TL 3/17-18. DCSki get together (pic heavy post)
12 posts
11 users
6k+ views
Clay
March 18, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
A group of DCSkiers were able to meet up on Saturday and enjoyed a great day of skiing together. Me, The Colonel,
KWilig6, Jimmy, Mrs. Jimmy, Jimmy's friend Charlie, Denis and SkiBumMSP all managed to hook up for some sweet
skiing at Timberline. We're sorry we missed you Crunchy

We got about 6-8" Friday night and it kept going all day Saturday turning it into a powdery St. Patrick's day!

I don't have the "official" group photo (I think The Colonel has it) but here are Jimmy, SkiBumMSP, The Colonel
and KWilig6 waiting to form up at the bottom of Pearly Glades

The Luau was great and we were all proud of SkiBumMSP who represented DCSki so masterfully in the torchlight
parade. I couldn't get any good pics of the parade, but here are a few of the accompaning fireworks.

Today (Sunday) started as a bluebird day and while it clouded up later in the day (more flurries ) it did make
for some beautiful morning skiing.

I really enjoyed seeing some DCSki friends and making some new ones. I hope we can do it again,

Clay
SkiBumMSP
March 18, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

A group of DCSkiers were able to meet up on Saturday and enjoyed a great day of skiing together. Me, The Colonel,
KWilig6, Jimmy, Mrs. Jimmy, Jimmy's friend Charlie, Denis and SkiBumMSP all managed to hook up for some sweet
skiing at Timberline. We're sorry we missed you Crunchy

I am glad you remembered everybody's name! I managed to snag a copy of the group shot from The Colonel:

From left to right:

The Colonel, Me (SkiBumMSP), Mrs Jimmy, Jimmy, Clay, Denis, and KWillG6

But yeah, that was an awesome time we had this weekend, and this will definitely be a memory that I will cherish for a long time. The torch-light parade was definitely a cool experience! Not only that, but as far as I can recall, that was the first time I've ever experienced a fireworks display in the middle of a friggan snowstorm in my life, let alone skiing during one!
tgd
March 19, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Fellow DCSkiers! Sorry to miss the get together - I saw everyone gathering at the lift Saturday AM, but had hands full getting family geared up, loaded, and moving before the wind and cold shortened my daughter's desire to ski Saturday.

Now that I've seen the pictures, I know I met SkiBumMsp on Sunday at the top of Pearly Glades. I was getting ready to ski in with my daughter when you came down, said something like "looks pretty fun", then dropped in.

Kim: I know who you are now! I will make sure to introduce myself next time I see you on the mountain.

Jimmy: sorry to miss you again on Sunday. We had a change of plans halfway up the silver queen when I managed to drop a bag of M&Ms onto SS. My daughter insisted on skiing down to get them, so we didn't make it over to Pearly Glades until after NASTAR closed.

Speaking of NASTAR - both my wife and daughter won Silver medals Sunday and I took home my first bronze. It was a big challenge - I probably dropped $20 over the past couple weekends getting that pin!

But the unquestioned highlight of the weekend, including all the pow, tree skiing and ski racing HAD TO BE meeting MR AND THE FUTURE MRS FISHNSKI in Timbers Saturday with an encore in the lodge Sunday! It was great to finally meet the grand Shaman of the West Virginia Alpps. Hope you had a safe drive home Andy. However, if my wife meets too many more of my internet buddies she might cut back on my computer time!

Holding out hope for a last weekend cold blast!

Tom
Rickh
March 19, 2007
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Great Pic's. Does anyone have photo's of the Lava flow? It was great to see, I didn't have my camera with me.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Way to go folks. Nice pics and group shot.

I'm tempted to bring my son out there for 3/24&25 although I hear it's going to be 60+ degrees??
SkiBumMSP
March 19, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Now that I've seen the pictures, I know I met SkiBumMsp on Sunday at the top of Pearly Glades. I was getting ready to ski in with my daughter when you came down, said something like "looks pretty fun", then dropped in.

Ohhh, okay! I remembered that now! I remember seeing you guys ski down through that small stand of woods just above Pearly Glades just as I was going in myself. I remember coming out and catching a little air off that little ledge onto Winter Set Spur, stopped to take a quick breath and to assess a line. That was when you heard me mutter somewhat sarcastically, "That was pretty fun!". Had I realized, I would've said hi! Cool that I at least got to see someone else from here out there skiing with their children.

Quote:

Speaking of NASTAR - both my wife and daughter won Silver medals Sunday and I took home my first bronze. It was a big challenge - I probably dropped $20 over the past couple weekends getting that pin!

Yeah, I've managed to bag a bronze myself on Saturday. I was debating to try on Sunday, but I did breakdown and gave it a shot later in the afternoon. Another bronze! I think that handicap in my age group kills it for me, plus I have no formal race training. Next season, I'll have to drop into the ski school and see if they have a race clinic that I can attend. Also, I could never figure that damn NASTAR and it's handicapping system out. Go figure that at Montage, over President's day weekend, when I tried NASTAR, I did not even medal, but that little performance managed to qualify me for the National Championships! I was so friggan tempted to go, just to at least experience it. Unfortunately, time just will not allow me to do it.

EDIT! Just pulled up my results on the NASTAR.com website! Friggan took THIRD place at T-line in my age group! Even more interesting friggan took THIRD in the entire STATE of Virginia in my age group! Granted, there are only 6 people represented, but still pretty kick-ass, though! I guess that explains how I managed to qualify for the National Championship!

Quote:

But the unquestioned highlight of the weekend, including all the pow, tree skiing and ski racing HAD TO BE meeting MR AND THE FUTURE MRS FISHNSKI in Timbers Saturday with an encore in the lodge Sunday! It was great to finally meet the grand Shaman of the West Virginia Alpps. Hope you had a safe drive home Andy. However, if my wife meets too many more of my internet buddies she might cut back on my computer time!

Holding out hope for a last weekend cold blast!

Tom

Awww maan, I would've liked to met fishnski myself! Than again, for all I know, I probably already did and not realized it (kinda like how I "met" you! )

Yup, holding out hope myself as I'd like to at least get another weekend or two of skiing in before I pack it up for the season. I am already pretty certain that I am going to come up to Timberline for the 31-1st weekend. Still have not decided what I want to do yet for this weekend. I'll have to see what conditions are like and what is still open that is feasible for me to go to. May just end up being either Wintergreen or Liberty. If not, I'll take up the $35/night lodging and hit CV and T-line. See that BK is still going to open, but that is a bit of a hike for me to get to. If I am going to drive that far, may as just as well go to CV/T-line.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have a number of pictures including some of the Lava Flow.
I'll try to post them tonight or tomorrow.
The Colonel
fishnski
March 19, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Hey Buddro...Now I Know what TGD stands for..The Great Daddy! You Have the Sweetest little girl & a very lovely wife. Deb is my Fiancee for life(14 years now)....She is Mrs Ski in common law States! Anyway you seem like a laid back really cool dude..unlike jimmi(The Snob) who I passed several times without even a nod hello Ski bum..now that I see what you look like I realize that your the Dude that was wolfing down some of that fried Chicken & mashed potatoes during a lunch break.I tried to snatch a piece off your plate but you never let your eyes wonder off your meal long enough Was that the Colonel sitting next to you?Sunday I saw you with the Blond curly haired Dude at the top of the lift & tried pointing out to you the snow that was trying to push off of the Ridge behind the state park but I guess my Curly brunette/1/8 grey hair didn't get your attention just playin!
The Snow had that Colorado Crunch to it & every run Rocked! I brought out my old school 215 Solomans..Long & fast on the groomers Tried a speed run down Whitelightning & when Passing my woman I let out a Rebel yell that scared the bajimis out of her ..Went about 2/3 the way down without turning by the time I passed her before making my power slide!...SKI IN CONTROL.... There is no other place more scenic than the Valley & the surrounding WV ALPPS in its full Glory like it was Sunday Morn after the storm...Maybe as..but not More.....Clay,Kwill & the rest of you all..Keep on gettin on! I'm GONE FISHIN!
skier219
March 20, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Great pictures and reports folks, thanks!
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 20, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
It's great to see DCSki readers connecting with each other on the slopes, and that the site has gained enough momentum over the years to facilitate these impromptu gatherings. I hope to join up in future years! I'm just thankful I got three days of skiing in this season, since my knee was acting up earlier. Still, it feels like the season is ending just as I was getting warmed up.
jimmy
March 20, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
That's Utah snob to you , that's why my season pass is at the Deer Valley of the ALPPS . Next time ur in the valley to ski, just check with any member of my entourage to see if they can arrange some time with me for you . I thought being disguised as a skier might throw you off, but the helmet and dark goggles still did not prevent you from stalking me?? Your superNatural abilities SCARE me andy...... your ability to predict the big one is uncanny, did you notice that my lei matched the stitching on my gloves??
tempfishnski
March 20, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
I'll get your Jimmigraph next time funny guy!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?