March 1, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts
any Tele skiers headed for Wintergreen?
skier219
March 1, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Watch the weather carefully and try to get an honest 3rd party report from a local before you head up -- with systems like this, WTG usually gets the wetter part of the rain/ice/snow mix. Right now it's looking like 7:1 to 10:1 snow/water ratios. At best it will be a 1-3 inches of heavy wet snow (and wet chairlift seats).

I stopped trying to chase snow there except in a few rare cases where it actually amounts to something skiable (none in recent years). I'm shooting for Tuesday myself -- that looks like the sweet spot for this week.
GRK
March 1, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
I think you called it on the stuff they got Saturday night 219. Highlands were no fun today...I had a binding release after hitting a big wet pile on Outer Limits. That put me off for awhile.

However, when it started snowing today (Sunday Afternoon)it was sweet. I had not been in a snowstorm up there, and this was a lot of fun. It emptied out about the time the snow started accumulating. Tyro, Swoop and the trails on Big Acorn were in good shape and the powder coming down was enough to take care of the icy spots.

No guarantees for tomorrow though. I agree on Tuesday. Looks like the best day this week. I am going Wed. that should be okay as well.
MichaelME
March 2, 2009
32 posts
Appreciate the input, but seeing how natural comes once every few years....

These parts all you get to ski is PP, LG, BP or crud, doesn't make much to wait till they groom it that way.

Besides, my models indicate nothing but fun, I'll let ya know.
skier219
March 2, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Snow report says 10+ inches of powder, but I am not sure they know what powder really is (last time they said that it was mashed potatoes). We'll see what Michael reports! I am looking forward to tomorrow -- their day after conditions and grooming are always top notch.
GRK
March 2, 2009
404 posts
It would be hard to resist going today if I could. WTG website implied they were not going to groom the Highlands and Big Acorn today but it could turn into 10 inches of mashed as noted above.

219 you have WTG pretty dialed in, so here is some more data for your future reference. It snowed a few inches Saturday night and based on my observations early Sunday afternoon, it must have been very wet. The Colonel was skiing Sunday morning so maybe he could chime in.

When it started snowing Sunday afternoon at about 3pm, the temp at the top of Big Acorn was 20 degrees and dropping. The snow was a just a little wet. It was fun to ski on though and there were 2-3 inches down when we left at 6pm. My ski jacket was sticking to the back of the chair on the quad when I got off if that tells you anything.

Getting a report from Michael on what it was like today, would be interesting.

GRK
Abe
March 2, 2009
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
I'd also be curious to hear how Wintergreen was today. I got up to Massanutten around 9:30 this morning and had great conditions all morning. Their snow report said that they had 7" of new snow - and I'd believe that - Mass seems to be the one resort that doesn't exaggerate their snow totals. The powder turned to windblown snow pretty quickly as the winds were rather strong. I guess the saying that March comes in like a lion rings true this year!
fishnski
March 2, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Left Canaan at 10am this morn with a 7 degree temp & ultra light powder falling...Gorgeous Drive thru the Blue Ridge Mtns with the heavier snow wieghing down all the branches on the trees...arrived in Wilmington,nc with snowflurries while hearing on the radio about 3000 GW protesters in DC...We better enjoy these Winter scenes while we still have the chance to before all hell breaks out! cry
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Skier219,
It snowed buckets of Utah fluff at Wintergreen on Sunday night. Winds howled, some drifts over 3 feet.
The Colonel smile
MichaelME
March 2, 2009
32 posts
Those that could have and didn't, tsk, tsk..
Definitely the best day this year and prolly longer in these parts. I skied like i never had. you could just let it hang and when you fell, looked forward to it, like jumpin on grandma's feather bed. It was so soft and light.

Nothing groomed on the Highlands, just got better all day

When it's good it's good, ain't gonna git no beta.

Not saying it wasn't workful st times, just figuring the "let it flow" aspect. and more then a few times when the flow, breathing, rhythm, came together, it was amazing. For these parts anyhoo.
skier219
March 2, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Cool, thanks for the reports. I am looking forward to tomorrow.

So, did they open the glades over between Tyro / Tequila / Sunrise? I am bringing my rock skis tomorrow just in case.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
skier219,
I did not get over to Big Acorn today. Was told the glades were open Monday a week ago, so I can not imagine it not open today unless the snow was blown elsewhere.
Heard one report tha the Big Acorn area was icy near the top.
The Colonel smile
GRK
March 2, 2009
404 posts
Hi 219...going up Wed I hope. Please let us know how it was on Tuesday.

GRK
skier219
March 3, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Great skiing today, but a little crowded. Based on the antique equipment and technique (or lack thereof), I think this was the once-a-year "oh it snowed so we should ski" crowd. Local schools were still out, so that surely contributed. But I really haven't seen that much old equipment since the 80s!

It was icy in spots, but tomorrow ought to be better if it really hits 35F as forecasted (I always think the ideal daytime high at WTG is 32-37F). Should be a beautiful sunny bluebird day out there. Have fun Glenn!

BTW, I measured a nominal 4-6" of snow in the woods (where it's not affected by wind). Saw drifts as deep as 10-20" across the mountain, but it was windpacked and not exactly powder. Still, it was nice to see honest to goodness natural snowfall on the mountain -- reminds me of when I started going to WTG about 18 years ago (boy that makes me feel old). It used to be typical to see the mountains covered in snow back then, and have snowbanks on the side of the road.

They left upper Wild Turkey ungroomed, and it has some decent bumps but a lot of ice. There was a line skier's middle-right that was quite good.
GRK
March 3, 2009
404 posts
Thanks for the info!

Local schools are back in tomorrow so should be a little better crowd-wise but Richmond area schools are still out. Double-edged sword, more people but I get to take my daughter skiing on a snow day.

GRK
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?