9 posts
8 users
2k+ views
tromano
April 3, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Well is it?

I have never skied there anyone want to take a newbie?
skier219
April 3, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Take a look at some of the recent forum postings on timefortuckerman.com. It's not looking great this year, in fact Sherbourne (sp?) trail is mostly brown. In years past, Tuck has had more snow in May than what I am seeing now and you could ski Sherbourne almost all the way down.

I skied it once in college, and it was fun. I did not climb to the very top and ski the headwall -- I started a bit lower where hucking cliffs and rocks was not required. Still fun -- there is a line for everybody. I might be a little more adventurous if I did it again, but the skiable lines down the headwall are looking sparse this year!

But hey, if you get a chance to go, definitely do it -- it's a life experience. Just be prepared for a wide range of weather conditions.
fishnski
April 4, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
There is a BIG dump coming...snowing now & would not be surprised to see a foot & a half or more by sat/sun. Is Wildcat still open?..... Follow up...NWS F-cast is calling for 10 to 20 by thur aft with snow in f-cast thru mon!
Roy
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I've never been either and it's on my to do list. However, I did (sniff) put my skis away for the season yesterday. It's always so sad.
kwillg6
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
It's on my "top 10 things to do before I die" list also. I've already knocked out several on that list already. Glacier sking in Austria, sking in July, buying a house in the WV Alps. Tuckerman's will happen in the next several years as will a Switzerland ski trip, and the spouse's top ten trip to Antartica.
skier219
April 4, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

There is a BIG dump coming...snowing now & would not be surprised to see a foot & a half or more by sat/sun. Is Wildcat still open?..... Follow up...NWS F-cast is calling for 10 to 20 by thur aft with snow in f-cast thru mon!

The problem with fresh snow at Tuckerman is that it can't really be skied -- it avalanches rather easily and is very unstable. Normally you have to wait until spring to ski there, after the winter's snow has avalanched and what's left has set up firm. Not sure how fresh spring snow enters into the equation, but it would be dangerous skiing to say the least, if not for the skier then for everyone else in the area!

Some of the lift-serviced skiing in the area would be awesome though!
tempfishnski
April 5, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
Wildcat ski area(in site of tucks) has gotten 2 feet of new snow at thier summit with more to come. This mountain has a lift that in 6 minutes will give you 2112' Vert of Kick butt skiing...not to mention a view unrivaled anywhere! Alta,Utah has maybe 1800" max off of one lift..Catch that Crunchy?...Somebody is loving life right now...& when the snow pack settles Tuckermans will be will be the place to be......I think I could be there by now as much time as I spend on this computer ....East Coast Rules!
langleyskier
April 5, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

Wildcat ski area(in site of tucks) has gotten 2 feet of new snow at thier summit with more to come. This mountain has a lift that in 6 minutes will give you 2112' Vert of Kick butt skiing...not to mention a view unrivaled anywhere! Alta,Utah has maybe 1800" max off of one lift..Catch that Crunchy?...Somebody is loving life right now...& when the snow pack settles Tuckermans will be will be the place to be......I think I could be there by now as much time as I spend on this computer ....East Coast Rules!

Wildcat is an amazing resort... it was only last year that they were able to open in late april after 4+ feet of snow blanketed their summit! Also, it was voted by ski magazine to have the #1 Scenery in North America as well as placing in the top 10 of east coast terrain, challenge, and value! Oh-- and all this for the price of $26 during midweek this week!
comprex
April 9, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

The problem with fresh snow at Tuckerman is that it can't really be skied -- it avalanches rather easily and is very unstable. Normally you have to wait until spring to ski there, after the winter's snow has avalanched and what's left has set up firm.

Anyone remember Thanksgiving Friday 2002? I was at the AMC hut when it happened.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?