Spring skiing choices and Mont St. Anne?
5 posts
3 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 24, 2000
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Anybody ever ski this mtn north of Quebec City, Canada? I'm especially curious about whether it would be any good for late spring skiing at Eastertime this or next year. Thoughts on other northeastern late spring ski choices would also be of interest.
Jim
February 24, 2000
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Jim,

Mont Sainte Anne's is a beautiful resort north of Quebec. There is a gondola servicing the base area to the top as well as several chair lifts and the skiing is just wonderful. The resort has a front and back side. Most of the expert runs are to the right of the front side as you face the mountain. Vertical drop is over 2,000 ft (compare to Liberty at 650 and Whitetail at 900). Very friendly staff, tons of terrain, (highest elevation night skiing in Canada) and a snowboard park that is the dream of every shredder out there, you couldn't pick a nice place in Canada (at least on this side of the Rockies).

I've been their twice (although the second time was with my girlfriend - now wife - and we didn't ski much!). When I have gone, its been in January and the weather is COLD!! I mean single digit cold, not this wimpy upper 20's cold we barely get around here. Can't say much about spring skiing - I understand its quite nice.

For accomodations, stay in Quebec City. Beautiful old European charm and tons of great restaurants and sites. The mountain is only 40 minutes north on major Provincial Highways.

Have fun - wish I could go!!

Another Jim.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 26, 2000
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Thanks for excellent feedback Jim. You have to drive past a lot of good US ski areas to get there so I'm sort of surprised someone from our area had been there not once, but twice. I find it hard to believe they'll have much skiing in late Apr, but I'll be following things on the web and may go up if they still have a fair amount open. My kids have a week and a half off from school then and that's my motivation. I hear old Quebec City is pretty scenic and the setting of Mont St. Anne on the seaway is unusual. Isn't there a sizeable waterfall up near there? I'll be tracking spring conditions at Killington too.
(Anonymous)
March 9, 2000
Appears that Quebec province suffered a bit
of a thaw, that should end tomorrow. Driving
to Mont St. Anne from Quebec City you pass
Montmorency Falls and the church at Beaupre.
There is a hotel and condos slopeside, with
at least 3 restaurants near the slopes. But
certainly a trip to the city is worth it.

Another candidate is Montreal, with Tremblant,
Gray Rocks, Mont Blanc an hour away, small
resorts of St. Sauveur and St. Adele even closer.

(Anonymous)
January 18, 2001
Quebec info at this thread

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.