T-line
36 posts
19 users
9k+ views
langleyskier
January 22, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Does anyone have a first hand report about what is going on at timberline? They have not opened any more trails despite the amazing snowmaking weather we have been experiencing and the almost daily snowfalls in the valley. I have a race there next weekend and am beginning to wonder if we are even going to be able to compete. Looks like their snowmaking "upgrades" really have not done a whole lot of good.
jimboc
January 22, 2007
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
did they ever open up lower almost heaven this weekend???
Tucker
January 22, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
...I would strongly recommend calling ahead and confirming event status before travelling to attend or compete in any scheduled/advertised events or races...
Clay
January 22, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Quote:

did they ever open up lower almost heaven this weekend???

No. (unless they did it after I left at 1:00 on Sunday)

Clay
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kwillg6
January 22, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
The plan was to open lower heaven, then move the guns to twister and blow for the next week there. It take most of their resources to get that trail open. I'd rather see thunder or dew open before the blue/green hybrid.
langleyskier
January 22, 2007
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

...I would strongly recommend calling ahead and confirming event status before travelling to attend or compete in any scheduled/advertised events or races...

yeah i know..... it is a team thing and so far it has been really sad because our races were canceled at 7S,wisp, and elk...... now it is looking like tline will cancel as well. so much for better snowmaking!

it aslo really sucks because tline is supposed to be the best race of the year because our alumni come up and rent out houses for the team that are ski in/out.
jimboc
January 22, 2007
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
From what I saw on thursday - they had plenty of snow on lower almost to open it (plenty of cover and about 30 huge mounds of snow on it as well) not sure why the havnt - are/were they still blowing on it?
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2007
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Quote:

Does anyone have a first hand report about what is going on at timberline? They have not opened any more trails despite the amazing snowmaking weather we have been experiencing and the almost daily snowfalls in the valley. I have a race there next weekend and am beginning to wonder if we are even going to be able to compete. Looks like their snowmaking "upgrades" really have not done a whole lot of good.

I've been watching TL's website since New Year's and have had the same question about snowmaking. Disappointing, especially since Wisp, in contrast, has responded quickly to cold temperatures with guns blasting and plenty of snow a day or two later.

Canaan also seems to be having difficulty opening new territory, even with the favorable snowmaking weather we've had lately. What gives?

Woody
Mountain Masher
January 22, 2007
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I wouldn't be too hard on T-line or Canaan for holding back a bit on making snow. Keep in mind that many ski areas are trying to deal with massive losses at this point. And, nomatter how cold it gets, less than half of the ski season is all that remains. So, given the high cost of snowmaking, I wouldn't be too surprised if a number of ski areas decide not to open all of their slopes. Also, it's better to a get a deep base down on a few trails than make a thin base on all trails. Keep in mind that we're likely to return to a weather pattern with ABOVE AVERAGE temps by Feb. 10 (if not sooner), so making a DEEP base on a few major trails is a safe move.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 22, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Just back. They are doing the best they can with the hand mother nature has dealt them.

Today, great groomed conditions on Sally and WL. Did not ski drop today but enjoyed the it yesterday--BIG WHALES!

They started snowmaking on Twister yesterday but when I left today at 1200, it was too warm to make snow (32.5 degrees). I suspect they will start blowing again on those trails as soon as weather permits.
Girlboarder247
January 22, 2007
Member since 01/2/2007 🔗
110 posts
Were they making any snow in the terrain park right under the lift today? The guns were set up there yesterday, but they weren't turned on yet when I left at 5:00.
fishnski
January 22, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
URRrr Prob Right Mr Mash..sort of...They will keep opening more trails slowly but SURELY. I just wish that they could have got real Aggresive & moved the guns off the trails that were all ready opened to other trails so that we could have skied in peace this weekend! Man, I needed a pair of gloves that have the wipers on them! The nat snow was powder but the manmade was a little sticky & stuck to your goggles & slowed your skis down....Necessary evil I guess....COLD & SNOWY thursday till this morn when I left!!! Leaving my place for my long ride back to NC this morn There was a burst of snow that seemed to be the West Va Alpps telling me to keep hope alive & to COME ON BACK!!! Beautiful Drive back thru the southern route out of the Alpps....Seneca rocks looked awesome! Sent some family members over to Whitegrass & to Canaan for Airboarding to spread the "Wealth"...Mount Porte Crayon looked like...well..THE BOMB..Waiting to be awakened!!!!..Breath Taking!!!
tgd
January 22, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Andy - enjoyed the same view this AM on my ride home. It's been a few winters since I've seen that widespread an area of the WVA Alpps covered in white. Reminded me a little of out West - particularly the huge snow fields up high on MPC. Skiing was great this weekend even with the necessary evils blazin'. The Drop on Saturday was great fun. The setup of consecutive whale kickers leading into the bump field makes that an awesome trail. Skied the late Silver Streak most of Sunday - also much fun. Now that trail was nothing but mud and big rocks last weekend. Plenty of snow in there Sunday. Anyone notice how the Drop went from super soft to ice between Sat and Sun?

Twister and Lower Almost H should be open this coming weekend. Rumor in Timbers Sunday night was that they had just begun making snow on OTW. Those pole mounted guns really kick - they have made a ton of snow on the Drop. I heard it only takes 2 days of snowmaking to open OTW - outside chance for this weekend?
Clay
January 22, 2007
555 posts
Nah. Not going to go there.

Clay
giantjr
January 22, 2007
Member since 09/18/2006 🔗
29 posts
I went up Wed-Sun and thought they would open Almost Heaven...never did...and I left with huge mounds of snow. They stared grooming AH (bottom) on Sunday. T-Line almost lost WL, so they are smart to blow opened runs first and then move the guns to new runs. They started blowing Winterset, Twister and others on Sat night. WL awesome at 8:00. Drop had a lot of snow blowing and by the end of run goggles were covered with ice. T-line may not have a lot of runs opened, but the runs open were awesome. Bumps came about 10:00, so if you like groomed...get out at 8:00am. Salamadar, WL, Drop had guns all weekend. They moved the guns at 9:00pm Saturday night to Lower Dew Drop...30 feet from our hot tub. Stunk for sitting in hottub as guns blew, but we all celebrated!!!!! Be patient. They are working hard, but they seem to want to build a big base prior to moving. It would be nice if they opened top-bottom night skiing on Almost Heaven. Why don't they install lights on WL if it opens first? Anyone?
warren
January 23, 2007
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Giantjr,
I can tell you that years ago, they used to have White Lightning and Thunderstruck open for night skiing. I remember skiing them one year and then the next year seeing them being roped off when it came time for night skiing.

I asked a patroller what gives and he indicated (nicely) that it wasn't his idea. He suggested that I should talk to the management, I never did

In short, there used to be a LOT of night skiing at TL (Dew Drop (top-to-bottom), Almost Heaven (top-to-bottom), Thunderstruck, White Lightning, and all greens except Sally)

-Warren-
kwillg6
January 23, 2007
2,066 posts
Night skiing on WL became, in a word, dangerous. It gets scraped off during the day and the usual skiers who hit the hill at night are your intermediate/novice skiers. Years back, I used to help patrol in the evenings. It became a futile effort since so many out of control skiers were inadvertently hugging trees and most time was spent sledding casualties to the aid room. I think it was a management decision, and a good one.
warren
January 23, 2007
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
<rant>If there are people that are being stupid, clip their lift ticket! It really irks me when the rest of us have to pay for the ignorance of others.
I see this time and time again where people either are oblivious of the skier code or choose to ignore it and there is little to no enforcement.</rant>

Ahem, OK... That's out of my system now.

-Warren-
bawalker
January 23, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
That doesn't make sense, yet it does. It oes from the standpoint of preventing injuries, however it doesn't make sense to close out WL rather than now have alternatives open. Heck look at wisp, all of their Blacks are open during the night and it's usually just about as many idiots going down it at night as they do during the day. Timberline just needs to have alternatives like Salamander, Twister, or something open to let the intermediates focus on that. That and or major warning signs at WL with patrollers ready to clip tickets.
wvrocks
January 23, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
I suspect its more about the lack of properly functioning lights and has nothing to do with reducing skier collisions at night. Otherwise every trail would be closed at night. Lightning, Thunder, Heaven and Dew Drop all used to be lit. Heaven and Dew Drop are barely lit the way it is. Timberline simply hasn't put the money into fixing the lights.
kwillg6
January 23, 2007
2,066 posts
That's correct in part, however, idiots doing fugure 11's down a black.... I wouldn't want any part of being there. At least in daytime, you can see your avenues of escape. The lighting on WL has always been poor. It was even worse on DD and Upper thunder when it was lit. I've been a big advocate of lighting salamander, however, some of the homeowners would probably complain, hence killing that move. It's also a cost implication as suggested. It cost $$ to install, repair, and light slopes at night. However, they keep them lit without having them open so go figure.
wvrocks
January 23, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
They still ski DD like that at night. Except with only one or two trails open at night from the top the traffic is much more concentrated and the snow gets scraped off quicker. How is that more safe? I'll grant that they are less steep, but Heaven has a tricky for beginners double fall line and Dew Drop has a large drop off on the outside of a turn.

Sally won't be lit for 3 reasons. 1) its partially on Forest Service Property, 2) It takes a long time to groom and they usually do it after daytime closing, 3) Homeowners would complain about the light and noise. (of course they also complain about not being able to get to their homes after 4:30)
January 23, 2007
778 posts
Quote:

I wouldn't be too hard on T-line or Canaan for holding back a bit on making snow. Keep in mind that many ski areas are trying to deal with massive losses at this point. And, nomatter how cold it gets, less than half of the ski season is all that remains. So, given the high cost of snowmaking, I wouldn't be too surprised if a number of ski areas decide not to open all of their slopes. Also, it's better to a get a deep base down on a few trails than make a thin base on all trails. Keep in mind that we're likely to return to a weather pattern with ABOVE AVERAGE temps by Feb. 10 (if not sooner), so making a DEEP base on a few major trails is a safe move.

Good points about snowmaking from MtnMasher and johnfmh. Patience in mid-January should pay off in March at Canaan, TL and elsewhere.

Thanks,
Woody
kwillg6
January 23, 2007
2,066 posts
Agreed, WVROCKS. Do you ever have to sweep at night? I've helped in the long lost past and DD's left side is a nightmare, especially on a snowy night.
wvrocks
January 23, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Well I haven't had to do it this year. Lack of snow has something to do with that though. You are right, you have to take your time sweeping that section of the mountain when visibility is poor. To be honest with you I try to avoid working nights as much as possible. Mostly because of the lack of terrain and poor conditions. If it were up to me we'd close the lifts at about 5 and have no night skiing. It always amazes me that people actually pay to ski that stuff. They'd probably make more money off of people heading to the pub and resturant than they do from night skiing. Well thats assuming everyone in the pub didn't get mad and leave because of the poor service..

you were on the courtesy patrol right?
kwillg6
January 23, 2007
2,066 posts
Back in the days of Andy Snyder....miss those days. We had a lot of very good folks who gave a lot to the mountain and never took anything in return (except for fresh pow pow in trade for carrying bamboo and sleds for patrol @ 6:30 am)
wvrocks
January 23, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
yeah the program hasn't been so great in the last few years. I got started as a courtesy patroller in 96-97. Joined the ski patrol the next season. The new Mountain Host program could be good but no one seems to be willing to step up and take ownership of it.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Ok, let's remember to revive this thread in about 8 weeks and see how we did. While I really like the laid-back feel of Timberline, I am disappointed in their efforts so far. Otoh, early in the season I was ready to write off Wintergreen (which would be my 'home' resort at only a 3 hour drive!), but they were really good last weekend and now looking great. Now who do you think will have better terrain the last weekend of March ?

Anyway, I will be at Timberline this Saturday in a green/gray shell, white poles, and bright K2s. See you there?

Quote:

Quote:

Good points about snowmaking from MtnMasher and johnfmh. Patience in mid-January should pay off in March at Canaan, TL and elsewhere.

Thanks,
Woody

jimmy
January 24, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

The plan was to open lower heaven, then move the guns to twister and blow for the next week there. It take most of their resources to get that trail open. I'd rather see thunder or dew open before the blue/green hybrid.

Snow Report says that Lower AH is open. This twister next thing is weird, I really believe they need to re-think the way they open the mountain.
Rickh
January 24, 2007
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Tline's Web Cam woke up!!!!
skiTLINE
January 24, 2007
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Yep webcam is up. Also the weather has been fantastic there. Guns still blazing and ma nature is doing her part. They will still wind up this year with near average snowfall I am predicting. I think we will get a big dump sometime in Feb. Hopefully while I am there for my bday
Clay
January 24, 2007
555 posts
Quote:

Snow Report says that Lower AH is open. This twister next thing is weird, I really believe they need to re-think the way they open the mountain.

Jimmy,
Did you notice the snow report also says they've now opened Upper Silver Streak? I'm surprised they didn't think of that sooner...

Clay
January 24, 2007
778 posts
I'll be at Wintergreen! Gotta use my pass...finally.

Have a great time at TL, and see you later.
jimmy
January 24, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Jimmy,
Did you notice the snow report also says they've now opened Upper Silver Streak? I'm surprised they didn't think of that sooner...

Clay

Ya it did seem pretty much open last weekend anyways .
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2007
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Crossing paths again! you should be in great shape there, and it looks March 2-3 for me.

Quote:

I'll be at Wintergreen! Gotta use my pass...finally.

Have a great time at TL, and see you later.

kwillg6
January 26, 2007
2,066 posts
Looking at the web cam carefully..... I think.... yes, yes, they are! They are now blowing on lower thunder. That means NASTAR in another week!!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?