Ice predicted 2/25 - Eastern WV, Nova
9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Clay
February 24, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Anybody following the predictions of ice (freezing rain) for Eastern WV and NOVA? Anybody going to change their plans because of it? I'm here now (TLine) and its gorgeous. I am keeping my eye on the storm though because I do have to get home tomorrow...
Just not sure when I'm heading back yet.

Clay
Norsk
February 24, 2007
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
I'm at Tline also. What a day today, btw. I was planning to head back to DC after lunch tomorrow, thinking that its better to drive in a storm in daylight. However, looks like the storm could pass through by midafternoon. Might be one of those rare days when its better to leave later.
Clay
February 25, 2007
555 posts
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, although it seems to be sticking around on the other side of the mountain (Strasburg is supposed to get it all day). Oh well. I'll probably give it as much time as possible, while leaving enough time to get over the mountain in daylight and hope that WVDOT and VDOT take care of it.

Clay
fishnski
February 25, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
The Canaan Hts observer said that there was a period of Heavy snow before it changed to Sleet & freezing rain shortly after daybreak. 4.4 inches....Maybe the snow mixed & crunched with the ice will be enough traction to get you all out to the main drag which they usually take good care of...Good luck everybody...PS...It looked real busy at TL yesterday..was it?
Norsk
February 25, 2007
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Re crowd yesterday, I actually thought it was a bit light for a mid-winter Saturday. Using the single line (I was skiing alone), I never waited more than 3-4 minutes for the lift. Certainly not empty, but not packed. I did hear that Ski Barn in CV had their best weekend in history last weekend (Presidents Day), so perhaps this was the light weekend after the big holiday.

Looks like we got 2-3 inches overnight at Tline base, with some sleet/ice on top this AM.
fishnski
February 25, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I had cked the TL Webcam yest & must of caught it when the lift lines had bunched up. BUTTTt then again there looked like a mess of skiers out & about doing their thing. Its all relative I guess..the three times I have been up there this year there was a 0 to 3 minute wait in the doubles line.
...Here is a switch....Petersburg on the "eastern front" got 11 inches of snow in 9 hours! sometimes that side of the Western Front can trap some colder air..or the WF blocks some of the warmer air coming up or Both or Whatever...it happened!...somebody will be going home that way but with the temp above freezing hopefully it will just be a Scenic ride
Clay
February 25, 2007
555 posts
Amazing. You're post reminded me to call my parents who live in Petersburg (bad son, I know ). My mom confirms at least a foot on the deck. Not a lot of ice though. I am hearing horror stories from my wife in Stafford though. They have six inches and were expecting rain.

Power has blinked off once at Northwoods but came right back on. Planning to head home around 3:00, but I'm going to be flexible - if I have to stay, I'll stay.

Be safe out there,
Clay
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Had seven inches of wet snow here at my place in Springfield, VA. Forecast changed from rain/sleet to snow about 3:00pm, maybe up to 10 inches. So guess what? The snow changed over to a light rain! Could all freeze over tonight. This sure has been a strange winter weatherwise.
The Colonel
kwillg6
February 26, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
And then there was the post by MM that winter is over???? I still stand by my prediction of another couple of storms for the mid atlantic. We're seeing a very active pattern. I was in the PGH area on Saturday and left when they talked of ice. Drove home to VA and watched network TV for the 11 o'clock news and no mention of major snow . Anyway, I threw my back out yesterday am shoveling 6" of "light precipitation" off my driveway..... Wish I had a job where, as an expert, I could be wrong over an 8 hour period.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?