Tuning in or around CV
5 posts
3 users
3k+ views
3 users
3k+ views
Has anybody had any luck with ski tunes in or around CV? I have started to do my own edges and waxing
so I really just need someone who can put a decent base grind on them.
I'm kind of in a weird situation in VA, I'm just north of Fredericksburg and work in Richmond. I tried the Ski Center in Richmond, but the guy sat on them for three weeks (after promising them in two) and then tried to convince me to let him do while I waited (no thanks). The Ski Chalet in Richmond is now a Peter Glen, a group I know nothing about. SO, my only other option (that I know of) would be to take them to No. VA (which I try to avoid). Seems like leaving them of a couple of weeks in the valley would be easier if I could find a shop that is highly recommended.
Thanks,
Clay
so I really just need someone who can put a decent base grind on them.I'm kind of in a weird situation in VA, I'm just north of Fredericksburg and work in Richmond. I tried the Ski Center in Richmond, but the guy sat on them for three weeks (after promising them in two) and then tried to convince me to let him do while I waited (no thanks). The Ski Chalet in Richmond is now a Peter Glen, a group I know nothing about. SO, my only other option (that I know of) would be to take them to No. VA (which I try to avoid). Seems like leaving them of a couple of weeks in the valley would be easier if I could find a shop that is highly recommended.
Thanks,
Clay
The only place in the valley which does base work is the ski barn. They are usually pretty good on turn around too. I don't know who the techs are for the upcoming season, but I'll check them out when I go up later this week and let you know. I usually have the my bases ground once a year or every 40 + days, then I put a 2 degree bevel on the edges myself. As far as waxing, do your own. It's cheaper, quicker, and more reliable. I'll share our NW secret tuning spot with you since you are now a homeowner.
We have a bench, vices, iron, music, but it's byo for files and wax.(also beer)
We don't have vices for dark siders sliders since we are all twin plankers.
Another suggestion is if you are coming from Richmond you may want to try dropping off your equipment at Freestyle in C-ville and picking it up on your next trip to the valley. They are know their stuff as well.
We have a bench, vices, iron, music, but it's byo for files and wax.(also beer)
We don't have vices for dark siders sliders since we are all twin plankers. Another suggestion is if you are coming from Richmond you may want to try dropping off your equipment at Freestyle in C-ville and picking it up on your next trip to the valley. They are know their stuff as well.
See? Another great reason to be a homeowner! Darn it, I just bought a portable bench and vises (which I'm willing to share). I wish I'd have asked sooner!
Thanks Kim!
Clay
Thanks Kim!Clay
I usually have the Lodge wax my skis and I've always been pleased with the results.
The lodge is good for waxing, John, but they don't have a tech whom I would trust to do anything with the bases, edges, or the integrated binding systems we are now seeing in the industry. They had a demo shop in the past, but I don't think anybody there did tune-ups.

