Tline Upgrades for 2007?
13 posts
7 users
2k+ views
SCWVA
April 3, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
We received a Boy Scout magazine today and on the rear cover was an ad for Timberline. It had the following:

Quote:

Exciting changes for the 2007 ski season:
- An addition to our slopeside onsite Sitz Mark Village.
- A new lift to our terrain park for snowboarding enthusiasts.
- Focus on Safety through our Skiing 101 program, which enables us to attend roundtable meetings to discuss safety and first aid on the slopes.

Upgrades are always good, but part of me wants to say something sarcastic, but I'll leave that up to everyone else.
bawalker
April 4, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Which terrain park, Lower Dew Drop? Cause that seems awful short to have a lift, but then again the bunny hill has that wooden two seater. Gosh I loved that thing cause I grew up on it. heh. Or would this mean a T bar, J bar, Handle tow, or what?

Would this mean more terrain features now because of increased traffic over there?
bawalker
April 4, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Now if there could be a lift at the bottom of Off the Wall or some sort of midstation and above lift servicing the Drop or other areas. It'd be nice to just ride down that and back up instead of going all the way down past the lodge once again on what seems like the other side of the mountain at that point.

Ok I'm just dreaming now.
Rich
April 4, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
The new lift at Snowshoe is $3.5 million. Don't think T-line has that kinda' money - hell, does anyone remember the mad Dr. busing tables to save on hiring a busboy? Or scavenging parts off of one groomer just to keep the other running? New lift - maybe a rope-tow! LOL T-line is firmly positioned and sent out forwarding address cards to the edge of bankruptcy (for years).
RidelikeaRhino
April 4, 2006
Member since 01/31/2006 🔗
42 posts
Sarcasm asside. I took a group of scouts down there this winter. For an adult, this is maddness in motion but the kids loved it. They have been beating on me and everyone else to do it again. (I know bad news for all the normal folks). From what I can see, it's a big revenue generator for the resort. I like it cause I can ski some good terrain and help with the kids. The safety thing is huge though. The ski patrol guy told me 80% of the ride off the hill are scouts. If that isn't enough one of my own kids that had finally made a standing run down Salamander tells me he snuck off to "almost hevan" while the rest of us ate lunch. Nice.
bawalker
April 4, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Isn't kinda pointless to install more than just a ropetow for the Lower DewDrop terrain area? I mean the trail itself isn't that long and it's a straight shot from the bottom to the top. Unless Timberline plans on having a lift like that service Winterset Spur along with this or any other mid station to bottom trails, it's almost pointless and not cost affective to have it.

Although I'm curious to see their exact plans tho.
Roger Z
April 4, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Rest assured that if it was Snowshoe ran Timberline Brad, you'd have:

a) a six pack lift going to the top of Dew Drop Terrain Park;

b) no terrain above the old mid-station, because there just isn't any market demand for steep fall line skiing in the Mid-Atlantic; and

c) Rich telling us about how awesome it is to ride a 10 million dollar chair 300 vertical feet to ski a novice slope.
kennedy
April 4, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Thats pretty funny Don't forget you'd also have to wait 30 minutes to ride such a lift.
bawalker
April 4, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Ah yes, the joys of commercialized skiing to the nth degree.

I guess if it was Snowshoe running Timberline we'd also have a 400' long 25' high superpipe coming down a cleared out Pearly Glades?
Roger Z
April 4, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
No, they'd buy Whitegrass and convert IT into a terrain park.

Sorry I forgot about the 30 minute lines Kennedy...
bawalker
April 4, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
The better put a bus in then. :P

Off topic... it's my 800th post!
kennedy
April 5, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Congrats
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
April 5, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
800? dude!

The secret tline plan is to put in a double chair to the mid-station and then just run the orange chair alot faster - that thing creeeeeps . That would help both the lower mountain novice skiers and riders, and the upper mountain skiers. I'm not bold enough to hope for a high speed quad or something, though they could reuse those orange chairs to replace those 2.25-person wide chairs on silver queen.

however, tline does seem like the kind of place that should have a couple of old surface lifts (and waiting ambulances)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.