Timberline Snowmaking???
13 posts
5 users
2k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 10, 2007
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I noticed from the report that Tline is not making on Upper Sally or any of the major top to bottom blues? Is this true or did they simply not update the report?
kwillg6
January 10, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
John, from what I can see and know of, there are no guns on any blue terrain with the exception of the bottom blues such as almost heaven and white-out. It seems to me they are repairing WL, Drop, and other slopes. They are probably making on Sally as well. Still haven't had that one open yet this season, which is a record, even for t-line. I think we can expect the first blue to be upper dew with twister, but the latter requires at least a week of non-stop to cover with adequate snow. Remember that winterset is a priority with the pricey rentals there.
January 10, 2007
1,986 posts
Kim:

Did they ever fix the problem with snowmaking on the West Side of the mountain? I am still sort of surprised that Tline does not have more capacity, especially after boasting of all the purported improvements.
kwillg6
January 10, 2007
2,066 posts
It was to have been done when it first became warm. That's the last I heard. That could explain why nothing is being made up there if it wasn't.
Clay
January 10, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
As sad as that is that makes sense. Why else wouldn't they be blowing on the top of the mountain? There should be some sort of truth in advertising law. Oh wait, there is.

Clay
wvrocks
January 10, 2007
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Looks to me like they are making snow on Lightning, The Drop, Cross Roads, and maybe Whiteout and Lower Heaven from the webcam and from earlier today on the Dolly Sods cam. Can't see Salmander but I'd bet they are working on it. It was getting close before we got hit with warm weather.

If you were there this past Saturday and Sunday it was painfully obvious how thin things were getting. Be thankful that we got some cold weather and natural or we might not be skiing much of anything. Give the resorts a break, they are most likely going to be patching things up during this cold spell, especially with rain on the way Friday/Sat. Can we really expect them to be opening much new terrain? Count your blessings and get out there to support the local areas.
January 10, 2007
1,986 posts
Kim:

Assuming the repairs have not been made and that snowmaking on the Western side of the mountain will not be happening this year, where does West begin? What trails are affected?

This is really discouraging.
Clay
January 10, 2007
555 posts
Quote:

If you were there this past Saturday and Sunday it was painfully obvious how thin things were getting. Be thankful that we got some cold weather and natural or we might not be skiing much of anything. Give the resorts a break, they are most likely going to be patching things up during this cold spell, especially with rain on the way Friday/Sat. Can we really expect them to be opening much new terrain?

Yes, I was there and it WAS terrible. I only took two runs on my rock skis. I do think that the resorts have been doing a great job - especially T-Line. And I will be there this weekend.

But if, in fact they didn't fix their water issues (just rumors, not fact) and the STILL touted their improved snow making system on their website, I would be pi$$ed.

While I may not like the fact that a resort dosen't have the money to do something that I think needs to be done, I can live with it. But don't tell me you did (or are going to) something that you're not.

Clay
kwillg6
January 10, 2007
2,066 posts
Last year the leaks prevented them from making new snow anywhere because it was like a screen door in a submarine when they pumped. With the majority of leaks fixed, they can make snow, abeit how much, I can only guess. If everything is repaired, and the system is "watertight" there is no reason why they couldn't be using every gun available to them and then some, which is what I expect. It's just that they want to keep what they have before opening new. Makes sence although we get bored with the limited terrain. I'm glad I'm not a SP holder at Massanutten, Wintergreen or a vast array of other less fortunate ski areas more vulnerable to warmer temps and increasing sun angle.
jimmy
January 11, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
From what i heard and saw Tuesday and Wednesday, they've got every gun and stick on the mountain fired. The eight or ten inches of snow didn't hurt either. They plan to open Sally this weekend. They were concentrating on Sally, WL and the sticks on the drop were on, not sure about OTW. The snowmakers have been busting butt for the last 72 hours; if you are fortunate enough to be there this weekend, be sure to say thanks. I'd guess that it takes as much snow to open Sally, WL and what they've got open from midstation as it does to open the rest of the mountain; once they move the guns to the blues things will happen pretty fast.
kwillg6
January 11, 2007
2,066 posts
ya, Jimmy! will do. Howz it goin 4 u? Been 2 ski lately? bending z nees or angle the skis?
jimmy
January 11, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Kim i wuz so exciteable about the snow, god and man made that i forgot about the skiing..... it snowed all day tuesday, hard at times, everone had that glazed donut look, visiblity was bad. Wednesday was cloudy, visibility was good, white lightning was ungroomed, bumped a bit, cruddy, you know, just the way I like it. Those trees we got kicked out of last month are sweet again. Tuesday was kind of busy, i think wednesday lots of people went to whitegrass, seemed no one was there but me and the people who were getting paid to ski.

I'm ok from the midstation but WL kicked my a$$ on tele, waiting for some blues to open.
Clay
January 11, 2007
555 posts
WL kicks my a$$ and I'm fixed heel

You do make a good point about the snowmakers and I want to clearly state that they have been doing an awesome job with what they have to work with and my whining is not intended to diminish that is any way. This was supposed to be my breakout ski season and I guess I let my frustration come through inappropriately at times. I will try to do better in the future.

Clay

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.