27 posts
13 users
8k+ views
wolverine
September 1, 2006
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Thouht this appropiate for DCSki discussion:

Any one of you PA letter writers interested in contacting your PA gov. officials about how DC skiers like me are favoring Wisp over 7S/ HV/ LM because of the rediculous traffic jam at Somerset at the I-70 PA turnpike junction?

Sure Somerset benefits from the forced stop from the interstate, but everywhere else suffers from people being annoyed about this self-serving lack of a proper interchange. I can get on the highway in Virginia and get to Wisp without the hassles, especially for weekend skiing, that you get trying to get to the Highlands with the Breezewood interchange (a minor cross street off the main road seems to get as much time with the green light as the interstate traffic that is forced to get off to this "town of motels")!

Boycott western PA and spend your time at Wisp off scenic I-68!
queenoftheslopes
September 1, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
OR.... take I-68 to 219 North and enjoy a stress free drive through the laurel highlands for a delightful weekend at 7 springs.
queenoftheslopes
September 1, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
OR... take 68 to 219 North and enjoy a stress free drive through the laurel highlands and a fabulous weekend skiing at 7 springs.
tromano
September 1, 2006
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

OR.... take I-68 to 219 North and enjoy a stress free drive through the laurel highlands for a delightful weekend at 7 springs.

This is actually a faster route to 7S than thaking the PA TPK it has the added benefit of being free.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
comprex
September 1, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
The pies
& assorted mudflaps
The lights
of blue tinged excitement
The selection
of diesel
The toothrattle
of speed strips
>sniff<

I know it's nonsense, but it just screams 'skiing' to me.
and,
on the way back,
it's just the
climactic
cathartic
"Goodbye, PA!"
we all really need?
comprex
September 1, 2006
1,326 posts
speaking of 7S, anyone visit glades pike winery?
Edgar
September 1, 2006
Member since 08/28/2006 🔗
33 posts
I've been to Glades Pike Winery and it was a surprisingly good experience. Yes, it is not Napa, but it was nice, friendly, and frankly out of place with the usual low quality PA fare. Of course this would all lead to wine buying, but even with that said I would higly recommend a stop. Not many people there, but apparently they have a banquet room that holds 250+ and they make theit $ on weddings &events....the kind of thing that Hidden Valley used to do.
tromano
September 1, 2006
998 posts
Quote:

speaking of 7S, anyone visit glades pike winery?

Something Tells me YOU DID!!!

Quote:

The pies
& assorted mudflaps
The lights
of blue tinged excitement
The selection
of diesel
The toothrattle
of speed strips
>sniff<

I know it's nonsense, but it just screams 'skiing' to me.
and,
on the way back,
it's just the
climactic
cathartic
"Goodbye, PA!"
we all really need?

comprex
September 1, 2006
1,326 posts

Did you try the Foch or the Riesling, by chance?

Wine buying, save us.
comprex
September 1, 2006
1,326 posts
Sorry to disappoint, t, I've had naught but a long day of coffee bean squeezings.
tromano
September 1, 2006
998 posts
The Reisling was good IIRC. We also tried a sweet red wine that was ok cant remeber what it was though.
comprex
September 1, 2006
1,326 posts

Interesting, I'm not a fan of the Bobsled Red/Big Tattoo style, but they do a Baco Noir, which happens to be the first wine I've had from both Mexico (Baja) and from Western Canada (Okanagan).
RodSmith
September 2, 2006
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Right on, Comprex! It's not clear from the first post whether the problem is Breezewood or Somerset. I'm sure it's possible to avoid both, but why? I love those interchanges. Especially TruckVegas.
SCWVA
September 3, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Quote:

If you don't take the PA Turnpike back to DC, you can't stop at Hoss's in Bedford for some fine dinning.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
September 3, 2006
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Quote:

Boycott western PA and spend your time at Wisp off scenic I-68!

Yes, by all means. Maybe that way I can spend less time waiting in line at the Gunnar Lift at 7S.
comprex
September 3, 2006
1,326 posts
Ah, SCWVA, but if I stop at Hoss's I won't buy half as much at Hepburns:
http://www.hepburns.com/

(which is nicely non-denominational)
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 5, 2006
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
The caramel-walnut apple pie at Weaver's Bakery and Restuarant in 'downtown' Hancock is to die for. The best pie I have ever eaten, bar none.

The Arena Restuarant at the PA Turnpike Bedford exit is not bad. Salad bar with all you can eat shrimp, a folksy guy playing guitar and singing in the bar. And cheap prime rib. Not bad.

The best PA winery in the Laurel Mountains is the Stone Villa Winery. Great setting on a small lake, free concerts and the best red wine that I have tried from a PA winery.

If you don't like the traffic at the Breezewood exit, try taking I-83 from the Baltimore Beltway to Harrisburg and then take the PA turnpike to Somerset. No traffic jams, even on Friday night.
GGNagy
September 6, 2006
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
You could also take I68 to US 40 up on top of the ridge, as if you were going to wisp, then take US 40 west and up through confluence the back way. This way, you can also stop at Glisans family restraunt for some MORE pie.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm PIE
September 6, 2006
1,576 posts
Where is Glisans?? More pie.....
kennedy
September 6, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I've never encountered traffic jams on the way to 7 Springs and I use the turnpike all the way although I've toyed with the idea of going up to Cumberland via 68 and then heading north from there bu I'm always wary that the roads will be in bad shape especially if it's snowing.

BTW the Oakhurst Tearoom smorgasbord. AWESOME!! We went there once when we were staying in Somerset and driving to 7 Springs one morning. Homemade cakes and stuff, great.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 6, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Puccini's (the old Uncle Tuckers) just before Cumberland on I-68. They feature two for one wood fired pizzas on Tuesday. Awesome.....
tromano
September 6, 2006
998 posts
Quote:

Puccini's (the old Uncle Tuckers) just before Cumberland on I-68. They feature two for one wood fired pizzas on Tuesday. Awesome.....

very true. Tuckers shut down for about a year but the new veresion puccini's opened last winter. Its a great place to stop for dinner on a friday night. --Tim
September 6, 2006
1,576 posts
If you like authentic German food, try the Schmankerl Stube in Hagerstown. Excellent! and a awesome beer selection. Not far off I-70 on the way to Whitetail or any place west of here.

For great wood fired pizza on the way to 7Springs, try the Italian Oven on Route 31. A wood fire pizza, salad with pesto ranch dressing and a frosted glass of Yuengling! Ah yes!

For an expensive meal in a beautiful setting try:

Leslie's Mountain View Inn - about 5 miles west of Hidden Valley off Route 31. Outstanding food in a beautiful setting.

Inn at Georgian Place - try the locally grown ostrich. It's like the best fillet mignon you've ever had.

Green Gables - in Jennerstown. One of the most unique settings you'll ever eat in. The roof in the ballroom is held up by 4 - 400 year oak trees. The dinning room is also very unique. Attached to the restuarant is the Mountain Playhouse - the oldest continuously operating theatre in the U.S. Excellent quality food and plays. Not to be missed.

For moderate dinning try:

Riverside Cafe - Confluence. Sit on the porch and watch the fly fisherman on the Youghegany (spelling?). Very good food.

JP's - in Somerset. Try the greek salad. Awesome. and the seafood is excellent

The Pine Grill - in Somerset. Decent food at a decent price.

The Laurel Mountain Inn - try the prime rib.

We need fuel our bodies for skiing, thus eating well goes with skiing well!!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 6, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
This is excellent info Snowsmith!!!! Maybe Scott will post some of these restaurant ideas in the Q&A section. I'm always looking for alternatives to McDonalds....Somerset is where most of us stay when we go to 7S, so I like those suggestions. Also, Confluence is on the bike trail for people looking for biking fuel.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 6, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
The restaurant guide is neat idea, although input is highly personal and highly perishable (pun intended), restaurants notoriously short lived businesses. Here's a few I like that I think are still in business:
Bavarian Chef, Madison, VA, near mass/wintergreen/homestead, superb bavarian food
Elliot's, Hot Sprgs, VA, near homestead, neat little fine dining experience for reasonable price
Siriani's, Davis, WV cv/tline, good pizza
Park N Dine, Hancock, MD, near wisp/bk/7spr/hv/laurel, used to be pretty good quality "diner" food and very affordable
Red Horse steak house, Frederick, MD, near lib/rt/wt, good red meat
Chubby's BBQ, Emmitsburg, MD, real near lib, good bbq.
comprex
September 6, 2006
1,326 posts

A ski trip drive-past PA beer distributor guide.
September 6, 2006
1,576 posts
JimK - I thought the Red Horse was in Hagerstown on US 40, although I could be confusing it with another restuarant.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.