Why is good ole Liberty shutting down already?
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
crunchy
March 16, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Was just checkin' their latest snow info, and after it they say the 18th is their final day. i was there early last sat morning and it was 100% with no bare spots. Did this past week hurt em that bad, or is it for lack of attendance/operating cost issues?
chuckie
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Allthough WT was harder hit for base, that's not likely the problem...

On one hand I'm enraged at the early closing, on the other hand, I have been watching the web cams of both LIBERTY and WHITETAIL all week and there have been minimal people on the hill. I was at WHITETAIL on WED, and there were a few people around, but perhaps not enough for them to consider staying open? I'm gonna guess I saw maybe 30 people total on WED, but perhaps it's just a WAG.

I swear this happens every year, they close up shop with plenty o' base.

For my part, this is the best part of the season, catch some rays (not today perhaps), make some runs.
therusty
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Watching the WT web cams this week, what was really shocking was how slushy the snow looked. This weekend's snow will be great top dressing, but it won't do squat to extend the "life" of the snowpack. WT's site has also announced Sunday the 18th will be the last day. Given the 10 day forecast, WT's snow the weekend of the 24th would likely be skiable but brownish at best. It looks like this Sunday will be the best closing day we've ever had. That's not a bad way to go.
SkiBumMSP
March 16, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Awwww DAAAMN!!!

I was really hoping to get to ski Liberty next weekend when I heard all the rumours of them staying open until this next weekend (24-25).

For what it's worth, Massanutten is also closing up this weekend, which I knew about, as that was thier planned closing even before the season begun. They are happy to make this far with the conditions they got. I was hoping to ski it there on the last day on Sunday, but looks like I'll be sticking around here at T-line/Canaan Velley instead. Kinda bummed in a sentimental way as I was there for the first day and would've been nice to be there for the last. Oh well, at least the skiing here at T-line is going to be friggan epic this weekend!
langleyskier
March 18, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
just wanted to make sure everyone knows that RT and lib WILL stay open this week and have no planned closing date! 8+ inches of fresh, bases of 2 ft+, and both are 100% open! Unprecedented late season skiing for both resorts! As long as we keep going they will and can stay open!
SkiBumMSP
March 18, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

just wanted to make sure everyone knows that RT and lib WILL stay open this week and have no planned closing date! 8+ inches of fresh, bases of 2 ft+, and both are 100% open! Unprecedented late season skiing for both resorts! As long as we keep going they will and can stay open!

I hope they are opened through the weekend, otherwise, it may very well be Wintergreen for me to find some turns this next weekend (short of driving all the way up to Canaan and Timberline again). My trusty'ol Massanutten is done for the season. , and I am just not quite ready to hang'em up yet.
Clay
March 18, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Remember SkiBum, you're only allowed to ski with flares on a stick if they ASK you to

Clay
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?