8 posts
6 users
1k+ views
brunjest
November 21, 2006
Member since 02/22/2006 🔗
8 posts
Looking for suggestions!

I have been to Canaan but not to Timberline.

I am planning to take my kids (10 and 11) to Timberline for a mid week, one day ski trip. They are still in school but I want to take them out for one day. Don't want to deal with christmas holiday crowds.

I would like to drive out sunday, day before, and stay in a motel/hotel night before and then drive back after skiing on monday for one day.

Any suggestions on where to stay that is close to Timberline for one sunday night? Also, should I just wing it and stop at somewhere out there I find, or should I call ahead.

thx,

todd
Clay
November 21, 2006
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
The only place I've ever stayed in the valley is the Canaan Valley Lodge. It's nice enough for what it is and there is stuff for the kids to do - pool, gameroom etc. I know there are a lot of little places in Davis, but I've not stayed at any.

I always think it's best to call ahead, it give me peace of mind. If you decide on Canaan, you can book online here

Clay
yellowsnow
November 21, 2006
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Deerfield is good. Look here:
http://www.deerfieldwv.com/
Clay
November 22, 2006
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
yellowsnow,
I've heard about Deerfield village, but I've never been exactly sure where it is. It's hard to tell from the map on their website exactly where it is. Have I just driven by it and never noticed?

Clay
yellowsnow
November 22, 2006
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Clay,
It's on Cortland Lane, just off 32 almost exactly across from Canaan Valley Fire Department (right near Canaan Valley Stores, the Exxon station).
It's one, two, and three bedroom townhouse rental condos.
hoyadrew
November 22, 2006
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts
I've stayed at the Econo Lodge in Elkins, WV before and it was fine. Free continental breakfast and an indoor pool. And you can reserve pretty easily online. It's not the closest though, but Elkins does have a lot of food and stores should you need something.
tommo
November 22, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
The Canaan Valley State Park lodge is probably the best value around, esp. for a Sunday night stay. If you want/need more room than just a hotel room, though, Blackbear Resort has small pedestal homes for rent at very reasonble rates (and lodge with rooms also). The view of Timberline and Canaan Valley is awesome and the kids would love the loft in the units. I don't know if they do single night rentals.. though if you call and ask them - I'd bet they will, esp. for a Sunday night. Click the link below to go to their site:

Black Bear Resort
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 22, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I had a nice one night stay at the Meyer House B&B in Davis last Jan:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=869&mode=search
Canaan Valley Lodge is also good and has pool. Tip: you can pay for a small fee for one time swim at their pool and stay elsewhere.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?