Rant - Snow today ! ? - PANIC...
13 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Eug
March 21, 2006
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Nothing about skiing here in this post. Just an observation about one of my co-workers...

This lady that I work with decided not to come to work today because she did not want to drive in snowy conditions. I mean, she was already wigging out last night about the possibility (key word: possibility) of snow.

Go figure...?
Rich
March 21, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
Hope that was vacation leave she had to take. Though, I think schools are letting out at 2:00.
kennedy
March 21, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Yep 'cos it's dumping here in Fairfax. . I can't get away with that crap where I work. If I call in and say I can't make it because of snow it better mean I can even walk out my door. The only time I was genuinely snowed in was the Presidents day storm. I was driving a crappy Mitsubishi Galant at the time and that thing sucked in the snow.
jimmy
March 21, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Eug i think you're on to something here. What an excuse on the day before a powder day..... "hey boss, cannot come into work tomorrow, can't drive in snowy conditions, heard it might snow fkfddfkskfb etc" Call placed from somewhere on The Snow Highway, US219.
kennedy
March 21, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Better yet place it from the lift.

OOOhh look at that 500th post. Woohoo. Halfway to the glory of 1000 posts.
SCWVA
March 21, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'm leaving early today, so I can abandon my car on the beltway. The roads are already getting bad out here in the burbs.;)

If I show up to work on a snow day, I get a weird look like, what are you doing here? People at my office just assume I went skiing if I don't show up by 8am on a snow day.

President's Day 2003, I called my office on Saturday am to let them know I was going to be snowed in and wouldn't be in on Monday. That was a good 36hrs before it even started snowing here in DC. The plan worked perfectly. It was an epic weekend, the Valley got betwen 40-50" of snow. Tline didn't open until 12:30 on Monday because of all the snow.
twin58
March 22, 2006
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
I went outside at 11:55 last night when I saw that it was snowing. There was a fine powder coming down. It was so lovely. I may not be able to experience that again for another nine months.
kennedy
March 22, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Had a dusting of snow on the car today. Considered breaking out the chains but figured the bits of wire poking through the tread would do the same thing.
jimmy
March 22, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Not to worry about bald tyres, now that you've joined the 500 post club, a nice new DCSki Nissan Xterra with winter tires is on it's way to you. Roger, tell Mr. Kennedy what else he's won!!!

Dusting here today too, good thing it's cold out so all the milk i bought at the market won't get warm.

Ski season not over til they turn the lifts off.
kennedy
March 22, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Woohoo! Will there be dancing girls?
Eug
March 22, 2006
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Just wanted to give you'all an update.

Even though we had inclement snowy white out conditions last night and early this morning, this co-worker was able to drive in to work and arrive safely. There was no need for her to use her sleeping bag (while in the car) or deplete her emergency rations of toilet paper, milk and/or bread.

All is well.

skier219
March 22, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
That reminds me -- when I first moved down to VA in 1991, after growing up in New England. First minor 1" snowstorm that hit, roads were only wet but people were driving 2 mph and I was like ??? Then I headed over to the grocery store for a routine shopping trip, and the place was a mob. All the bread, milk, water, etc... was gone. I waited in line for about 20 minutes just to buy a box of pop tarts and some soup (grad student back then) while the rest of the town was stocking up on rations. That was a real shocker experience.

We ended up getting about 2" of snow in Williamsburg last night. Snowed solid from 11pm to about 1am. Never stuck to the roads, but everything else looked nice and snowy until it started melting this morning. Further down on the Peninsula, there was just a dusting or no snow.
Roger Z
March 22, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Well, Jimmy and I were gonna dance for you, but since you're so PICKY... guess we'll just have to send you a half-used bottle of Mad Dog instead (since you're only halfway there, you can't get the full bottle yet)!

Wait until you see the chaos that occurs at the 1000 marker. Curious about what it is? Let's put it this way- seven people have actually posted more than 1000 posts. Only three of us have survived the celebration. But for the other four... what a way to die...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.