New Boots
17 posts
8 users
5k+ views
tromano
October 9, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Ok so I finally followed up on some advice I got late last season and sprang for a new pair of boots. My old solly boots were 28.0 (size 10) my typical street shoe size is 10.5 so I figgured 10 was a good tight fit. WRONG! By the end of last season I was swimming in them. My heel was lifting and foot moving all over the place. This was causing me all kinds of weird issues especially a loss of contol in bumps.

After doing it on the cheap a couple years ago (and getting burned) I learned my lesson. So I spent 2 hours at ski center today and picked out the Technica Diablo Magma Size 26.5 (Size 8.5). These are so snug I can barely squeeze my index finger behind my heel. The liner is nice and fluffy which makes for a really snug fit. It almost feels like my feet are burried in 2 feet of sand at the beach. I will be using the the barest of liner socks for a while. It's funny how much smaller a ski boot should be than a regular shoe.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2006
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,578 posts
Yes, you have to take into account that they boots pack out after a year or two of use. I bought some Head RS-80's last season and I first thought, "Boy, I made a mistake, these boots are too tight". After a few days of skiing they started feeling pretty good. I also spent the extra bucks for custom foot beds. Boy are they comfortable. I highly recommend custom foot beds. The Head RS-80's are racing boots which seemed to fit my feet like a glove when I tried them on in the ski shop. But my first time skiing in these, I felt very awkward. After skiing a few days in the RS-80, I said "Wow". Excellent engery transmission. I guess you would expect that in a race boot. But these boots are very comfortable. I love them. I still have my Technica's which I use locally at Ski Liberty and Roundtop, but after skiing in them for 6 seasons, they are somewhat packed out. Technica makes a great boot. Enjoy your new boots!
comprex
October 10, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Custom footbeds?
tromano
October 10, 2006
998 posts
I got the superfeet after market insoles. My feet aren't that mangled that I need custom ones made.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
comprex
October 10, 2006
1,326 posts
'K. Just the tightness should make a big difference in transitions.

I went down to 25.5 shell (from 26.5 last year- foot measures 263 and 266 mm on -flat- surface), because I noticed too much shell room just beyond toes 3-5. The foot would attempt to rotate within the boot whenever I went to little-toe edge, and I never would have noticed if I hadn't shell fit the next smaller size on general principles. In the bigger size the big toe would touch during shell fits, and I took it for granted that the others were as tight when they weren't.
With the neoprene toebox Dolomite puts in, I didn't even have to blow out the big toe side in the smaller shell. Wowza. 296mm boot sole length in a non-plug boot. Who'd'a thunk it?
(I was in 317mm in an Atomic race11:50 not 2 years ago).
Clay
October 10, 2006
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
I got custom footbeds from Brian Eardley at the Ski Center in NW DC. It wasn't cheap ($150) and took about 3 hours, but I couldn't believe the difference in my skiing the first time out. If you've got the cash laying around I would highly recommend them (and Brian).

Clay
tromano
October 10, 2006
998 posts
I am skeptical of the custom insoles. I have read that according to MDs the superfeet type of footbeds are better than the custom ones. Neither of these are to be confused with prescption orthotics which are a totally different thing.
Clay
October 10, 2006
555 posts
That may be true. All I know is that my feet were pronating something awlful with a lot of pain and with the custom insoles, they don't do that any more and they feel wonderful.

Clay
comprex
October 11, 2006
1,326 posts
Quote:

I am skeptical of the custom insoles. I have read that according to MDs the superfeet type of footbeds are better than the custom ones.

I think of it as 'there's a much greater chance of a bad footbed and all that implies' with the customs as they tend to attempt to do more with the foot than the shelf ones. So it comes down to the skill of the person attempting to make corrections/whatsit.

I asked because a footbed can do very much to alter the apparent size and tightness of a boot shell (and liner).
Roy
October 12, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I was in Willi's last week (picking up my new skis ), and noticed they were advertising some type of footbeds (not sure if they were custom). There were 3 types and I believe they were under $100.

I cannot vouch for how good they are, or if the price is exactly right. I just noticed it while I was in the store. I wanted to throw it out there as another alternative if someone was looking.
tromano
October 12, 2006
998 posts
Cool thanks, I am up at 7S this weekened to get out of town. I will check them out. --Tim
BushwackerinPA
October 12, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
you have mountain bike tim?
tromano
October 12, 2006
998 posts
Technically yes, but I haven't ridden in years. I will stop by my parents house after work to see if tis still working.
kennedy
October 12, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Just stumbled across this and I promise not to hijack much but, just on the subject of mountain biking. Man I've just had non stop issues lately. First I break my chain, and of course you can just change the chain, you have to change the cassette too. Then my pedals strip out my crank, new pedals and crank. Just last night I was night riding with a new light set I just got. One of the lights falls off the handlebars and gets lost. I'm hoping thats all three things and that all will be well for the rest of the year.

Hijack over.
BushwackerinPA
October 13, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
you want to meet me and tim at springs saturday?
dcmidnight
November 13, 2006
Member since 11/11/2006 🔗
125 posts
Quote:

I got custom footbeds from Brian Eardley at the Ski Center in NW DC. It wasn't cheap ($150) and took about 3 hours, but I couldn't believe the difference in my skiing the first time out. If you've got the cash laying around I would highly recommend them (and Brian).

Clay, did that include the bootfitting? I'll finally be picking up a new pair of boots this year after having various troubles over the years with getting my feet fit (I swear one foot is 1/4" and out of whack from the other one) and would gladly pay the money to get good fitting inserts if needed.

Was just at SC this weekend and had already spent two hours on the first floor so didnt have time for boots. OK so 1.5h of that was waiting for my wife to finish shopping but hey, whatever keeps her loving the slopes.
Clay
November 13, 2006
555 posts
I actually brought my boots with me (Nordica Beast 10), but flat out told him that if he needed to replace them, I was game. He looked them over and said they were fine. Its a ninety minute drive for me, but I WILL go back if I ever replace these beasts They've earned a customer for life.

Clay

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.