Wintergreen was good today!
8 posts
3 users
2k+ views
skier219
December 14, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Short report: skied Wintergreen today. Snow is holding up remarkably well. Beautiful sunny day, temps were 45F this morning, got up to about 57F in the afternoon but felt cooler. Morning snow was frozen granular corduroy and some soft granular corduroy. By mid-day it was soft but still firm, with only a few slushy spots. Late afternoon it started firming up again with all the shade.

Dobie and Eagle's Swoop are open, but I stayed on Eagle's Swoop all day -- had some nice lines on the steep part and good carving on the bottom section. Though I normally prefer cooler weather and more consistent snow, I actually had a great time skiing today -- about as good as it gets. I think it helped to be on fat skis -- they are pretty much oblivious to variable conditions.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 15, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
So you made your early turns - great. i've had some trouble escaping the local scene and i'm disappointed we only have one real slope open for a three hour drive! i'll be up next friday if the snow holds.

hey - they didn't list upper cross trail open so did you have to boot it over to eagles swoop?

edit: this is post 100 !
skier219
December 15, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

So you made your early turns - great. i've had some trouble escaping the local scene and i'm disappointed we only have one real slope open for a three hour drive! i'll be up next friday if the snow holds.

hey - they didn't list upper cross trail open so did you have to boot it over to eagles swoop?

edit: this is post 100 !

Ooh, the centennial post!

I parked right across the street from Eagle's swoop, and only had about a 40ft walk to the snow, which was nice. Laziness kept me from skiing over to Dobie, as the walk back to the car would have been a pain in the butt. Another good parking spot would have been down near the tubing hill -- that was also right near the snow.

I am hoping I can get a day in next week too, probably Thursday or Friday. Last year I had already skied 4 days by Christmas -- this year I will be lucky to squeeze in 2. I am hoping the weather improves for the first week in January, after the Christmas crowds depart. Of course, if there is no snow, there probably won't be crowds!
December 18, 2006
925 posts
now for +1!

i can go friday of this week but weather service shows 60% rain (wintergreen says sunny!). oh the injustice. game day decision. anyone else?

but next week, maybe thursday, is looking really good per weather forecasts. i'm getting psyched about that. will also be up the jan 5-7 wkend. anyone else?
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 19, 2006
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
I was also at Wintergreen this past weekend, and I skied for my first turns of the season on Saturday the 16th. Agree that temps felt cooler than they were, which kept the runs from getting too slurpy. Eagle's Swoop was scratchy on the upper, steeper portion on skier's right, but overall I found conditions to be OK-plus. Just not much choice of runs yet.

In answer to Pagamony's questions,

1. I'm a wanderer, so I took advantage of the two (wow, count'em, two...but better than being at home) open TTB runs by alternating between Dobie and Eagle's Swoop a few times. Lower Cross Cut was open, but Upper Cross was not, so that meant some uncomfortable waddling back and forth in the boots.

2, Yes to January 5-6-7 at Wintergreen! See you there.

Woody
skier219
December 19, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
The forecast might change before Friday (it's already changed a bit in the last 12-18 hours) so who knows, you might be OK. I am going to head up on Thursday since the weather will be good and they will have 1-2 nights of minimal snowmaking by then to patch up any thin spots. Hopefully it will be a good day! I plan to wear an all-day path in Eagle's Swoop again...

I will be busy with visiting family next week, and it's usually too crowded for my tastes anyway. But I'll definitely keep Jan 5 in mind and maybe we can ski a few runs together. I might actually head to Snowshoe that week/weekend if winter ever returns!! Sometimes I stop at Wintergreen on the way to/from Snowshoe, so the 5th might work out well.
December 20, 2006
925 posts
eek, the friday forecast was improving yesterday but today it is getting worse - both warmer and rainer. don't make too bad of a rut in eagles swoop and do make some sacrifice to ullr while your at it, we need some supernatural help.
skier219
December 20, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
If it isn't bad enough that the weather sucks, the forecast keeps changing every few hours. Now the chance of rain has moved into Thursday afternoon as well. I should have skied today! (that is a repeating theme with me). Oh well, guess I will bring my rain gear....
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.