whitetail on sunday
11 posts
6 users
2k+ views
langleyskier
March 11, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I was wondering if anyone hit up whitetail on sunday and could advise me on the conditions. I was up there on saturday before the rain and the base was already really wet, slushy, and thin in spots. I am thinking of going there tomorrow night so any input would help.
Joshkimjer
March 12, 2007
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
5 posts
Skied Whitetail yesterday from 10:30 until 2:30. Started out pretty decent, but with the sun pounding on the slopes it did not take long to turn pretty slushy. I spoke with the ski patrol on the way up the lift regarding the conditions. He said it was pretty hard in the early morning and softened up around 9:30 and was real nice for about an hour. It appears they have lost a lot of snow the past few days. Enjoy if you make it up there tonight, just be ready for some real heavy snow. Hope that helps.
langleyskier
March 12, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I actually decided not to go up tonight because of the outrageous lift prices. I had first thought that the snow blast card this week would be buy one get one free (thats what i had thought i had read on the site last night) but instead it is something stupid about a drawing. I do not feel that it makes sense for me to make the hr and a half drive up there and pay $40+ to ski in the crappy conditions they are currently offering. Dont get me wrong, i love whitetail and am happy they are still open with the conditions they have but the prices are ridiculous for this late in the season and the fact that they face south so are extra slushy. It seems to me that if they offered a lift ticket for $15 or $20 this time of year midweek that they would attract many more customers. I would have to guess that they will have very few paying customers mid week this week and that most of the people skiing there will be season passers. I dont see how it would not make sense financially for them to offer a highly discounted lift ticket (or even just a discounted lift ticket for college kids and students on their spring breaks) this late in the year midweek.

OK there is my rant about whitetail. Oh ya and by the way for everyone who has a snowblast card, they are ending the program this year and the cards will no longer be valid next year according to a RT representative i talked too.
crunchy
March 12, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
hate to say this, but your only hope for a decent day at liberty, whitetail, roundtop, etc, unless we get a significant cool-down, is to go EARLY as possible in the morning after some colder night temps. And maybe get some warmer temp wax for your skis.
therusty
March 12, 2007
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Langely,

It's a shame you did not hear about the Spring Value Pass. $79 for all you can ski through the end of the year. Rumor has it that Roundtop is hoping to stay open through 4/1. Thus, it's very doable that you could work this out to your desired $15/20 per ticket.
langleyskier
March 12, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I actually did hear of this pass, however i am a student at penn state and will only be home for a week so it does not make sense for me to buy a pass for such a short period of time. I totally agree about the good conditions early morning, its just that i was going to go with my dad who cannot go until around 4. I really do love whitetail and the snowtime resorts and had a lot of fun up there last saturday and am extremely pleased that they are making such an effort to stay open and keep good conditions. Its just that us poor college kids so late in the season (after we have shelled out tons of money skiing this year) cannot afford the $50+ lift tickets on the weekend and $40+ midweek for just a few hrs of skiing (in reality i am willing to shell out the $$ but my friends are not). I just think it would be a good business move to offer discounted lift tickets for late season/midweek to try and attract more customers. I am sure that if i left here around 7 am and skied from 8:30 until 12, with a high-speed lift to myself that i would be phenomenal; however, the price of $39 for a midweek 4 hr ticket is just too much.
RodSmith
March 12, 2007
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Quote:

hate to say this, but your only hope for a decent day at liberty, whitetail, roundtop, etc, unless we get a significant cool-down, is to go EARLY as possible in the morning after some colder night temps. And maybe get some warmer temp wax for your skis.

Actually Whitetail was good to excellent Saturday and Sunday. Everyone at the 4th Annual Tele Days Festival was raving about the "hero snow". The snow was a little less sticky Sunday but didn't freeze up saturday night, so it hadn't really corned up yet. The reason it is sticky is because it is fresh, made last week. So the fact that they are making snow this late in the season is encouraging for those hoping the season will be extended a little.
crunchy
March 12, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Quote:

Actually Whitetail was good to excellent Saturday and Sunday. Everyone at the 4th Annual Tele Days Festival was raving about the "hero snow".

"hero snow"?! are you a whitetail employee? :P Well... I guess thats a very subjective term. Anything short of pow or chopped pow doesnt get the "hero" stamp in my book tho
langleyskier
March 12, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Well after a boring day today sitting around wishing i was skiing i think i am going to wake up in the wee hrs tomorrow and make it to WT by opening then ski until noon by myself. I figure if i do that then i will be back home by 1:30 which is only an hr after i woke up today , yay for spring break laziness. Also, this way i will be there by myself on freshly groomed slush which should not be too bad.
RodSmith
March 13, 2007
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Quote:

"hero snow"?! are you a whitetail employee? :P Well... I guess thats a very subjective term. Anything short of pow or chopped pow doesnt get the "hero" stamp in my book tho

Spring snow makes a good skier feel like a hero because it is so easy to ski. Powder and crud require more skill. Yes, I prefer powder, but wet granular is very much fun. If fun skiing appeals to you. I know a lot of people prefer ice.

No, I don't work there.
skier219
March 13, 2007
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Actually, "hero snow" (aka "ego snow") is a fairly accepted slang term to describe soft/wet snow before it gets too slushy. It allows even beginners and intermediates to feel their edges and carve big turns, hence they turn into heroes. And if they are gapers, this may lead them to ski right out of their boots!

Here are some of the snow types:

http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:About_Snow&printable=yes

There are a few skier-slang dictionaries online that are quite a bit more humorous -- worth reading if you have time:

http://mogulmick.vbmco.com/slang.html

(that's one of the clean/semi-polite ones)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?