4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
May 28, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Hi everyone,

From time to time, DCSki readers will come across an interesting news article in a publication, and will reference the article here in the DCSki Forums. This helps keep us all in the know and is quite useful.

However, I must ask that the raw contents of external articles not be copied and pasted into the DCSki Forums. News articles are usually copyrighted and can't be redistributed in this manner without prior permission from the copyright holder.

When you come across an interesting article, please instead post a hyperlink directly to the original source of the article. You can provide a brief summary of the article, and even very small excerpts are OK, as long as the article is properly credited. But please refrain from copying and pasting the raw article.

I will be keeping an eye out for posts that contain copyrighted content, and will edit posts as necessary. If you have any questions about this please let me know.
comprex
May 30, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
'small excerpts':= no images?
Scott - DCSki Editor
May 30, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Quote:

'small excerpts':= no images?

If the images are hosted on some other server and protected by a copyright, the appropriate thing to do would be to include a hyperlink to the full page on the other server that includes the photo, rather than embedding the photo alone in the body of a forum posting here. This respects the copyright.

Here's one way to look at it: let's assume there's a publication named Publication Today that includes a cool skier photo on their web site, publicationtoday.com. That photo is copyrighted by a photographer working for Publication Today, and Publication Today shows ads on their web site. The ads help finance both the publicationtoday.com server, as well as the photographer.

If the image is directly referenced from another web site (such as DCSki), then Publication Today does not get the benefit of showing the image in their own context; not only that, but their server still has to service the image request, so their server resources are still used. And it's unlikely the photographer will receive credit.

Hopefully this example makes sense. I want to make sure DCSki is respecting the copyright of other content owners, and this includes encouraging DCSki readers to do the same in their forum postings.

I encourage people to link to other sites that include compelling content (be it news articles, photos, etc.); just use caution to avoid embedding copyrighted content directly into DCSki Message Forum pages. It might mean an extra click for folks, but the original copyright holders deserve the page view.
Clay
May 31, 2006
Member since 04/11/2006 🔗
555 posts
Here, here. Coincidentialy, I led the technical team that launched a website that is very (very) similar in name to publicationtoday.com in 1995. The bigget problem we had from a revenue standpoint was people "lifting" stories and graphics. A BIG drain on ad revenue. On a lot of these news sites ad revenue is derived from views not click throughs like on pop up ads.

Thanks for running a responsible website Scott. It's a pleasure to be a member here.

Clay
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.