27 degrees in the valley
29 posts
10 users
11k+ views
Tucker
January 2, 2007
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
It's currently 27 degrees in the valley(atleast at my house)...theres still a dusting of snow on the ground from last night...I just got home and I'm covered with white stuff from today...unfortunately it's drywall dust and is a hole lot less fun the snow,,,,but doesn't melt...

...Jimmi, maybe I should I put my toolbelt down and get a job as a bar tender...what da ya think...
Tucker
January 2, 2007
893 posts
...it is n_w 21 degrees...
Clay
January 2, 2007
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Tucker,
First, if the key just popped off - line it up where it should be and press fairly hard - it should pop back on (if we're talking about a desktop keyboard, not a laptop).

It looked like the forecast said mid 20s last night and the same tonight. Do you know if T-Line got a chance to turn any of the guns on? Hopefully, your answer won't require an "o"

Clay

Edited to clarify hardware configuration
Tucker
January 2, 2007
893 posts
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...there we go...thanks...I'm not sure...wasn't over there today and I can't see right now due to the dark and all...but if I had to bet I would guess yes...

I don't know what the humidity is number wise but it's real clear out and feels fairly dry... and when I licked my thumb and threw the grass in the air the wind was pretty calm(I learned that from watching golf on tv)...cold, dry, no wind...smells like good snowmakng conditions to me...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Clay
January 2, 2007
555 posts
Thanks! See? Us IT guys can be useful in a pinch

Clay
jimmy
January 3, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Ya, u wore the wrong shoes to work on Tuesday , sure was cold where i was at. Got to do a little car hunting on my way home last night. Missed the first one but got the second one real good. Bartending, hmmm, you did a pretty good job in your cameo appearance, maybe another calling?
Otto
January 3, 2007
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Is this mystical valley within a 3 hour drive from the Washington Monument?
jimmy
January 4, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Otto, if you can catch a ride with JohnL it just might be. Had my first powder day of the season there on jan 2, yup half an inch of powder, drifts up to at least 2-3 inches.
Tucker
January 11, 2007
893 posts
currently 4 degrees at my house in the valley
Girlboarder247
January 11, 2007
Member since 01/2/2007 🔗
110 posts
Awesome...I see Tline is still making snow this morning, I hope it continues throughout the evening...I've seen enough dirt chickens for this season
kwillg6
January 11, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Whot's a dirt chicken????? Any relation to a mud hen???
Girlboarder247
January 11, 2007
Member since 01/2/2007 🔗
110 posts
dirt chicken n. skier who runs into muddy patches,stopping them immediately, and, in severe cases, ejecting them from their skis into the mud. Skier usually rolls around in mud trying to gather equipment. Found in mid-atlantic resorts during warm spells.
Tucker
January 11, 2007
893 posts
nice definition....let me add some synamonimonons(sp)...

dirt chicken- syn.dirt bunny, mud shark, brown red boots

....just wondering...what would your definition for a box chicken be...
Girlboarder247
January 11, 2007
Member since 01/2/2007 🔗
110 posts
Somehow I knew that was going to come up...I think you know very well what a box chicken, but for those who don't:

box chicken n. Snowboarder who, while approaching a box to attempt a boardslide, chickens out and does a 50/50. Flapping of arms like chicken wings towards the judges while in competition is a common sign of box chickenitis. Rail chickens are also popular and occur while appraoching a rail instead of a box...I'm pretty sure there are also some rare jump chickens out there as well.
Tucker
January 11, 2007
893 posts
....Yes, I believe that air-chickens lack the ability to fly...but they do a mean side step...
jimmy
January 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Whot's a dirt chicken????? Any relation to a mud hen???

So would Crush's recipe for the wolverine work ok, or maybe we could dust the chicken in dirt and then rub on a nice jerk seasoning??

Earl sez.... eat more dirt chicken, mmmmmmmmmmm good .
JohnL
January 14, 2007
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Earl sez.... eat more dirt chicken, mmmmmmmmmmm good

LOL! I was wondering who would be the first person to use "Earl" and "Dirt Chicken" in the same sentence.
fishnski
January 14, 2007
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
The only way to cook a Dirt Chicken is with an ole fasioned Artic blast...freeze burn the Sucka!
Clay
January 14, 2007
555 posts
I saw my first dirt chicken today. I was on the lift at T-Line and there it was, flapping around in a puddle off to the side of White Lightning. It was an interesting sight to be sure. It looked like it had gone into that puddle on purpose at a high rate of speed, but then didn't seem too happy about it

It was very hard to find the dirt chickens this morning. It was very foggy on top of the mountain:

T-Line is doing a great job, but I fear it may be a losing battle. Big sink holes are starting to open up under parts of Sally - there's just too much water running under the slopes - and the mud puddles are coming back to WL. Hopefully we can make it until Tuesday. I'm going to stay up here and prove to myself that it really can get cold up here

Clay
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
In this case a picture (like the web cams at 7 Springs) really is worth a thousand words. I have been wondering where all the posters have been the last couple of days...skiing, I guess. Glad to get a report! I hope to get to TLine later this week if the weather gets cold, they make lots of snow, and, most importantly, open a few more trails before the weekend. By the way, everybody notice that the Canaan Lodge is having a discount promotion for January?!!
The Colonel
kwillg6
January 16, 2007
2,066 posts
Wow, you mean I've been seeing all those "dirt chickens" and didn't know what I was missing???? I hear they are quite good when marinaided in a lemon sauce then seared on the grill . The one I saw on Saturday on the drop was quite a plump little hen unlike the scrawney rooster walking down WL, skiis and poles in hand....
Murphy
January 16, 2007
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Quote:

LOL! I was wondering who would be the first person to use "Earl" and "Dirt Chicken" in the same sentence.

"Earl", The West Virginia Snow God!

I can see him now, holding his ice scepter in one hand and the big brown jug in the other, casting the disbelievers into the mud puddles to flounder around like chickens.
jimmy
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
This will be very popular once Tuscan Ridge gets built out; I'd imagine one of the new feativals in Tucker County will be the Tuscany Dirt Chicken Cook-off:

Wash chicken, taking great care to remove rocks, twigs and leaves, and mud, skis and boots. Brine in salted water 4-24 hours. In a large bowl, combine chicken with 4 oz EVOO, four or five bulbs of minced fresh gahlic (for you not-guidos a bulb is the whole gahlic, not just a clove), rosemary, salt & pepper and allow to marinate 2 hours. Roast chicken @ 375F for 2 hours, allow to rest a minimum of 20 minutes before serving.
jimmy
January 16, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA Murphy were u bin ive missed u .

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"Earl", The West Virginia Snow God!

I can see him now, holding his ice scepter in one hand and the big brown jug in the other, casting the disbelievers into the mud puddles to flounder around like chickens.

Tucker
January 16, 2007
893 posts
For a fried or crispy version remove rocks, twigs, leaves, skis and boots as you would for tuscan dirty chicken. Then proceed by using a garden hose to remove mud...but leave all carharts, nascar/camouflage jackets, jeans, and or rastafarian/porcupine hats on chicken....and deep fry...best when servd with a cold/delicious...before you fry you should take off the group ticket pass...you can use the wicket as a wish bone...be sure to wish for snow...
Murphy
January 16, 2007
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA Murphy were u bin ive missed u .

I'll tell you were I haven't been....on the slopes. That's gonna change tomorrow.

And what's with the 50% guido thing? 75% right here...and I bet my great grand parents were pretty dissappointed when my grandmother got mixed up with that cajun boy.
Tucker
January 17, 2007
893 posts
...currently 8 degrees F...no wind...and 3-4 inches of dry,light fresh snow...
jimmy
March 27, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
72 degrees, last chance to see a dirt chicken,

maybe kwill will

throw a big one on the grill
kwillg6
March 27, 2007
2,066 posts
YUM! YUM! DIRT CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!