4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
Roger Z
March 2, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hey All-

Quick note on February weather. Since the beginning of September, I've been tracking temps in four locations: where I live now (near Lenexa, KS), Blacksburg, Tracy's Landing MD (where my parents live) and BWI Airport (near where I used to live), just to see which place is the coolest or warmest.

So far, the general relation between the four locations have tracked close to the averages- warmer here than the east coast until about December, then colder here, then warmer again starting soon. Actual temps were Fall was generally below average, early winter (as if you didn't know this) above average, then it turned sharply colder again in all locations.

What's interesting is I just ran the February numbers for all four locations using weather.com, and February was a really good month at each spot. Temps ranged from 4 degrees below normal in Blacksburg to almost 7 degrees below normal at BWI. Except here, all of the locations were below the JANUARY average temperatures (and we were just barely above Jan avg temps here), and none of the three locations I'm tracking back east broke 60- didn't even get close. Interestingly, every night at BWI was at or below freezing in the month of Feb.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I was keeping track of temps up in the mountains, but I guess that's what Andy is for with all of his hidden weather instruments on MPC...
fishnski
March 3, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Whats up with Deer Valley?..Yeh, the snow run up at Canaan was incredible...I think during a 6 week period there were only 3 days that it didn't snow!...Down here in the carolinas the coldest nite got down to about 24 & that was during that 1st artic blast in dec that everyone got excited about. I have 5 different type of Palms in my yard of which 2 are very tender. Those 2 I have to cover whenever it gets down below the upper 20's.....used to have about 7 types...Global warming killed them
Roger Z
March 5, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Here's some other weather news... March weather news actually. According to weather.com, the all-time record low for March in Fairbanks, Alaska was -41F. I say *was*, because if the record keeping is accurate, the temp dropped to -42F on March 1st (four days ago), which would set a new record for March.

It's brutally cold up there right now, up to 25 degrees below normal. I know they had some warmer weather earlier this winter so I'm not sure how things are playing out overall (looks like it was pretty warm in early Feb, for instance), but they're having record-setting cold at the moment.
fishnski
March 5, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
That Cold Air up there will hopefully make it down to the Mid ATL High country to finish off march with a Winter Blast! Another Half foot for the area Wed Maybe? This next Snow might get the Valley back up to its Ave for the year...unreal turnaround. If they get a 10 or 15 inch late season blast it would put Canaans 5 year Ave up into the high 180's to low 190's...I'll have to get the calculator out.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?