Off the Mid-A track - Jiminy Peak
4 posts
3 users
Jim
December 29, 2003
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Family and I are heading to Jiminy Peak to meet some friends for skiing in early February (NOT the holiday weekend!). Been to the website and the area looks like a typical small/medium sized East coast resort. Has anyone been there and can comment on their overall impressions? How was the skiing, trail layout, nightlife, non-ski activities, nearby towns, atmosphere, etc?

Thanks in advance!!

Norsk
December 29, 2003
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Skied there a couple years ago. Your assessment is right on: a typical small/mid-sized eastern area, with a single peak and trails spilling down the face and sides, all converging back at a single base area as I recall. The front face, to skiers right of the main chair, has a few reasonably challenging runs, although even the steepest runs are nothing more than cruisers, unless they have been allowed to bump up. Over to skiers left side of the mountain, there is a short little run called Riptide which is a small dose of old NE skiing (ie narrow) -- worth one run. Other than that, the mtn is fairly flat. Still, there's enough to keep it interesting for a weekend, esp if you are lucky enough to get some fresh.

In some ways its a bit like Timberline -- scale, terrain variety, pitch, etc. -- but with more reliable lifts .

Nightlife, restaurants, etc. are scattered throughout the small Berkshire towns in the vicinity. Not much at the base, at least a couple years ago.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 29, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I skied there once in middle school.

It does ski a lot like Timberline. You are almost better off heading to Mount Snow, Stratton, or Bromley. These mountains are just up the road from Jiminy and offer a little more bang for the buck. I like the North Face of Mt. Snow. There's a short, but interesting run called, "Jaws of Death." How's that for a trail name?

Jim
December 29, 2003
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Thanks Norsk and Johnfmh. I'll check out the viability of going further up the road. Jiminy Peak got the pick due to a free timeshare that my friend has (well - more like already paid for rather than free). If Stratton is not too much further, sounds like a good day trip. Thanks again for the info.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.