Wisp Snowmaking
22 posts
11 users
6k+ views
lightguy
December 4, 2006
Member since 10/11/2005 🔗
19 posts
It looks like Wisp has turned on some of the guns on Main Street. It looks like its only a couple, but the East ridge is usually one of the last areas they make snow on due to the easterly direction (lots of sun) and proximity to the lake (Humidity until it freezes over). They sometimes have a hard time keeping the snow over there, so if their turning it on now, they must really be dumping it on the rest of the mountain. From the web cams, it looks like they are making it on just about every trail. Looks like they may be opening with a good portion of the Mountain with the rest to follow shortly thereafter.
langleyskier
December 4, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I am really impressed with the capacity of wisp's snowmaking. It is amazing that they have the capacity to make snow on such a large amount of terrain!
tommo
December 4, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
I toured their new pumphouse complex and control room over the weekend and it is AMAZING. The pump complex looks like a miniature version of the turbines in Hoover dam, with scroll pumps going 35ft below the pumphouse floor. From what they were describing, they can move water from Deep Creek Lake into their holding lake and the whitewater course lake at will and can fill the entire course lake in a matter of hours. The control room has plasma monitors and console monitors that 'see" every part of the mountain at any time and all snowmaking operations can be controlled from the center. They also stated that they now have more snowmaking capacity than ANY other resort. From the looks of the pumping plant, I'm inclined to believe it. They also have room and "rough in" plumbing for about 5 more pumps on top of the 9 or so presently installed. I've never seen anything like it at a ski area.....
lightguy
December 4, 2006
Member since 10/11/2005 🔗
19 posts
I knew they got permission a few years ago to pump water out of Deep Creek Lake, so I figured that the new pump house was for that and for the white water course. Great way to maximize the use of the equipment. But Wisp now has basically unlimited water supply. With regard to the extra pumps, most of them are probably for use when they put in the rest of the North Camp trails. There are 10 North Camp trails now, and the real estate maps (master plan map) show about 10 more- harder ones I think- and probably 2 more lifts. I'm guessing the rest of the trails will come along in a few years after they get the Mountaintop village underway around the white water course.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
tromano
December 5, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Wisp has always had really good early season conditions. It is often one of my favorite places to visit in early dec because of this. The added web cams just help show it off. Having all that water from the lake means they can blow nonstop and never run out of water.
tskski
December 6, 2006
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Is anyone planning on going to Wisp this weekend and take advantage of the $7 lift tickets? Just checked the web cams and it looks like they're blowing snow all over the moutain. Planning to ski there Sunday and Monday.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 6, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
tskski, I might be there for Sunday. Looking to see Wisp make an announcement about which day they will open (Sat?) and what trail count will be.
Thinking of bringing some relatives who need to rent gear. In past Wisp has offered $7 lifts and $7 rentals for the birthday event, but this year pricing looks higher for rentals; $16 skis, $18 boards. Do you know anymore on that?
Thanks.
tskski
December 6, 2006
122 posts
Can't find the opening date on the website. Other than the $7 lift tickets on Sunday and Monday, I think all of the prices are more than they were last year. We're going up Saturday night. Suppose to be sunny and in the upper 30's so it should be good skiing. Where are some good places to eat at around Deep Creek?
tommo
December 6, 2006
303 posts
Quote:

Where are some good places to eat at around Deep Creek

Depends what you like, of course. On 219/Deep Creek Drive across the lake is Pine Lodge steak house (huge log structure) that is quite good, with some of the best Crab soup anywhere. Lower priced and almost next door is Smiley's, which has pizza and is better for kids, but remarkably nice for what looks from the outside like an arcade (it's not). There's also a Perkins resturant - good breakfasts. Next down 219 is Point View Inn - traditional food with nice tables overlooking the lake. A mile or two further south on 219 is Brenda's Pizzeria (upstairs in the High Mtn Sports complex) which is very inexpensive and very good. Continue south to Will 'o The Wisp on the lake side (nice place, great lake view dining room - really nice for Breakfast) and then Uno's is next to the Arrowhead market. Best lunch around is at Canoe on the Run, which is to the Left on Deep Creek Drive just before 219 after leaving the ski area. A very nice mid-day break on days when parking isn't a problem.
tskski
December 7, 2006
122 posts
Thanks tommo. Lots of choices , the steak house sounds good for dinner Sunday night.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 8, 2006
2,964 posts
Tskski, Tommo, others,
Anybody want to rendezvous at Wisp on Sunday 12/10, maybe around 1230pm in front of main lodge around the base of The Face for a few friendly runs together?
tommo
December 8, 2006
303 posts
Base of the Face 12:30. Sunday. I'll try to be there - should be a good day if they open everything they're blowing...Esp. for $7!!

langleyskier
December 8, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Looks like there are some snowcats grooming the north face. They might have a pretty impressive trail count for this weekend!!! Hope you all who are going there enjoy it!!
ndskier
December 8, 2006
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
56 posts
Well i had to swing by wisp today and check out the opening day product. All they were offering was Squirrel Cage and Wisp Trail, but it was perfect for the first few runs of the season. They are firing on all cylinders up there right now. Guns are roaring on every piece of terrain i could see, and most of the terrain looks like it will be ready to open at any point, after being groomed out. The employees say we should expect significant terrain openings over hte weekend...hell they are even blasting main st. and this is the earlies i have ever seen them go after that side of hte mountain. This weekend should be incredibly good for anyone who ventures to wisp. the snow they are blowing right now was the closest the the real thing I have ever skied on, light, fluffy, and not sticky at all. Great first day!
fishnski
December 8, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Ur right! If the temps & humidity are down like with this Artic blast the manmade can be...Utah light!
bawalker
December 8, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I was there too today for my first run of the season and hit Wisp trail a few times on my board and once on Squirrel Cage before realizing that ALL of the wax on my board had been eaten off. That's what I get for not waxing since last Dec. Talk about that "uh oh" feeling in the pit of your stomach when going over SquirrelCage and feeling your board "grab" at the snow and jerk you around.

The other poster was right, Wisp was firing on EVERY available slope they have and the mounds of snow was enormous that they had already produced. It wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow their trail count went from 4 to 14 instantly. I expect the north camp to be mostly open as well as trails like Boulder Run. Those had the most guns on them with major mounds of snow.
tskski
December 8, 2006
122 posts
If they open more trails I should be there. I may just stay home and go to Mass. for the day; it's only a 30 min. drive. They have more trails open this year than usual for opening day.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
If Timberline does not open top to bottom terrain, I'll be there.
SCWVA
December 9, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Anyone going to Wisp on Monday?

$7 lift tickets. Might be worth the drive.
tommo
December 9, 2006
303 posts
I'm planning to for 1/2 day; Hopefully they'll have most of the hill open by then. pm me if you need a place to stay Sunday night - I may have room available in my cabin
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2006
2,964 posts
OK, not sure if I'll get on here anymore today. If all goes as planned, I'll look for some of you folks at 1230-1245pm, Sunday at Base of Face. I'll be waving my poles like a big X, wear a crazy hat or otherwise act like a skiing fool.
bawalker
December 9, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Looks like only a few more trails have opened up on the north camp area to allow for the midway lift to operate. I wonder if Wisp is building up as much possible base that they can before the upcoming warmth this week?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?