Winter not over yet...even in Virginia!
57 posts
21 users
23k+ views
wgo
March 15, 2007
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,668 posts
It's supposed to get up to 70 degrees at wintergreen today, with a chance of showers! But, check out the forecasted high/lows for the next 4 days:

Fri: 42/18 (chance of snow)
Sat: 40/16
Sun: 41/18
Mon: 47/26
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
The brief cold spell won't make any difference, the season is basically OVER at WG.
Ullr
March 15, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I was just there and conditions are awesome!!!!!!!!!!

100% open, and great coverage. The snow is in excellent shape. WG is rarely open this late with conditions this great. They could easily make till the end of March and into April.

You should go and check it out!!!!!!
skiTLINE
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Quote:

The brief cold spell won't make any difference, the season is basically OVER at WG.

Damn Masher.....you cant WAIT for winter to die can you
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kennedy
March 15, 2007
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Whitetail could definitely use a few inches. What are the chances they'll blow some on top of any natural they get?
KevR
March 15, 2007
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Hey, I'd like a bit more than window dressing on the slopes if they do!

One year I hit whitetail probably in late Feb midweek and it must have previous to my visit been a bit warm, followed by solid cold.

Before really taking any warm up on any slope, I headed over with two friends to Exhibition -- and from the chair the trail looked soft and fluffy...

I remember thinking, "ooh, well, that's does look nice..."

So we get going down the slope, and before we made it past 2 moguls, we realized the entire slope had been covered in about 1/4 inch of fresh snow -- and underneath was pure solid icy 'hard pack'...

Not pure ice, and not just hard packed up snow -- but you know the stuff that is nearly ice but not quite.

Oh man, this was the WORST thing I've ever tried to get down, I mean it was just nearly unskiable.

And I have to add that I am by NO MEANS even a decent mogul skier... so you have to take that into acct.

But one of my friends was actually a pretty good mogul skiers and finally after 20 or 30 thirty hours of being lost in them icy moguls, when we finally hacked our way out and found the bottom...

He just looked at me and shook his head..."never again"...

I mean it was that bad...

Wow.

So, never again shall I look upon fluff late season and think: "Oh that's all fluffy and nice"

Beware the window dressing, that's all I'm saying...
wgo
March 15, 2007
1,668 posts
I'm suprised that lower cliffhanger is still open, but obviously I am glad to hear it. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there in the next few days.
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
No, I hate for Winter to end, but I want to call attention to the CHANGING climate. The ski season of 2006-2007 will go down as another mild Winter with RECORD warm weather during the first half of the ski season and a few days of RECORD (or near record) warm weather at the end of the ski season. It was only the unusual cold spell of Late Jan-thru-Feb that saved the ski season. Unfortunately, in the future we can't count on such an unusual cold spell to save ski seasons. Based on everything that I've read, we're going to see lots of VERY MILD Winters.
wgo
March 15, 2007
1,668 posts
Quote:

No, I hate for Winter to end, but I want to call attention to the CHANGING climate. The ski season of 2006-2007 will go down as another mild Winter with RECORD warm weather during the first half of the ski season and a few days of RECORD (or near record) warm weather at the end of the ski season. It was only the unusual cold spell of Late Jan-thru-Feb that saved the ski season. Unfortunately, in the future we can't count on such an unusual cold spell to save ski seasons. Based on everything that I've read, we're going to see lots of VERY MILD Winters.

thank YOU for your INPUT it was most HELPFUL
KevR
March 15, 2007
786 posts
aye, you may be right....
Ullr
March 15, 2007
532 posts
Quote:

Quote:

thank YOU for your INPUT it was most HELPFUL

Roger Z
March 15, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
MM is A caricarture of THE old joke about the pessimistic kid WHO, when sitting IN a room full of toys started crying. The mom ASKS "why are you crying" AND the child said "because I just KNOW that someday someone IS going to take ALL these toys away from me!"

Here's been A great eight weeks of skiing back east AND all MM can do IS lament that sometime, someday, in some way or another winters might not BE as good as they once were.

It IS, however, kind OF fun to just randomly capitalize every letter IN an occasional word. Especially since IT just aggravates readers WITHOUT really adding any value TO the post. MM might be onto something with that neat little writing trick.
jimmy
March 15, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
roger UNOWUT? the ohio river is EXPECTED to crest AT 36' here in wheeling...WAIT while i run outside to check..........

NOPE not flooded yet BUT wait UNOWUT it doesn't COME over the curb until about FOURTY-TWO feet, but it sure is MUDDY
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
Oh well, time (and more research) will tell.......in terms of how this ski season ends and the outlook for future Winters.
skiTLINE
March 15, 2007
230 posts
Quote:

MM is A caricarture of THE old joke about the pessimistic kid WHO, when sitting IN a room full of toys started crying. The mom ASKS "why are you crying" AND the child said "because I just KNOW that someday someone IS going to take ALL these toys away from me!"

Here's been A great eight weeks of skiing back east AND all MM can do IS lament that sometime, someday, in some way or another winters might not BE as good as they once were.

It IS, however, kind OF fun to just randomly capitalize every letter IN an occasional word. Especially since IT just aggravates readers WITHOUT really adding any value TO the post. MM might be onto something with that neat little writing trick.

THATS hysterical. YOU guys are BAD

HEY, this IS fun
Ullr
March 15, 2007
532 posts
YES, I agree this IS fun! BUT, it is sure HARD to type this WAY!

HAhaHAhaHAhaHAha
KevR
March 15, 2007
786 posts
Which is better? Delusion or realism?
David
March 15, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Speaking of Winter not being over yet...Check this out:

Tonight: Periods of rain showers, mainly between 7pm and 10pm, then periods of snow showers between 10pm and 4am, then periods of rain possibly mixed with freezing rain after 4am. Low around 28. North wind between 5 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Friday: Periods of snow. High near 31. North wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday Night: Periods of snow showers, mainly before 10pm. Low around 21. North wind between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday: A chance of snow showers, mainly between 1pm and 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Northwest wind between 9 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow showers before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 13. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Looks like WINTER to me!!!
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
Yes, but it's going to get WARM with possible rain after the weekend is over. So, the brief cold spell isn't really going to help WG that much.
snowglobe
March 15, 2007
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts
The weather is really weird this year..

The current forecast from NWS call for 5"-9" of snow during the day and 1"-3" of snow at night tomorrow at Whitetail!!
skiTLINE
March 15, 2007
230 posts
Quote:

The current forecast from NWS call for 5"-9" of snow during the day and 1"-3" of snow at night tomorrow at Whitetail!!

Stop lying snowglobe. IT is NOT going to SNOW nearly a FOOT at whiteTAIL tomorrow
crunchy
March 15, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Stop lying snowglobe. IT is NOT going to SNOW nearly a FOOT at whiteTAIL tomorrow

however, knowing the weather in the highlands, Tline could get 10" when they predict 3 tho
Ullr
March 15, 2007
532 posts
TiLiNe, YoU ReAlLy ArE TaKiNg ThIs To ThE ExTrEmE!!!!
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
I agree, the weather has been strange to say the least. While the predicted snow-storm is most welcome, it's too bad that the weather is going to warm back up (with a chance of rain) by early next week. Perhaps the weather will stay relatively cold next week at some of the higher elevation ski areas.
skiTLINE
March 15, 2007
230 posts
Quote:

TiLiNe, YoU ReAlLy ArE TaKiNg ThIs To ThE ExTrEmE!!!!

....ok. i am sorry. i will no longer express my emotions in font nor capitalization
snowglobe
March 15, 2007
150 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Hey, I am not lying.. See for yourself

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Mercersburg&state=PA&site=CTP

"Heavy Snow" both day and night tomorrow!
snowglobe
March 15, 2007
150 posts
Well, I agree with the original poster -- winter is not over yet, at least this weekend, seem like it will be another great weekend on the slope.

More NWS lastest snow accumulation forecast for Friday (day & night):

Whitetail (Mercersburg, PA) : 6"-12"
Liberty ( Fairfield, PA ) : 4"-6"
Roundtop ( Lewisberry, PA ) : 4"-8"
Wisp ( Mchenry, MD ) : 3"-7"
TLine & Canaan ( Davis, WV ) : 3"-7"
7Springs (Champion,PA) : 3"-6"
Blueknob ( Claysburg, PA ) : 5"-11"
Snowshoe ( Snowshoe, WV ) : 2"-3"

The question is... why did I book lodging at Snowshoe!!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I was just looking at my Accuweather Main Man's website and he is predicting considerable snow, with the "local" bullseye being 18" at Camelback in PA.
He thinks the major east coast cities will get considerably less, say 1+ inch in Washington, and higher amounts up I95.
But if the track of the storm shifts 50 miles or so, Katy Bar The Door.
Hope it all pans out. I'll be making my runs with a number of DCSkiers at the Snowy Luau at Timberline.
GO FOR IT! By the way, Joe sees a cold and snowy period for late March and early April.
The Colonel
David
March 15, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Quote:

Yes, but it's going to get WARM with possible rain after the weekend is over. So, the brief cold spell isn't really going to help WG that much.

Sorry....forgot to specify that this weather was for Davis, WV....
Clay
March 15, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
hehehe. Glad to see I'm not the only one who pays for Accuweather's "main man". He's great. He's not always right be he is very, very good at explaining why he thinks what he predicts is going to happen. And he doesn't just rely on the models - he THINKS about it.

Clay
crunchy
March 15, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

I was just looking at my Accuweather Main Man's website and he is predicting considerable snow, with the "local" bullseye being 18" at Camelback in PA.

aww man, now I gotta re-think my previous tline plans! camelback is only like an hour more away than tline is for me
skier219
March 15, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Here's Henry's snow prediction (also from Accuweather):

He did a pretty good job on the snowfall amounts from the clipper last week. Whoever is skiing in the path of this baby is going to have some nice skiing this weekend!! I do hope that 3-6" fringe extends a little farther southwest to Snowshoe....

By the way MM, I know it will just GET warm next week and MELT, so no need to remind us.

Long term, it looks like we will be alternating between warm and cold shots from now until early April. There will be at least one more good shot of winter before Snowshoe closes on April 8, and let's hope it aligns with some moisture! When I look at analogues with past seasons, wild up/down swings in March/April almost always are accompanied by some pretty good snow dumps (I have been the benefactor of three or four 8"+ dumps at Snowshoe in late March and early April). Last week's clipper is one example, and this weekend's snowfall is another. I am fairly certain we will see at least one more before winter calls it quits.
crunchy
March 15, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

I do hope that 3-6" fringe extends a little farther southwest to Snowshoe....

hey, maybe Snowshoe experiences the "upslope effect" i re-read that article for extra stoking
Mountain Masher
March 15, 2007
541 posts
Wow! That's an impressive map! Of course, snowfall amounts are extremely difficult to predict, especially this time of year. In many areas the high temps will likely be right on the edge between ice and snow, also the track of the storm will be critical.
Murphy
March 15, 2007
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
It's already below freezing at the Pointy Knob Station. Can't wait to see tomorrow morning's snow report.
skiTLINE
March 16, 2007
230 posts
Positive thinking fellow skiers. POSITIVE thinking
kwillg6
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,070 posts
Due to the valley's elevation, I expect their storm snow total to equal that of the poconos. The shoe may scrape an additional few inches out over forcast amounts as well but they may be too far south for major accumulations, but hope I'm wrong. Nomatter what, it's gonna be a GrEaTpArTyWeEkEnD!!!!
KevR
March 16, 2007
786 posts
What might be MORE useful is a graph that shows the % water content expected in that thar snow...

Go for the driest/deepest snow... that would be ideal.
Roger Z
March 16, 2007
2,181 posts
Where's the Valley folks this morning? What's the story coming out of CV?

I found a backcountry downhill run just north of town last weekend. All I need now is a foot of snow (which might take years around here). It's about 150 feet of vertical and maybe 40 feet wide, takes a mile to hike back to it. Pathetically small, yes, but it's entirely possible that my first "backcountry" ski experience will be on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River on the MO/KS border. Unless, that is, my buddies and I can wrangle up a decent map or a good guide for Wolf Creek next weekend (and the snow out there hasn't settled into a solid icepack).

Hey, ya gotta start somewhere, right?
jonjon1
March 16, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Ice storm overnight here -- had about a quarter inch of ice on my car and on tree limbs, etc. -- but the roads are fine. Changed to sleet a while ago -- should be all snow shortly.
crunchy
March 16, 2007
596 posts
Quote:

Ice storm overnight here -- had about a quarter inch of ice on my car and on tree limbs, etc. -- but the roads are fine. Changed to sleet a while ago -- should be all snow shortly.

thanks jonjon! any chance you can keep us updated throughout the day? altho I can kinda tell by the tline cam thats on the picnic tables outside the lodge, but right now the lens is covered in ice
Clay
March 16, 2007
555 posts
The 3-6 inch band looks like it now extends to the Shoe - let's keep our finger's crossed... and look at that little 6-12 inch band over T-Line

Everybody drive safely.
Clay
kwillg6
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,070 posts
As I said, it should be an Epic weekend (once again!) Has anyone noticed the correlation of the number of DC Ski viewers, to the close proximity of the weekend and a major pow dump? Just check the "who's online." Epic, I say!
Reisen
March 16, 2007
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
Quote:

But one of my friends was actually a pretty good mogul skiers and finally after 20 or 30 thirty hours of being lost in them icy moguls, when we finally hacked our way out and found the bottom...

Wow. I once was lost in any icy mogul field for 20 or 30 minutes, but 30 hours! That means you started at the top of exhibition, and they closed the resort, blew snow, groomed the other trails, reopened, and you were still only halfway down! I hope you at least had energy bars and handwarmers!
jonjon1
March 16, 2007
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Sleet/snow mix here in Oakland, Maryland -- probably a half inch of accumulation. Spoke with a realtor in Canaan about a half hour ago and he said the sleet was transitioning over to snow.
Ullr
March 16, 2007
532 posts
Cold, cold, cold here in Richmond. THIS is unusual For us This time OF year!
bktim
March 16, 2007
Member since 06/14/2006 🔗
32 posts
The winter is not over at Blue Knob in PA. We already received 4-5 inches of snow today. They are calling for up to a foot of snow before it's all over . The conditions should be great this weekend. We will also be on mid-week rates all weekend.
Think Snow,
BK Tim
tempfishnski
March 16, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
Yes it is Snowing in Virginia...But this relatively young man is heading west...Thats WEST(By God i'll be there) virginia...I Can't take the pressure...Told my Woman that it would take a half foot to get me to take a few days off of work & to hump that 8 hour Dr up there... We Might get a foot!...So tomorrow at 4am I'm Gone Fishin..For Snow & Fun!!+ I just Wouldn't be able to enjoy my spring fishing without properly saying Goodbye to Ole Man Winter Who has worked so hard to Overcome this GW thang for us ...I'll be at TL Pub Sat Aft Dancin with the hula girls
crunchy
March 16, 2007
596 posts
cool, so how much floor space you got for us at your pad on 32? Altho if that ice line doesnt move the hell out of WV soon, I might be headin north instead of west.....
tempfishnski
March 16, 2007
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
66 posts
The Main part of this storm is latitude affected as can be seen by Blue Knobs snow whereas WV has seen Freezing Rain/Sleet. Snowshoe being further south is lagging behind Canaan.(the 2nd half will be all snow for everyone) Tonite & Tomorrow, Elevation will be the Factor with the Upslope...See You all in Winter Wonderland,Elevation Friendly WV tomorrow!
skiTLINE
March 16, 2007
230 posts
Just wanted to tell everyone to be careful wherever you are driving to ski. Especially today. Roads will most likely be nasty later on in the moutains.

Just drive safe

OTHer thAN THat HaVe a GREAT weEKeNd
Roger Z
March 16, 2007
2,181 posts
Enjoy the freshies everyone!
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
781 posts
Looks like at least 3 inches by 3:30pm here in Winchester, VA. Not bad!

Woody
skier219
March 17, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
On the drive to Snowshoe Friday night, the VA mountains west of Staunton were getting pounded. They had significantly more snow on the ground than Snowshoe did at the time.
Ullr
March 18, 2007
532 posts
Do you go through Monterey?

i.e. get off 81 to 262, 250, 220, 84, 92, 66?

If not try it I am making it TOW from the Oilville exit in exactly 3.25 hours (clear roads of course).
Clay
March 18, 2007
555 posts
Oilville! I love that place. I work on a big campus just a few miles from there (I'm sure you know for who )

Clay
skier219
March 19, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
We go through Monterey, but stay on 250 all the way to Bartow.

I do 64W - 81N - 262/275W Bypass - 250W - 28/92 - 66 through Cass to SS. I like that route the best, though it seems to have a few extra mountain crossings on 250 past Monterey. I believe it is the shortest distance, but time-wise is about the same as the other routes.

I have done the 250 - 220 - 84 - 92 - 66 route before (goes through Hot Springs) and that is also good.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.