Route 50 vs. Route 55
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
hoyadrew
December 7, 2006
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts
Im heading out to Timberline/CV for the weekend tomorrow late evening and Im trying to figure out which way to go. I have always taken Rt 55/Corridor H but since its going to be so late, would heading the northern route be any better? I have never been on Route 50 so I really don't know. I would like to see what the new section of Corridor H looks like however, but could do that on the way back. The roads should be fine, weather wise, correct? I have to stop in Centreville to pick up my skis, so Ill have to go via I-66 unfortunately either way....I hope the traffic starts to ease up by 8.
SCWVA
December 7, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I live in Centreville, Rt. 55 is the only way to go. I haven't done the newly openned section of Corridor H, but I'm sure it will only help.

Leaving Centreville, Rt. 50 is just as bad as I66.
Redman
December 7, 2006
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
I made it to Whitegrass from the West end of Bad-Ass Burke in just over 3 hours this past Saturday afternoon. Exactly 168 miles door to door going the CH route. This included a gas stop once off 81 and, of course, strict adherence to the speed zones/traps in Wardensville, Moorefield, and Petersburg. BTW, Jack Frost f'n ROCKED!!! (:^O)>>>
rmcva
December 7, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Everyone has their preference. I drive up every weekend and I use Rt55 so I would recommend everyone else taking Rt50 (less traffic for me)

Rt 55 is my preference.
bawalker
December 7, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Rt 55 seems to be the preference, however *IF* you are interested in taking Rt 50, then here are some thoughts. I drove portions of Rt 50 nearly daily.

When heading into Winchester, you are better off on getting on I-81 N or S and getting off at the VA 37 exits at each one. From there take VA 37 to the Rt 50 exit by the Winchester Memorial Hospital. During rush hour time periods, traffic is still moving at 65MPH+ although there is just more volume than during the nearly dead regular hours. Rt 50 from Winchester to the VA/WV border is smooth sailing 4 lane without mountains. Right before you cross into WV, the road becomes a pretty wide 2 lane road going over some hills that can become congested, I rarely if ever see that. It's about a 50 min trip from Winchester to Romney, WV. From Romney to the US 220 merging it's another good 15-20 minutes. From there heading back towards the roads that lead to Davis, Rt 50 becomes twisty and mountainous as it climbs the Allegheny Front.

When looking at it on a map, it's only 97 miles from Winchester when taking Rt 50. Visually it's more of a straight line to CV/TL than taking the Rt 55 route which goes straight and then either takes a northern or southern loop to get to CV/TL depending if one goes to Mt Storm or Seneca Rocks. As for going from Strasburg to CV/TL (assuming you take I66) then it's 107 miles.

That's food for thought.
rmcva
December 7, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Bawalker - what did you end up posting for post 1,000?
bawalker
December 7, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
It was the Corridor-H threat.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.