 2007
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
It's hard to pull the facts from rumor but the facts are that a gun man shot 2 people in dorm room at 7:15. I believe both died later. 2 1/2 hours later a gun man shot 28 more people in a building clear across campus and then shot himself.

The rumor is that the first shootings were the result of a lover's quarrel. The boyfriend was the shooter, the girlfriend the first victim and the dorm RA the second victim. It's not clear to what degree he was armed when he was in the dorm but he was clearly well armed by the time he reached the academic building across campus. Stories are that after walking into the building he chained the doors shut to keep people from escaping.

Hard to even comprehend.
tromano
April 16, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I have been glued to the TV all afternoon since learning about this horrible disaster on the ride home. It is so horrible. As a current college student at GWU and graduate from UMD I am shocked that this sort of thing would happen on a college campus by students. My heart goes out to the victims friends and families and the people of VT.
SCWVA
May 24, 2007
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I just became a Yankees fan. MSN Fox Sports
Roger Z
May 24, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Damn Yankees. \:\)

Interesting story: my office said absolutely nothing about the whole massacre on our internal website. When I wrote them to ask why, they said they don't post any news or notes about events that don't directly affect our operations.

Two months later, I saw that they posted all sorts of information about how to give money to the victims of the tornado that hit western Kansas a couple weeks ago. I wrote to ask whether the policy changed. No one wrote back.

Yeah, no double standards at my place of employment.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?