Slope work at t-line?
13 posts
8 users
3k+ views
kwillg6
October 13, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I was up in the valley yesterday. Cold, rainy, and the leaves were going away fast since they are past peak. I noticed some equipment up above the small terrain park area and there was some digging and some brushing out of tree areas (with a dozer). Anybody know what's going on? I won't be back up there for another week to hit the local and find out. Maybe it the installation of those snow sticks which have been sleeping in the parking lot for the past several months.
jimmy
October 13, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Kim, they have the 06/07 winter website up now. Points of interest:

Opening day, Dec 7, That's a good thing.

Snowmaking, 60 new stationary snow sticks, That's a good thing.

White Lightening Widened, from the write up "This concept has met with enthusiasm by our skiers ......"
kwillg6
October 13, 2006
2,066 posts
Thanks, Jimmy. The earthwork must be from the waking up of the resting sno sticks... Enthusiam????? sort of like the killing off of the whales and the flat grooming of EVERYTHING . I wonder who's writing their script this year?
bawalker
October 13, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
This is probably it per the tiline website:

New Surface Lift!
This year Timberline is adding a surface lift to augment its existing three chair lifts. The newly installed surface lift will increase uphill capacity and serve to shorten lift lines. The surface lift will be particularly attractive to ski and ride enthusiasts to enhance their enjoyment of our terrain parks.
kwillg6
October 13, 2006
2,066 posts
They are finally installing that old rope tow that they have had sitting around for a number of years is my guess and it would explain the earth work around the lower terrain area. But increase uphill capacity and shorten lift lines???????? Who are they kidding?
kwillg6
October 13, 2006
2,066 posts
They had an old rope tow which they had sitting around and I guess that they are finally putting it in which would explain the work in the area of the terrain park. But increase uphill capacity and shorten lift lines who are they kidding?
tommo
October 13, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
C'mon, Folks! Talk about nattering nabobs of negativity!!

In the last year, TL has added an entirely new, summit to base trail, widened another, is very significantly upgrading snowmaking and is putting in a surface lift to get more terrain park users and beginners off the two summit lifts. This is GOOD. Repeat, this is GOOD! Heck, at this rate, they could announce plans for a new quad to the top and somebody would probably complain about that. Let's lighten up the attitude on all the local ski hills just a bit (Maybe the 2 FEET of new snow in upstate NY will help attitudes, no?)
kennedy
October 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Getting lake effect up north right now is pretty sweet. I'm going on vacation for two weeks starting next Friday. I like the idea that I'm back the end of the first week and I only have another 3 weeks before the gun comes out of hibernation. Can't wait. Hopefully I can go hit some lines around Wisp Thanksgiving weekend while I'm up there enduring..err... visiting the inlaws.
Clay
October 13, 2006
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Not much to add, but I do remember reading that they were putting in a surface lift to the terrain park, so that is probably it. I'm heading up there tomorrow and will see if I can find anything out.

Clay
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 14, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The rope tow should help alleviate some of the lines for Thunderdraft, which is a good thing. Personally, I think we have a lot going for the resort this year--the new trail, greatly enhanced snowmaking, and the prospect of a quicker drive if the new section of Corridor H opens. I'm very pleased I purchased two season passes.
jimmy
October 15, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Tommo, you Pandering Peale-ar of Positivity ,

I intended to infer no negativity...ha double negative.... on the progress Tline has made recently... well to be honest i'm still a little bitter about silver streak but to keep with the spirit of PPP-ing, maybe they won't groom it, that's a good thing.

Another thing mentioned on the website was the Western Face/Winter Haven expansion. More trails, snowmaking and lifts. Their snowmaking has improved to the point imo that they could open for the season a full week earlier if they wanted to. The addition of twister has thinned crowds on the slopes to the point they could handle more uphill capacity and the surface tow definitly will reduce lift lines. I'm with you johnfmh, season pass, ready to go .
kwillg6
October 16, 2006
2,066 posts
I'm sorry folks. I'm still holding a grudge over last year's perfect grooming. I do enjoy the challenge of some bumps and less than perfect surface texture although I'm not quite ready to go back to the "good old days". The addition of the sno sticks on thunder will greatly enhance their snowmaking and might help them getting the whole mountain open prior to Christmas, weather permitting. Just hope they have those leaky pipes fixed.
jimboc
October 26, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
you can really see the "new width" now - with a little snow on the ground - hit the high res on the sods cam or timberline cam....wow!! is it different!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.