What were your experiences skiing this weekend?
17 posts
13 users
3k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have posted about my trip to Whitetail yesterday.
So who skied where and how was it?
Maybe many DCSkiers are still trying to get home?
Inquiring minds want to know!
The Colonel
Roger Z
February 25, 2007
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
My parents reported that CV on Saturday was FANTASTIC, and they are hoping to go back later in March. Said the conditions were comparable to Deer Valley.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
780 posts
I skied Roundtop with my son and his friend Saturday -- first time for all three of us. Gorgeous day: sunny, no wind and very good conditions for the most part. Some icy sections showed up in the afternoon.

I hadn't skied for even an hour before my son called me on the cell phone: "Dad, have you seen Gunbarrel yet?" Glad to know that there's a run somewhere that intimidates even a fearless 14-year-old.

All of us enjoyed Roundtop's layout, which gives each trail a distinct character: Minuteman's open slope, Lafayette's graceful zigzags, narrow Barrett's Trail, and the kamikaze plunges of Gunbarrel and Ramrod. A welcome break from the generic McTrails that have become so popular.

My only regret was that Roundtop has quit selling ski patches and carries only find-em-anywhere designs for pins.

Hope everyone found some good runs this weekend.

Woody
SkiBumMSP
February 25, 2007
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I juuuuust got back from Massanutten (the skis still has some snow clinging to them as I type this). The roads coming back were pretty much wet, although there was a nasty accident up through the Swift Run pass along 33. Fortunatly, I was able to get by, but the west-bound side was all tied up. Basically, I had no problems getting home. Thankfuly the really nasty icing up that was predicted did not happen, at least on the lower elevations.

The conditions on Saturday were friggan awesome! They maintained really good even into the night (not nearly as icy as it can get). Even Upper Dixie was skiing really sweet, with some nice moguls on there. There is also a really good base on the hill, so I anticipate skiing there well into March, short of any really big warmups (i.e., it shoots up into the 80's and stays)

This morning, I woke up to something like 6 inches of snow on the mountain. Catching those first few runs at opening were friggan sweet, although the snow was somewhat on the heavy side. As the day wore on and the snow changed to sleet and then to rain, the snow on the hill was getting used up like a 4-dollar hooker. Still made for some really good skiing, but it did work you, though. The rain, though was making for a miserable time out, however, so I was actually kinda of glad to get off the hill and get back home.

Overall, a really good weekend of skiing, with a very nice surprise in that fresh powder this morning (figured it was just going to be icy and rain all day)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
wgo
February 25, 2007
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts
Good to hear the moguls on dixie have shaped up. Thinking about heading out for a 1/2 day on monday to either wintergreen on massanutten. Anyone know if wintergreen has let anything bump up?
David
February 25, 2007
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I was at CV on Saturday also. The conditions were GREAT almost the entire day. We made several nice powder runs early in the day and some pow even stuck around until we left at 6:00 pm. The afternoon did bring about some ice (which is typical on the Canaan Curve area), but not really that much. I am going to post some pics here in a just a a few minutes.
queenoftheslopes
February 25, 2007
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
I was at 7 springs on Saturday and thought the conditions were great. There were some icy sheets, like under the Giant Steps lift, most of that was a sheet of ice, but there were quite a few areas with soft un-groomed snow.

Maybe it was because I was on my brand-spanking-new Head iM88 skis- but I had a blast, and conditions were great.
Norsk
February 25, 2007
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Tline on Saturday. Great conditions, whole mountain open, genuine packed powder with even a little bit o' powder remaining in the (official) glades. My only complaint is a perennial one: not a single bump run at Tline (other than the one remaining liftline). OTW was groomed flat and The Drop still is suffering from whale infestation.
tromano
February 25, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I was at 7S on Saturday too, obviously.

Conditions were good in the afternoon. Morning was so so. I could tell it had rained alot earlier last week.

I actually skied laurel Mt on Sunday morning. It was about the worst contritions I have ever seen ever. Actually I have seen worse only one time before. I preferred climbing to going down. I wasn't expecting much and just did it because I wanted to finally get out on my skins.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
780 posts
Quote:

Conditions were good in the afternoon. Morning was so so. I could tell it had rained alot earlier last week.

I actually skied laurel Mt on Sunday morning. It was about the worst contritions I have ever seen ever. Actually I have seen worse only one time before. I preferred climbing to going down. I wasn't expecting much and just did it because I wanted to finally get out on my skins.

Tromano, I am often contrite when I ski where conditions are lousy.

:^)
Woody
Ullr
February 26, 2007
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Ski Bum,

Sorry I missed you. I was there Sat too with my family. Yes, the conditions were great. My children are still too young to hit the black's so we spent all day getting off at mid station on the blues. What was really nice was that it was very sunny and warm, but the snow stayed nice a firm all day. I was at Wintergreen on Friday and it was no where near as warm, but the snow turned to mashed potatos by 2pm. Overall a great day!
Jim
February 26, 2007
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Wisp was friggin' awesome on Saturday! Nice conditions, albeit a bit thin in the troughs of the mogul runs (under the chair at Main Street and Devil's Drop). Sunny to boot. Only real problem was horrendous crowds (quit at 3pm because of it). Sunday was a wash because of the rain and the desire to get home to the DC area.
rmcva
February 26, 2007
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
For the last seven days, I started with Snowshoe and skied two days (the holiday weekend with over a foot of snow). The conditions Saturday & Monday were very good. On Monday a couple runs at SC were ungroomed powder and that was with the 8" Sunday/Sunday-night snow - excellent. Also hard to believe SC had no crowds on the holiday weekend. I didn't even try the basin, I knew it would be over crowded (verified by others on the lifts).

Last Wednesday I was at Whitetail. Conditions in the early morning were very good, no crowds. However, by noon everything was really turning to crud, wet and all pushed up. It was hard to believe how much it got pushed with so few people. However the blue skies made it very nice.

Last Saturday I went to Wisp. First time since they opened the new trails. It was VERY crowded but no extreme wait on lifts. Everyone there was saying how good the conditions were but it was a thin powder cover with hardpack/ice. Their advanced trails were not as much fun as I was hoping for - due to the ice. For the new area, the black trail was short and tons of fun. However the other trails were very flat and resulted in more pole use than normal. Overall, I was impressed with all the new work done at Wisp. New trails, lifts, etc and very well thought out onslope houses. I just wish some of the other resorts would invest more in lifts and trails. Kudo's to the lifties, they did an excellent job!!!

Also keep in mind, any day on the slopes is better than not being there
jimmy
February 27, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Tromano, I am often contrite when I ski where conditions are lousy.

:^)
Woody

Woody perhaps tromano's act of contritions was due to the fact that the area was closed ?

Tline was fine, Saturday. One thing i've noticed about the trail formerly known as silverstreak, over the lastr couple o weeks, up top where they left the trees, anybody notice the deep pow that was there after the ice storm? knee deep on me in places...anybody notice howit was blown off boiler plate below the trees? Not much traffic on it this past weekend.

Sat out the *wintery mix event Sunday morning to ski some soft loose fast snow on Sunday PM. Wind was INCREDIBLE Sunday, so strong it felt like it was stalling the lift.
tromano
February 27, 2007
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Woody perhaps tromano's act of contritions was due to the fact that the area was closed ?

Pretty much. Skiing over frozen snow mobile tracks in a howling rain storm at 31F is sort of a let down. The up hill was fun though. I might like this touring thing.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Jimmy,
I thought you were in Utah enjoying all that new deep powder.
The Colonel
jimmy
February 27, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I'm going from Slush to Crush next week. Hope those storms keep coming , johnL & comprex are/were there for some pretty good pow i suspect!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.