When will they open?
22 posts
15 users
5k+ views
langleyskier
November 28, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
If i had to guess i would say next friday or saturday as the opening day for the snowtime resorts with each having their beginner areas open and maybe one or two top to bottom runs. But that could be kinda hard considering they wil be blasting on unfrozen ground that is still wet from rain and will most likely not have any good 24 hr time period to make snow.

what does everyone else think?
kennedy
November 28, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I presume you mean Friday or Saturday week. I'm thinking they can get open by then but I agree that it will be tough to lay down good snow if the ground is warm or wet. If they got some natural unexpectedly that would probably help.
tommo
November 28, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Wisp, Seven Springs, TL - 12/9
Canaan Valley - 12/21
Snowtime - 12/22
Most Pocono's - 12/22

I believe all of these dates would be about average to slightly earlier than average opening days over the last 15 years.
Clay
November 28, 2006
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I tend to agree, but I guess it depends where you're talking about. In Canaan, Accuweather is still calling for highs in the low 40s and lows in the teens from Sat (12/2) until Monday and then highs in the 30s and lows in the low teens with both steadily falling until 12/9 and then a slight warm up, so they should get pretty cold ground by mid-week.

Seven Springs doesn't get quite so cold, but starts having lows in the teens on Tuesday and Wintergreen never makes it to the teens, but starts seeing lows in the low twenties early in the week (I didn't know whether to call 25s the low twenties ) If so, they start Monday.

Clay
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
tromano
November 28, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Wisp, Seven Springs, TL - 12/9
Canaan Valley - 12/21
Snowtime - 12/22
Most Pocono's - 12/22

I believe all of these dates would be about average to slightly earlier than average opening days over the last 15 years.

This is right on. TL has been much more on the ball with their snow making. Good for them!!

SS might get another trial or 2 open this weekend but don't look for much new terrain until the 9th either.
Clay
November 28, 2006
555 posts
According to their web page Canaan has moved opening day from 12/1 to 12/8.

Clay
langleyskier
November 29, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Quote:

According to their web page Canaan has moved opening day from 12/1 to 12/8.

Not at all surprised to see that. But i do think that canaan (if they get their act together and make some snow) along with 7S, wisp, and t-line should be able to open by the 8th; however, i just looked at the forecast for Mercresburg, PA (near whitetail) and it does not look good at all for snowmaking there. Most likely they will blast for a few hrs a night in effort to get some type of base down but without a real arctic blast the next 10 days does not look too good in terms of snowmaking for them. Hopefully we will get lucky and this weekend's front will be a little colder then forecasted and give the larger resorts some natural snow to start with....only time will tell
Clay
November 29, 2006
555 posts
I know that there are a myriad of forcasts out there and that you can find one that will say what you want it to. But here is an east coast skier friendly forecast from Accuweather.

From the press release:
"Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi believes that the current El Niño pattern will be one of the factors that determines the nature of the coming winter, but that the government's weather service is overplaying its effects. Unlike the National Weather Service forecast, Bastardi does not see this winter being warmer than normal across the vast majority of the country. Overall, the AccuWeather.com Winter 2006-2007 Forecast calls for a cooler-than-normal winter along the East Coast and eastern Gulf Coast, and a warmer-than-normal winter from the western Great Lakes to the Pacific Northwest."

You can read the whole thing learn about the Madden-Julian Oscillation , but basically, he is saying that he expects it to be 1 degree colder than average and (hang on to your hats) 150% of normal precipitation for those who ski in NC, VA and WV and 125% for those who ski in MD and southern PA. Check out the two map sidebars for predictions for your favorite mountain.

The whole forecast is here.

The press release is here.

Clay
David
November 29, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Wisp's "On Snow" instructor training was scheduled for this weekend...Something tells me that there is going to be a change of plans.
Lietmotiv
November 29, 2006
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
I don't know about you guys but I rarely every make any serious skiing plans on the east coast (short of a day trip or two) before January. Honestly I think the seasons are shifting a little bit. How many times has WV gotten a dump of snow in early april. I think for the last few years. I know Timberline could stay open until mid-late april if they wanted to. Perhaps it's time for the Mid-atlantic to adjust their ski seasons. I'd love to see them build some monster bases during the cold times and stay open til may.
kennedy
November 29, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I think a lot of the problem isn't the lack of snow. I've seen Snowshoe close with awesome coverage. The problem is that when it starts getting warm they folks that there may still be snow on the mountain put their skis away and go do other things. The mountains can't stay open if no one visits so they have to close down. Until you can realign peoples perception the season length can't change regardless of coverage
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 29, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
accuweather 10 day forecast says starting late Friday, Dec 1 that night temps in mchenry, md will be in 20s or teens all the way thru weekend of Dec 9/10. might want to go to Wisp birthday bash on 10th. will be interesting to see how they prograss from nothing til then!?!
jb714
November 29, 2006
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
If that forecast is accurate, 7 Springs and Wisp should be able to crank out a whole bunch of snow over the course of 7 or 8 nights.
therusty
November 30, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
I'm usually trying to jump the gun and make a forecast, but I don't see the right kind of weather to get "that feeling" yet. If we can get 24 hours of snowmaking in monday 12/4 and an average of 6 hours a night after that, a 12/9 opening is barely possible. RoundTop may have the extra degree or two difference to make it. Whitetail and Liberty look to be under 50% chance to me. After 12/9, it's still a guess if the cold dome hangs around or more warm weather returns. Right now, my gut is telling my 12/22 is more likely, but I'm not at the point where I'd bet money. I'm just hoping they blow piles until the ground freezes and they have enough forecast cold to open for sure.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 1, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,992 posts
Almost everything west of the Allegheny Front will be able to open by the 8th--Wisp, Timberline, Snowshoe, 7 Springs, and maybe CV. The best bet for next weekend will 7 Springs. Historically, it usually is "firstest with the mostest" once it decides to make snow in earnest.

East of the line resorts will have a tougher time.

Another thing... December weekends before Christmas typically are not crowded because people have too many committments during this period to ski--parties, shopping, school events. At the Springs, Sunday is often light because in Pittsburgh, football is more important than skiing.
tommo
December 1, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
I like the optimism, but I think very limited will better describe the weekend of the 8th. Temps are still near 60 in CV, Garrett Cty, and Somerset. Next week will see some colder weather, but not the consistent, deep dry cold needed to really get things cranking. I stick with the original dates forecast at the top of the thread, with Wisp having only the front side (no east ridge or northcamp) open, 7 Springs having front side with maybe one backside run, TL one run from the top at best, and Snowshoe with 1/3 the basin next weekend. Everywhere else will be still be hoping for weather that allows them to open by Christmas week.

Let's hope I'm wrong, but there sure doesn't seem to be any real cold shots on the horizon
snowcone
December 1, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
'They' will open SOON!

I agree with johnfmh... traditionally we start our season with a 4 day weekend between Demo Days and Christmas at Snowshoe. The rates are low. The crowds are manageable as long as you stay away from Ballhooter and Cupp mid-morning. The weather is hit or miss; we have been there for rain and 60 mph winds and last year for a bootiful 2 day dump.

That weekend before Xmas can be some of the best skiing around the MidA. My advice is; TiVo the game and go ski!
energy177
December 1, 2006
Member since 12/1/2004 🔗
19 posts
i really do think that roundtop will be opening on the 9th. cold temperatures at night are forcasted throughout the week. you'd be amazed what roundtop can do in a short time.
Taylormatt
December 2, 2006
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
The guns just came on at the Springs.
jimboc
December 2, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
yep t-line and wisp have re-begun also
Clay
December 2, 2006
555 posts
Quote:

yep t-line and wisp have re-begun also

But the T-Line camera is off-line again (as of 11 on 12/2), so we can't watch!

Clay
therusty
December 2, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Me and my big mouth. Now I see Whitetail plans to open later this week and the forecast has changed to lows in the low to mid 20s. Now this I don't mind being a stupid dork for. Now if the website would only get back up so we can watch the progress on the web cams. If this forecast holds, there will be no problem getting angel drop open by Saturday.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?