Whitetail plans to open late this week
54 posts
20 users
17k+ views
langleyskier
December 2, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
"We have got great news for Skiers and Snowboarders. Cold weather is moving into our region. With the arrival of colder temperatures we anticipate the start of snowmaking tonight sometime around 11:00 pm. We can't wait to hear the roar of the snowguns ushering in the winter season of 2006-2007. During the upcoming week the forecast calls for some great snowmaking temperatures with lows every night in the low to mid 20 degree range.

We plan to make snow on Northern Lights, Velvet Almost Home, Launching Pad, Snowpark, Stalker, Upper Angel Drop and Lower Angel Drop for starters. Also for all of you folks who love our Terrain Park, we plan to get some cool features in place very soon.

Stay tuned for our announcement on opening day. We are shooting to open sometime late this coming week.

Think snowmaking and have a great weekend. "
-whitetail.com

Late this week!!!
kennedy
December 2, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Sweet, can't wait. I'm impressed that they are planning on getting planning on getting upper and lower Angel drop open early.
Jim
December 2, 2006
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Liberty is shooting for opening this coming Friday if the cold weather holds for snowmaking...
therusty
December 3, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
The good news is that it appears Whitetail got an early start last night and temps are a few degress colder than expected this morning. The bad news is it looks like they had a bad leak in the main line pipe running by the high speed quad and spent most of the night getting that fixed. The good news is that the ground got a good chance to freeze before they started blowing where they were planning to blow. In the meantime, they've also started blowing Exhibition and the Tubing area.

Brrr - think cold!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
gatkinso
December 3, 2006
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Driving past on 81 this morning, looked like they were blowing. I even saw patches!
twin58
December 3, 2006
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
I didn't know you could see WT from 81. I've never noticed 81 from WT.
Chad
December 3, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

you can see the stretch of 81 north of hagerstown. where it approaches chambersburg, i believe.
gatkinso
December 3, 2006
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Quote:

Now you know.
jimboc
December 3, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
the website now says 4-10 inches of man made.....not on any of the cams i can see....they barely covered the ground in most places......
RodSmith
December 4, 2006
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Quote:

Can you see it from 70W? I think I get a peek of the summit around mile marker 31, but have trouble pointing it out to others. It's left of where you think it would be, and the view is brief.
Chad
December 4, 2006
274 posts
Quote:

the website now says 4-10 inches of man made.....not on any of the cams i can see....they barely covered the ground in most places......

i agree. however this morning they say they will run the guns around the clock through tuesday. sounds to me like they are serious about opening this week. lets hope so.
therusty
December 4, 2006
422 posts
On "westbound" I70, there are at least 3 places on the downhill side of South Mountain you can see the summit of Two Top mountain (i.e. Whitetail). When it's snow covered it stands out like a sore ... pinky finger (what's visible is pretty small). The first two places are about 10 seconds after cresting the summit on the stretch between the summit and the first fade turn to the left. The third place I've been able to spot Whitetail is about 2/3 down, but from there it's very hard to drive and spot WT at the same time.

BTW the amount of snow reported generally refers to the size of the piles made. It's going to take 3 inches just to completely cover the grass. From what I could see on the web cams, it's not hard to believe that the center of some of the piles was 4" deep. It was harder to tell because the cams rotate so much. (edited) It looks like Lower Angel drop is where the most snow has been made.

They got a late start last night due to warmer than forecast temps, but this is the most aggressive early snowmaking that I've ever seen them do (blowing on Limelight, Exhibition and tubing before opening).
kennedy
December 4, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Quote:

They got a late start last night due to warmer than forecast temps, but this is the most aggressive early snowmaking that I've ever seen them do (blowing on Limelight, Exhibition and tubing before opening).

I agree. Usually it's the super greenie stuff and thats it. This year it looks like they are going all out which is great. I imagine by doing that they should be able to bring new terrain on quicker. I think Liberty is on the cards for me on Sunday then maybe Whitetail the following weekend. After that we'll be going to my wife's parents for Christmas so Wisp is on the cards that weekend. If they can keep making snow like they're doing, fingers crossed, it should be pretty good conditions for that weekend. After that it's another few weekends at Liberty/Whitetail then Utah. Sweet.
MichaelB
December 4, 2006
Member since 11/20/2000 🔗
61 posts
You better enjoy this weekend, because next week we are back into a warmup into the upper 50s to low 60s in the valley areas. So all snowmaking should end by this Sunday as the warmup begins. The warmup should last for at least a week and possibly more. So here's the prediction based upon model guidance - Snowmaking Dec. 3-10 Warmup gradually begins on Monday 12/11 No Snowmaking Dec 11-18 with daytime temps approaching 60s weekend of Dec. 16.
Mountain Masher
December 4, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Thanks for adding a touch of reality! The early season/Xmas week outlook for the close-in ski areas is marginal at best. Of course, that's not really unusual; about 50% of the time, the "day-tripper" ski areas don't get a substantial base down and lots of slopes open until after first of the year.
JohnL
December 4, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I don't care if it's marginal conditions or limited terrain open in December. That's pretty much what I expect in the Mid-Atlantic this time of year. Just looking to get my ski legs back during 1-2 days of relatively easy skiing. Skiing last year was fantastic in early December; there were mid-winter conditions at Wisp on their anniversary weekend (~Dec 10.) I don't expect that this year, just expect some turns.

If Whitetail opens this weekend with at least one blue trail open, that would be fantastic!
Chad
December 4, 2006
274 posts
Quote:

Thanks for adding a touch of reality! The early season/Xmas week outlook for the close-in ski areas is marginal at best. Of course, that's not really unusual; about 50% of the time, the "day-tripper" ski areas don't get a substantial base down and lots of slopes open until after first of the year.

nothing "marginal" about the whitetail webcams right now! mixing bowl looks like mid-winter. PROPS TO WHITETAIL!
Roger Z
December 4, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Uhhh... exactly what *wasn't* real in this discussion prior to MichaelB's forecast MM? All anyone was talking about here is what they were seeing or hearing about current snowmaking conditions. No one was screaming that Whitetail was going to be skiing on a 100 inch base by Christmas week.
tromano
December 4, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Uhhh... exactly what *wasn't* real in this discussion prior to MichaelB's forecast MM? All anyone was talking about here is what they were seeing or hearing about current snowmaking conditions. No one was screaming that Whitetail was going to be skiing on a 100 inch base by Christmas week.

The Hell they won't!!!!

MM nominated best troll in history.
kennedy
December 4, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Quote:

I don't care if it's marginal conditions or limited terrain open in December. That's pretty much what I expect in the Mid-Atlantic this time of year. Just looking to get my ski legs back during 1-2 days of relatively easy skiing. Skiing last year was fantastic in early December; there were mid-winter conditions at Wisp on their anniversary weekend (~Dec 10.) I don't expect that this year, just expect some turns.

If Whitetail opens this weekend with at least one blue trail open, that would be fantastic!

I'll echo that. Last year's anniversary weekend was epic. Lots and lots of fresh and a good manmade base, awesome. Do I expect Liberty or Whitetail to have a deep base and tons of runs this weekend nope but anything right now is a damn sight better than nothing. NOAA is predicting a chance, albeit slim, of snow flurries during the week for Mercersburg and up around 7 Springs. With a bit of luck I'll be cutting some turns this weekend. I like how my reality looks.
langleyskier
December 4, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

ok MM this is it!!! please stop ruining every good thread with some of your environmentalist bull!!

when whitetail opens later this week the skiing will be far from "marginal" for an early weekend in december. Even if they are able to only open a single trail i would call that "good" for early december in the mid-atlantic. In case you have not noticed, whitetail is making snow on about 75% of their terrain around the clock and are poised for a great opening weekend. Yes it may get a little warm next week but for once in your life enjoy the present and be HAPPY!!!
Roger Z
December 4, 2006
2,181 posts
Okay, no one is calling for a 100 inch base Christmas week at Whitetail except Tromano...
Chad
December 5, 2006
274 posts
hey i hope none of you are watching the whitetail and wisp webcams. please stay home this weekend with mountain masher. i for one will be on the slopes, despite the "marginal" conditions.
langleyskier
December 5, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Wow!! What a huge difference after 24 hrs of snowmaking! Going to be a great opening weekend! Also, if anyone noticed.....heavy snow right now at 7Springs!!!!!
queenoftheslopes
December 5, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Tim and I will be with you. So as I see it now, and early leave from work, ski a few hours at whitetail, then head over to 7 springs for a weekend of skiing!
JohnL
December 5, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Carpe Snowflake.
JohnL
December 5, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Happy Birthday, queenoftheslopes!
Chad
December 5, 2006
274 posts
Quote:

Also, if anyone noticed.....heavy snow right now at 7Springs!!!!!

geez the 7springs webcam looks like a white-out.
therusty
December 5, 2006
422 posts
This thread was about Whitetail right? Just checking. Well, we made it through the night with another chance to keep going all day today. The current forecast "locks in" enough snowmaking weather for an opening this weekend. Friday looks real good. My guess is that we will have an opening day declared by Wednesday afternoon. With high temps forecasted in the 40's next week, we should be able to get more trails open before Xmas (including tubing).

Now if we could only get all of the cams working....
langleyskier
December 5, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

This thread was about Whitetail right? Just checking.

Did not mean to diverge from the topic.... i was just writing the post about whitetail while checking cams from the region and noticed that it was snowing 7S....could not resist posting

Back to whitetail......does anyone know why they never seem to blast on drop in but do blast on exhibition?
Mountain Masher
December 5, 2006
541 posts
When I used the word marginal in my post, I was referring to mid-season conditions versus early season conditions. And, like I said, about 50% of the time early season ski conditions at the close-in ski areas fall into the marginal range when compared to conditions that are typical after first of the year.
JohnL
December 5, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

When I used the word marginal in my post, I was referring to mid-season conditions versus early season conditions. And, like I said, about 50% of the time early season ski conditions at the close-in ski areas fall into the marginal range when compared to conditions that are typical after first of the year.

By that definition, then Alta, Snowbird, etc. are marginal for their early season.
kennedy
December 5, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Quote:

Yeah, sure, whatever. Moving on.

Anyone have any idea of what Liberty plans to open? I'm sure they are pushing to open around the same time as Whitetail. Haven't been to Lib in a few years but wifey doesn't like Whitetail so much so we're going to try Liberty instead on Sunday. I'd love to go to Wisp/7Springs but too many commitments this weekend to make the trip.
Mountain Masher
December 5, 2006
541 posts
JohnL, in case you didn't notice, my definition of "marginal" early season ski conditions was applicable to the "close-in" ski areas of the Mid-Atlantic. Trying to expand my defintion to places like Alta and Snowbird is like comparing apples to oranges.
langleyskier
December 5, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

JohnL, in case you didn't notice, my definition of "marginal" early season ski conditions was applicable to the "close-in" ski areas of the Mid-Atlantic. Trying to expand my defintion to places like Alta and Snowbird is like comparing apples to oranges.

So do apples or oranges denote marginal conditions?
tommo
December 5, 2006
303 posts
marginal /Pronunciation[mahr-juh-nl] - 3. at the outer or lower limits; minimal for requirements; almost insufficient: marginal subsistence; marginal ability.

To be fair, that may turn out to be a pretty accurate definition of the conditions at the close in resorts this weekend, esp. if it does go back up to near 60

Fortunately, conditions at the areas west of the Alleghany front look like they will be very good! In any case, there will certainly be good sliding within a few hours of the mid atlantic.
queenoftheslopes
December 5, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Regardless of all that I am going to go out enjoy the outdoors and sliding down that wonderful snow.

Marginal or not.
therusty
December 6, 2006
422 posts
Quote:

Back to whitetail......does anyone know why they never seem to blast on drop in but do blast on exhibition?

It's quite simple actually. They let Exhibition get bumped up, but they always groom Drop In. Drop In would be a great short bump run, but it's the only entry trail to the expert terrain and there are some skiers who like to ski on blacks but don't like the bumps. However big the bumps get, half the snow comes from below the average depth - ergo you need more depth. Lastly, they have fan guns on Exhibition.

It finally dawned on me this year why they are blowing Exhibition and Limelight so early. These runs have fan guns on them. Fans have their air compression. Using them makes the most use of snowmaking capacity. Before, when we had mostly the sled type guns, it made sense to concentrate capacity on a few runs to build up a base and make sure we could stay open. Because the fan guns are fixed and increase overall snowmaking capacity, it makes sense to use where ever they've been put.

Looking at the huge piles of snow in the mixing bowl and on Velvet, I expect to see a Friday opening announcement tomorrow (oops - I guess that would be later on today - good night all)
RodSmith
December 6, 2006
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Quote:

Fine with me, I prefer to ski when it's warm. Typically local hills don't get crowded until most of the runs are open. Once they are fully open, you will see huge crowds and icy conditions if it's below freezing, fewer people and no ice when it's warm. Limited terrain, 'marginal' conditions (spring snow w/ bare spots/thin areas), warm sunny weather, locals only, life could be worse. Apples, oranges? Have some lemonade!
therusty
December 6, 2006
422 posts
It's official. Saturday 12/9 will be opening day.
john84
December 6, 2006
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
Any idea on what lift ticket prices would be?
therusty
December 7, 2006
422 posts
WT used to discount early early season tickets, but the current management typically will not as long as the high speed quad is running. Instead, they run the $29 learn to ski/learn to ride deals, the $10 lessons and the 2 for 1 tickets deal for Snow Blast Bonus Card holders. These deals run from opening through 12/23.
SteveC
December 7, 2006
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
Whitetail says they will have 4 lifts and 8 trails open. Do you think this will include the "experts choice" lift?
Chad
December 7, 2006
274 posts
Quote:

Whitetail says they will have 4 lifts and 8 trails open. Do you think this will include the "experts choice" lift?

my guess is they will have the two bunny hill lifts running as there is plenty of snow there now. along with snowpark and the hi-speed.
kennedy
December 7, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I agree. You've got to read into it carefully. The bunny hill comprises of, at most, 2 trails but the trail map rates it as 4 trails. The green slope, Snowpark, also has Stalker tacked onto it as a blue theres 2 more. Angel drop is divided into upper and lower, there's 2 more. In reality it's more like 4 trails total ,which I still think is pretty good, but by Whitetails counts that's 8. I agree that I think the lifts will be the two bunnies, the green quad and the high speed.
Chad
December 7, 2006
274 posts
Quote:

I agree. You've got to read into it carefully. The bunny hill comprises of, at most, 2 trails but the trail map rates it as 4 trails. The green slope, Snowpark, also has Stalker tacked onto it as a blue theres 2 more. Angel drop is divided into upper and lower, there's 2 more. In reality it's more like 4 trails total ,which I still think is pretty good, but by Whitetails counts that's 8. I agree that I think the lifts will be the two bunnies, the green quad and the high speed.

i wouldnt be surprised if they opened up homerun as well. its the run that splits from angeldrop about halfway down on skiers right. then it goes under the hi-speed to the mixing bowl. that seems to be the second run that is opened on that side. so by your count (which i agree with) that would be 5 runs.
Mountain Masher
December 7, 2006
541 posts
It looks like Whitetail is playing it safe, which is a smart move based on the 15 day weather forecast. They are making sure that there's a deep snow base on a few slopes before opening up more terrain. Hopefully, the open slopes at Whitetail will last through any mild spell.
therusty
December 7, 2006
422 posts
Expert's Choice will not be open. You can see on the web cams that they have not started making snow on Drop In (but they are blowing near the top of Drop In). So there's no way to get to the lift.

My guess on the 8 runs to be open are:
First Tracks (off the magic carpet)
Northern Lights (off beginner quad)
Velvet (off the beginner double)
Almost Home (connector between Northern Lights and Velvet)
Snow Park (off the EZ rider quad)
Stalker (the blue run off EZ)
Upper and Lower Angel Drop (off the top)

Limelight looks like it's close.
Home Run had not been started the last time I saw it.It's hard to tell from the cams right now.

They've got flurries up there right now and they're blowing again and will be able to continue through Saturday noon (that's 42 more hours of snowmaking). Conditions on Saturday should be Super Outstanding.
SteveC
December 8, 2006
145 posts
Not being a terrain park type of guy, I've always taken HomeRun back to the lift instead of going through Lower Angel Drop (LAD). First, am I correct in assuming that the terrain park and LAD are one in the same? Second, is there any etiqutte I should be aware of for skiing though a terrain park (I won't be using any of the features but can't swear that my 8 and 11 year olds - and wife - won't )? Lastly, even though they don't list HomeRun as opening tomorrow, what probability would you assign to that changing?

Thanks!
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 8, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
The terrain park is located on Lower Angel Drop. Skiing through there shouldn't be a problem. It's a wide slope and I've never had trouble skiing around the terrain features. It gets a little narrow at the very bottom (especially if there's some big mounds of snow), but you can still ski to the side without trouble. Sometimes you'll want to pause at the top and wait for folks to clear out a bit -- just use your judgment. If they're not listing Homerun as opening, it's probably unlikely that it will open -- they might be blowing a lot of snow on it if conditions permit.
kennedy
December 8, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
The only thing to keep in mind in a terrain park if you are not hitting stuff just make sure you stay out of the line of approach for any rails and jumps. Stay to the sides as Scott said. If you're kids are going to hit something just make sure they know to sope it out first, and if they are going to hit something, that they call their drop. Good things to learn young. Oh and if they bail make sure they know to get out of the way as quickly as possible, especially on the down side of jumps( not that there'll be any this weekend) where others approaching from up hill may not be able to see them. It may hurt if they fall but it'll hurt a lot more if someone lands on them.
jimmy
December 8, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Second, is there any etiqutte I should be aware of for skiing though a terrain park

Also remember SteveC, before you enter the park to drop u drawers down below ur hips and don't forget to unexpectedly sit down in the middle of the trail , or you could just do what Scott and Mr. Kennedy said.
SteveC
December 8, 2006
145 posts
Is "call their drop" (Kennedy) have something to do with "dropping their drawers" (jimmy)

But, um, seriously, what's "calling their drop"?

And thanks for the insight so far!
kennedy
December 8, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Whe you come in usually you'll see a cluster of people sitting at the top of the run in, skiers and boarders. This is a loosely collected line and everyone takes their turn at running everything through. Before you take off for your run at the features just shout "dropping" so everyone knows you're going. It keeps things orderly and it's just good manners. It's not cool when someone flies into the park, is technically last in line and just cuts everyone off. Like I said if you're not hitting anything it doesn't matter just keep out of the approach lines.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?