Tuscan Ridge
23 posts
11 users
9k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 15, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Tuscan Ridge in Davis is using this "photo" as an example of the "world-class" ski resorts in the Canaan Valley:

http://www.livesouth.com/view_community.php?communityid=20061105144032

Is that you Jimmy gettin the goods on the Drop?
myrto
January 15, 2007
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
OMG, is the a more pretentious, more out of touch with the feel of a place, devolopement than this proposed "Tuscan Ridge"

If so I hope it goes up at Snowshoe or Wisp.

And why count Snowshoe as part of the area and not Wisp. Wisp is 30 minutes closer.
kwillg6
January 16, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
That's Jimmy doing his famous cloud skiing!!!!! Wonder where they got their promo pics?
jimmy
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

OMG, is the a more pretentious, more out of touch with the feel of a place, devolopement than this proposed "Tuscan Ridge"

Hee, Guido moves to WV .

(Please b4 anyone busts on me for my insensitive politacally uncorrect comment above, be forwarned i AM half a guido and will hunt you down .

Ya Johnfmh, That REALLY looks like the world class skiing i'm familiar with in the Alleghenys, they must have brushed the view of Lake T out of the background. I just wish they'd have let me keep that red jacket.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kwillg6
January 16, 2007
2,066 posts

Hee, Guido moves to WV .

I thought he was already there and working in the pub???
Jimmy, I got a spare red jacket you can use for the next promo shoot you make
jimmy
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
HEY Tucker, i think kim just called you a guido .
bawalker
January 16, 2007
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
HEY! The last name of a good friend of mine is Guido. And boy is she hot too!
MadMonk
January 16, 2007
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Tuscan Ridge gets a big thumbs up for unintended comedy.
Tucker
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Jimmy, couldn't be me...I was told that my bar tending days where over and that there were cameras watching the bar...HHMMMM...Cameras???here's a novel idea...if the bar tenders where watching the bar instead of cameras than you wouldn't have to go back there and serve yourself,,,and fellow thirsty patrons...people can die of thirst you know...wait a minute..my bad...next time I'll just look up and ask the camera for a drink...maybe I'll get a camera installed in my house and get drinks served to me while I'm sitting on my couch watching ski flicks...yes it's all coming together now...
jimmy
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
in a perfect world

the camera would watch the bartender

the bartender would watch the bar

tucker could stay on his stool

oh nevr mind just let the boy eat his debbiled cwabs in piece.
ubu
January 16, 2007
Member since 05/11/2005 🔗
40 posts
Quote:

No kidding. And yet the last time I drove through the development it looked like at least 1/2 of the lots were already sold!
Tucker
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Yeah your right I expect to much...besides I've been sitting on the couch and I set the camera up on the mantel and have been asking it to bring me a drink for the last half hour and nothing has happened...

...I like my "debbiled cwab" cut up into small "pieces"...
jimmy
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Tucker while you're up....... no really i think you are onto something, but maybe, how about if we could get a button put on the remote instead, call it the need beer button?

Speaking of beer, where does the sewage from this Tuscan Ridge flow? Davis i'd bet.
ubu
January 16, 2007
40 posts
Quote:

Speaking of beer, where does the sewage from this Tuscan Ridge flow? Davis i'd bet.

I figure they're just dumping it in the old strip mine off canaan loop rd...isn't that right in Tuscan Ridge's back yard?
yellowsnow
January 16, 2007
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Public water and sewage via City of Davis.
tgd
January 18, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
There was an article about Tuscan Ridge in last week's Parsons Advocate. They have already sold 35 lots in their first "neighborhood". This is apparently 2/3rd of what they have on the market. Ultimately they expect to build out 4 distinct neighborhoods on about 430 acres of land there. They are trying to build a very upscale version of Old Timberline - gated, paved roads, and a 6500 sq ft common lodge. What do you think 200 rich DC area families owning second homes 2 minutes from Davis is going to do to that town? Davis only has around 600 residents now. If Tuscan ridge takes off (and it appears that is happening), it will be a big part of the beginning of major changes in the Valley.
ubu
January 18, 2007
40 posts
Wow, I had no idea TR was so big. 430 acres is a big chunk of land. I guess more development in the valley is inevitable, but TR just seems like the wrong model for further growth. It seems so out of place! If growth is coming, I would rather see something more like the west shore of Lake Tahoe, where at the least the architecture has the right feel and there is some respect for keeping as many trees as possible. If the valley turns into another Deep Creek Lake (and if Davis turns into a McHenry) it will be very depressing for eveyone involved.
dmh
January 18, 2007
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
It is very perplexing but perhaps inevitable. This is not the typical, 10-15 unit developments that while disruptive are not likely to change the character of the place. Tuscan Ridge, however, signals a dramatic change and could alter the character of the place in ways that are not good. I predict that within the next couple of years Tuscan Ridge will have the second stop light in Tucker County at the entrance. My wife long ago said that was the sign that we have to sell our property in CV before the McDonalds appears.
tgd
January 18, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I just checked their website. TR is actually 480 acres. 1/2 to 3 acre homesites starting in the "$100k's" - "call for details". Agree with u ubu - wrong model. The proximity to Davis is most interesting. Remember that "Davis is Cool" theme that started last year? How long until Whole Foods or Wegmans moves in on the Shop 'n Save? If that development does take off it is going to totally change the demographic of that town.

Tom
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 18, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Well, if Tucker County wants more tax revenue for schools and public services, this is a way to get it.

Also, 200 second homes is not as high impact as one might assume. It's nothing by Loudon County standards. Also, many of these people will visit their homes just 4-5 weekends a year. If you can avoid the valley during big weekends, it's still a sleepy place. However, I do see a stop lights looming in the future--both here and at the Timberline Road. I also see more much needed services moving to Davis. We don't exactly need a McDonalds but a 24 hour Sheetz would sure be nice.
jimmy
May 6, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Tuscan Ridge, courthouse steps.
kwillg6
May 7, 2009
2,066 posts
When's it happening? I member ole' t-line most doin dat 2. Den der wuz a far sail on lots back in '98 I tink it wuz.
jimmy
May 7, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
End of april, bank bought it back.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.