Well, that's it for Wintergreen!
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
SkiBumMSP
March 25, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I went ahead and made the 2-hour drive down to Wintergreen this morning, as I was still jonesing to make some turns. Woke up to a blue-bird day, but friggan very warm. It had to of been pushing the bottom-side of 80 degrees today out on the slopes. The slopes themselves really took a beating over the past few days due to the warmth and the bit of rain that moved through the area. Upper Wild-Turkey and Outer Limits was shot, which meant no bumps. So was lower cliff-hanger and devil's elbow. Thus, to ski down the high-land's side, you had to take Upper cliffhanger, than go across down lower Turkey. Logger's Alley gave out today as well, thus it was blocked off. On the central part of the moutain, Diamond Hill was gone. So was Potato Patch, thus you had to walk over to get to the "A-side" of the mountain. The terrain park was barely holding on. On the A-side, Acorn was gone. Alas, they were looking a bit more Green than Winter by the end of today's skiing!

However, what there was left was holding up pretty good, especially upper cliff-hanger and Sunrise. Upper Cliff-hanger was a blast to ski. To be honest, I actually enjoy skiing in this soft snow like this. Lot of fun to carve turns through it, plus it was getting pushed up around, thus creating all these "mini-moguls".

Of course, the most interesting aspect of the day was the pond-skim! I did not try it for the simple fact that I did not want to risk messing up my still fairly new high-end custom fitted boots by getting them wet in the pond, otherwise, I was very tempted. I should've taken my old boots. As warm as it was, it would've actually been pretty nice, perhaps even "purposely" wipe-out for an excuse to take a swim! However, it was pretty funny watching other do it, and there was quite a group that opt to do it. But than again, considering how warm it was, I don't blame them.

Overall, it was a really fun and interesting day at Wintergreen and glad I got to get these last few turns in down there. Alas, with much sorrow and sadness, this marks the end of skiing in Virginia for the season. Unfortunatly, with the warmth (and it is supposed to get pretty darn warm this week - for example - friggan 85 on Tuesday, there would be now way in hell they would be able to last another weekend. They barely made it through this weekend! At least the season ended on a good note!

I am still hoping to be able to come up to T-line for this next weekend. I'll have to keep an eye on what the conditions and weather will be like by then, but I'll have to be prepared to accept that these turns I made today may have very well been my last until December when the next season will hopefully begin.

Hopefully, I'll get to meet up with some of you at T-line this weekend, otherwise, it has been an awesome ride and looking forward to next season! After all, I was still stoked about last weekend! Hard to believe that just a mere week ago, I was skiing in 12 inches of freshies with the temps barely making it in the 20's and windchill in the singles, and now it was friggan 80 degrees! Going from Summer to Winter to Summer again in the span of two weeks! Gotta love mid-Atlantic skiing!
Clay
March 25, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Based on what I saw this weekend, I think T-Line will be able to limp through next weekend (as long as the forecast holds true and they don't get too much rain). It rained quite a bit up there yesterday (Saturday) but all in all things held up well. They started the day today with everything except Silver Streak and Upper Thunderdraft (under the lift) open, but had to shut down Sally pretty early. I didn't ski it, but I understand they had a big break in the trail due to water running under the snow. Other than that, the bases looked good - I didn't see anything that looked suspect but to be honest, I didn't stay out too long - all that slush makes my legs tired .

Hope to see you up there next weekend if everything holds up.

Clay
skier219
March 25, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Thanks for the great report -- glad you were able to make it out there for the last day. I am hoping to go up there some day this week to hike/skin up and ski down a couple times on what's left of the snow. I might try to hit TL or Snowshoe next weekend for one last "lift serviced" day.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 26, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Quote:

Hard to believe that just a mere week ago, I was skiing in 12 inches of freshies with the temps barely making it in the 20's and windchill in the singles, and now it was friggan 80 degrees! Going from Summer to Winter to Summer again in the span of two weeks! Gotta love mid-Atlantic skiing!

Maybe what you experienced in just the span of a week is the mid-Atlantic definition of extreme skiing! I've been out there when it's been 70 a number of times, but being on the slopes while the temps are pushing 80 is astounding. I enjoyed all your reports this winter. Thanks for taking the time to post.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Hey Steve - Last year they only barely had eagles swoop and dobie open, so having both sunrise and turkey-cliff was a real bonus for you. I'm disappointed not to get a first-person pond report though. Thanks also for the reports and sorry I did not run into you again this year, but at least I did make it to ole massanutten once this year.

Alas, this wkend also marked the start of full schedule youth soccer leagues and we have three camping trips in the next two months so perhaps its for the best that the slopes are shutting down so I will have less opportunity for spousal distress.

Time to recharge for next year!
SkiBumMSP
March 26, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Hey Steve - Last year they only barely had eagles swoop and dobie open, so having both sunrise and turkey-cliff was a real bonus for you. I'm disappointed not to get a first-person pond report though. Thanks also for the reports and sorry I did not run into you again this year, but at least I did make it to ole massanutten once this year.

The base on Upper Cliff-hanger was holding up really well. However, Lower Turkey was getting pretty beat, though and barely made it through the day. Unless for some creative grooming, there was no way it would've made it past the next day or so.

Yeah, bummer now first-hand pond-skim experience, though. Maybe next year, I'll remember to take my old boots. I was tempted to try it (I thought about trying to get a pair of rental boots). However, they were blasting that gawd-aweful hip-hop/rap crap that I could not stand, though. I so wanted to hook up my iPod to that sound-system and just friggan pound the hell out that heavy-metal that I had on there! I can see me skiing with some Sonata Arctica or Manticora just a ripping out! \m/

Quote:

Alas, this wkend also marked the start of full schedule youth soccer leagues and we have three camping trips in the next two months so perhaps its for the best that the slopes are shutting down so I will have less opportunity for spousal distress.

Time to recharge for next year!

Well, I am single with no kids, so it makes it easy to just go off and ski on a any given weekend, provided the conditions and weather is decent. In fact, the only thing really holding me back from even getting more skiing in is the nature and location of my work. It is nearly impossible for me to get off and get a weekday or evening ski trip in. Wish I could quit my job and become a "real" skibum!

To bad we did not get a chance to make any runs together. Oh well, maybe next season.

However, I am still game for T-line this weekend, so..... There is that one last chance!
skier219
March 27, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Well, I am single with no kids, so it makes it easy to just go off and ski on a any given weekend, provided the conditions and weather is decent. In fact, the only thing really holding me back from even getting more skiing in is the nature and location of my work. It is nearly impossible for me to get off and get a weekday or evening ski trip in. Wish I could quit my job and become a "real" skibum!

That pesky thing called a "job" is all that's between me and being a ski bum. I did burn about 15 days of leave to ski this season, and thankfully my boss is OK with that. The real boss -- my wife -- is fairly lenient too, though I know when I am pushing my luck! Still, if there were decent jobs for mech. engineers / rocket scientists in the ski industry, I would be interested in a change. I am sure it's a pipe dream to find a real job in the ski industry that also lets me ski 70+ days a year.... That seems too good to be true. If there are such jobs, they are a well kept secret!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?