What's it gonna be this winter? Snow or no?
33 posts
17 users
10k+ views
kwillg6
October 2, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Every year about this time, I get filled with anticipation for the ski season. I don't know if it's the ski mags, the sale and swaps, planning a trip, or the crisp cool nights that have me counting down the days. When will the big snows fall? How cold will it be and how long will it last? Will we be skiing pow in December? Pull out you crystal ball, almanac, or arthritic knee, and give you best forcast for the ski season in the mid-atlantic.
tgd
October 2, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Lots of snow - starting early and continuing late into the season - topped off with an end-o-season storm at tline.

Won't be long, the leaves are about half way there up in Canaan, you could almost watch them change before your eyes this weekend.

(ps., is this thread just a ruse to bait the mash-man back online?)
queenoftheslopes
October 2, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Well, lets see. According to the farmers almanac, the midatlantic will see a the coldest winter in recent years, and snow.

Last weekend at 7 springs while hiking on the trails, I came upon a wooly catepillar. It had a large brown stripe, I was always told this would mean a mild winter. However, it was also really fluffy... I remember also hearing that if the coat of the wooly catepillar is fluffy it will be a cold hard winter, and if it was sparse then it would be mild. Inconclusive based on mr. catepillar.

I am hoping for a cold snowy winter, and am feeling pretty positive at this point. Also my above predictions based on my silly analysis.
kennedy
October 2, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I've given up trying to predict winters around here. Last year started strong and I thought it would be epic but look at what happened Jan into Feb. My motto now is take it as it comes and plan at least 1 trip out west.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimmy
October 2, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
90% chance .
bawalker
October 2, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Based on my own observations of the weather leading upto this fall... it wouldn't surprise me if we had a long, cold, harsh, and snowy winter. Why? Well last year for example in Wardensville it was hot and dry with extremely high summertime temps well into mid-september. I remember hanging out with a friend of mine here at home looking for kittens that a momma cat just had. It was hot (90ish), grass was dead brown, and it felt like july. This year it was as if during August while we had some really hot days, they slowly cooled off towards the end of august by dropping into the low 90's. But all of a sudden in the last week of August, when the remnants of that hurricane came through, temps dropped into the 80's and kept falling faster every since. The last week of September last year was still in the 80's, yet this year it's much cooler and doing so faster. I'm crossing my fingers that this is a precursor to something big this winter.

Don't we have at least one 2.5'+ snowstorm in the non-mountainous areas every 3-4 years? With the last one being in 2003 (I went to Texas 2 weeks after it happened).
SeaRide
October 2, 2006
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
I don't know which is more cruel that will toy with your emotions.. freezing winter without snow .. just freezing temps and no snow.. or warm winter where it snows alot and melt really quick.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 2, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
OK... Was just at Snowshoe this weekend. Flurries on Friday. The colors of Fall have made their presence in the upper thousand feet of the mountain. I vote for cold and snow!!!!
Snowmakers
October 2, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Wicked early season, then an average to somewhat crappy peak, then a heck of a March.
comprex
October 2, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

average to somewhat crappy peak

Meaning fog and ice in mid to late Jan.? I agree.
jb714
October 2, 2006
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Winter as a whole will average somewhat colder than normal, with slightly below-average snowfall. Of course we'll have the usual mid-January thaw with 55 degrees and rain.
bawalker
October 2, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Don't forget the mysterious 70* day during the last week of Jan before the cold blast returns and before we all commit suicide thinking it's forever over and to get out the beach equipment...
tromano
October 2, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I am thinking that the allegheny front will get 6"-2' of snow every weekend from Thanksgiving till april fools.
fishnski
October 2, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I'm playing the odds....below par T-Giving..great X-Mas & new years, There will be a jan thaw but Quickly followed by a decent feb & a GREAT March...all Canaan(3200') needs are 150 inches(AVE YEAR) to reach a 5 year ave of 180 inches!
Snowmakers
October 2, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Quote:

Quote:

average to somewhat crappy peak

Meaning fog and ice in mid to late Jan.? I agree.

I mean a thaw, with lows in the upper 20s, and highs around 55 in the mountains.

The ice and fog prevails about two thirds of the saeson anyway.
SCWVA
October 3, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
While out riding, I've noticed lots of big acorns. I've heard that means that it will be a cold & snowy winter. Yea!!!

Haven't seen any wooly worms yet.
bawalker
October 3, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I whizzed in the backyard again to kill more poison ivy... and noticed the stuff isn't dying as fast as it was. Hopefully this is a sign for a bad bad winter.
kwillg6
October 3, 2006
2,066 posts
uh, bawalker.... don't you have any indoor plumming or maybe you can't afford to buy some roundup? Besides, what's poison ivy have to do with cold and snow Enlighten me, Please?
bawalker
October 3, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
It's called bawalkers all natural organic weed killer.

I figure the tougher the weeds are, the more resilient they'll be through the winter and reappear next spring. Darn weeds.
Roy
October 4, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I no longer try to predict for fear of angering Ullr. However, my no prediction my anger Ullr. In fact, just typing this may anger Ullr. I'm so confused on what to do.
kwillg6
October 4, 2006
2,066 posts
Perhaps a sacrifice of a sweet young virgin will convince Ullr to open up the gates of winter for snow which will be early and often. What do ya think????
kennedy
October 4, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I tried that last year but she obviously wasn't as much a virgin as she claimed. I think Ullr found out sometime around january and we all know what happened then.
bawalker
October 4, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Just toss her my way, I need a skiing female companion. :P

No that wasn't ullr, that was me experimenting with some 16 way cpu servers up at Timberline and the heat ducks sprung a leak. :P
BushwackerinPA
October 4, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Me and the Maggot worshipped ullr for you this weekend so I wouldnt worry to much.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62781
ScotS244
October 6, 2006
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
Quote:

Me and the Maggot worshipped ullr for you this weekend so I wouldnt worry to much.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62781

Dude! What's up with being the first to pass out? When are you coming back to Sandy?
kennedy
October 6, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Bushwacker's tolerance went down after several months of weak Utah beer. So you're in UT aswell Scott?
BushwackerinPA
October 6, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I will be in sandy in early December, as for passing out first I dont drink that much at all, but well I am party when at one. 10 shots and 6 beer = lights out. Apartently there is video being posted up soon .

IT all good though my tolerance is low cause I ski, bike or autorace and work to pay for this stuff every minute I get.
beer is way to expensive when you buying it.
kennedy
October 6, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
All right those are valid reasons I hereby offer you a free pass.
ScotS244
October 6, 2006
122 posts
Quote:

Bushwacker's tolerance went down after several months of weak Utah beer. So you're in UT aswell Scott?

Yes indeed. Home is less than two miles from the entrance to LCC. It don't suck! Utah beer is indeed weak which is why I've already become a hardened criminal. I'll be heading out for my third bootlegging mission to Evanston, WY soon. The beer fridge must remain stocked and ready for visitors much less my person consumption, which is large.

Bushwacker - that's a decent amount to throw down. Remind me to tell you about the time I destroyed myself on Lev beer, Jim and Jack on the final saturday at Alta this year. Let's just say the stainmaster carpet performed as advertised...

Well, I need to head out to the Hogwallow for a few pitchers of 3.2 with another ex-dcskier. Keep praying for snow out there, we've already had two +10 inch dumps...
ScotS244
October 6, 2006
122 posts
Quote:

I will be in sandy in early December, as for passing out first I dont drink that much at all, but well I am party when at one. 10 shots and 6 beer = lights out. Apartently there is video being posted up soon .

IT all good though my tolerance is low cause I ski, bike or autorace and work to pay for this stuff every minute I get.
beer is way to expensive when you buying it.

Been there bro. You'll have to drop by during the winter, I share my beer and keep this state from getting too damn dry... not on my watch.
BushwackerinPA
October 7, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
tromano
October 7, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Bush u need to go back to college you hven't learned to handle your drink. Licker before beer and you're in the clear. J/K with you. Damn thats a funny video.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 8, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I had first hand reports from Snowshoe (friends were there for the weekend) and they told me that the snow covered the ground. Luv it!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?