North-Central PA?
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
WilburW
December 15, 2006
Member since 12/15/2006 🔗
4 posts
Hi, first time on board (and didn't ski last two seasons; doesn't global warming suck?) Hope I'm doing this right.

Being a competent-beginner skier, I'm hoping to limit crowd size by spending a long weekend at one of the more "basic" resorts in north-central Pennsylvania (Tussey, Denton, Sawmill). Can anyone in my boat share any insight into which is the best site to spend three days on beginner to easier-intermdiate trails?

TYIA
WilburW
Clay
December 15, 2006
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Wilbur,
I can't answer your question - but many on here can (and will, I'm sure). I just wanted to say "welcome aboard".

Clay
fishnski
December 15, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Wilber, I'm Real Tempted to give you a real Frat style Hazing Being a Newbie..But My Ole Lady Is watching over my Shoulder so you are off the hook....Welcome aboard Snow Bunny!
Roger Z
December 15, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Denton is NOT for a newbie. It's a skier's hill, no doubt. Might want to try Tussey.
tommo
December 15, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
If you can go just a bit further than north PA, you might consider Greek Peak in NY. I have heard many good things about it, esp. for those aspiring to improve from the novice ranks. It's located just off of I-81 37 miles north of Binghamton or 75 miles from Scranton. The extra hour of driving will be well worth it, esp. if you plan to spend a couple of days, Greek Peak Ski Resort
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 16, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Sorry never been to the three you list, but agree rep of Denton is for tough stuff and Tussy gentle. Three days is a long time at a very little place, you might also think about the trail variety and apres ski diversions at places like Holiday Valley in southwest NY and Seven Springs in western PA. Also, Elk Mtn in northeast PA has a lot of nice, long groomers.
WilburW
December 16, 2006
Member since 12/15/2006 🔗
4 posts
Studying the map a little more closely, even Denton appears a little further than I really want to drive (from MD).

I think it might work better to stay in Williamsport PA, visit Sawmill on Sat eve and Sun day; then visit Roundtop on Monday on the way home.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?