Winter in the Mid-Atlantic
2 posts
2 users
1k+ views
Murphy
December 3, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Based on the maturity level of the average poster on this board, I'm guessing most people here have already read the Sunday Comics but for those of you who haven't, you might get a kick out of this:

Roger Z
December 3, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hey... I resemble that remark. Darn you, Murph!

I've been tracking temp data at my new location (Lenexa, KS roughly) and my old location (Blacksburg, VA) since the fall started. Both locations came in 3.2 degrees above normal in November. Lenexa was 3 and 2 degrees below normal in September and October, respectively. The MD side of the DC area was also below normal for Sep and Oct.

The downside about November (as if being 3 degrees above normal isn't down enough) is that Blacksburg has been consistently above normal for overnight lows since the end of summer, and this consistent above normal overnight low was getting worse each month. It was 4 degrees above normal at night in November. This may either be because a heat island is developing in B-burg (which is entirely possible. I can remember numerous times driving back from downtown B-burg to my apartment on the other side of 460 and feeling a noticeable cool-down in temps as I crossed 460), or because at least that portion of the southern Apps is not cooling down at night as much as it's supposed to. I'd need to find a more remote weather station that the Weather Channel follows to get a better feel for that question.

So I don't know how much of that three month observation is indicative of weather patterns in the rest of the mountains. Maybe Brad could comment about Wardensville, but we're still off the map as far as the ski resorts in WV are concerned...

...the good news is that the first half of Dec is shaping up nicely! It's been 5-10 degrees below our January averages for four days now out here!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.