TR: White Oak Canyon/Cedar Run
11 posts
7 users
8k+ views
queenoftheslopes
October 1, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
So after years of being a dc ski member, I am posting my first trip report.

Tim and I drove down to Shenendoah National Park for a nice day hike. It rained a little bit in the morning on the drive down so some places on the rocks were a bit slick, but it cleared up and ended up being a great day. We ran into a few people talking about a small brown bear sighting. We did not see th bear, but we did see what we thing was fresh "evidence" of the bear recently being on the trail. My camera lost battery power halfway through he hike, but here are the pictures I managed to take.

Eager hiker(s) ready to go!:

beginning of the trail:

some pics of the lower falls:

Pic of me at the upper falls:
JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 1, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Very nice Your Highness. Got to keep those batteries charged for the dozens of additional TRs I expect in the future.

I was up there in July with a gang of 12 for hiking and swimming in the bigger pools. Almost an annual thing for me. But it was mobbed. Your damp trip provided a lot more solitude and critter spotting opportunities.
SCWVA
October 3, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
WOC is one of my favorite hikes. Every fall the family heads up to the Apple Harvest Festival at Graves Mountain . After hanging out and enjoying all the Bluegrass music, food, hayrides, clogging, etc., we head up to WOC for an afternoon hike. Now a days, we usually only get up to the 2nd set of falls, but the kids love the hike. But the rocks can be pretty treacherous when wet. The Apple Harvest Festival is the weekend of Oct. 14/15 & 21/22.
kwillg6
October 3, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I dread the Graves Festival weekends. We live a mile down Hoover Road from rt 29 and on those days we have a difficult time getting out of our driveway, especially in the late PM when the crowd heads back to the confines of Northern VA. The locals in downtown Reva refer to the fall visitors to Graves and elsewhere along the Natl Park as "leafers." I have to agree though, White Oak canyon is one of my favorite hikes, especially in November/December before the snow flys. Be careful of the slipperyness of the falls. Every year somebody takes a sometimes fatal fall there.
queenoftheslopes
October 3, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Quote:

But the rocks can be pretty treacherous when wet.

I learned that the hard way. With a nice souvenier bruise on my shin. OUCH!
Scott - DCSki Editor
October 3, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Were the trees starting to change? (From the pics it looks like a little color is starting to peak out.) I'm hoping to go to Shenandoah sometime soon and am hoping to get some nice fall shots.
SCWVA
October 3, 2006
1,052 posts
Quote:

We live a mile down Hoover Road from rt 29 and on those days we have a difficult time getting out of our driveway, especially in the late PM when the crowd heads back to the confines of Northern VA.

There seems to be more people from Charlottesville area then from Northern Va. This is based on the number of freaking Wahoo shirts and hats I see at the Festival.
kwillg6
October 3, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
The leaves are still green and on the trees, at least in my yard. The poplar trees and dogwoods are start to turn as are trees that are suffering from the drought (ugly brown). We're another two to three weeks from worthwhile color here in the foothills. As to the freaking wahoo shirts.... this is still part of Virginia. Wahoooooowaaaa!
tromano
October 3, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

Were the trees starting to change? (From the pics it looks like a little color is starting to peak out.) I'm hoping to go to Shenandoah sometime soon and am hoping to get some nice fall shots.

Only a few smaller trees were starting to turn. I assume from drought. I think the big event is 2 weeks away. --Tim

P.S. Madeline loved hiking so much we went the next day to REI and got her some proper boots (she did her 1st WOC hike in asics). We are doing little devil stairs this weekend.
SCWVA
October 4, 2006
1,052 posts
Hey kwillg6,

You live in a beautiful area. You should consider yourself lucky. Do you work around Reva or do you commute to No. Va or Charlottesville? Or maybe you're just independently wealthy!

Have you ever been to Grave's bluegrass festival in the spring? I've never been, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

And yes I'm a Hokie!
Leo
October 4, 2006
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
As a UVA alum who spent lots of his (class) time at White Oak and Old Rag, all I have to say is, how can one hold their head up and wear a Wahoo shirt when our football team plays the way they are this year...I know academics are important, but surely we can recruit some football and basketball players to come live in such a beautiful place and get a good education. Maybe not. Oh well. Wah hoo wah....

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.