Ski Resort Cell Phones
12 posts
10 users
4k+ views
Roy
March 13, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
First let me say, I am not the person on the chair using a cell phone. I want to push those people off the chair.

That being said, I need a cell phone service that works at resorts. I have Cingular and I know it does not work at Liberty or Snowshoe. I want to switch services that will work at these places.

What cell service do you have that works at these resorts and other places (Timberline, Blue Knob, all the out of the way places)
kennedy
March 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I have Verizon which I believe works well at Whitetail and into 7 Springs coverage is very limited at Snowshoe but every cellphone is limited up there.
bawalker
March 13, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Canaan Valley - Cingular 3-5 bars
Timberline - Cingular 3-5 bars
Wisp - Cingular 4-5 bars, Sprint 5 bars
Jim
March 13, 2006
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Cell coverage at Liberty depends on which side of the resort you are on. In the front side, no cell service is available, regardless of provider. That's because no cell tower exists in that area. Rumors abound as to why - everything from proximity to the underground Pentagon or Camp David to simple lack of funding from anyone willing to put up a tower. The backside is a different story. Because the "back" side of Liberty actually faces Route 15, which is more like a highway than rural route, you get excellent coverage at the top. With Verizon, I get a full signal at the top facing the back.
David
March 13, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Gooluck getting service up at Snowshoe with any carrier.
rmcva
March 13, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
No luck with Verizon or Cingular at Top of the World or Silver Creek.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have Cingular full GSM service (vice AT&T/Cingular limited GSM service). Although the signal was sometimes spotty or simply not available, I got 3+ bars frequently, especially at the Western side of Allegheny Lodge. Also enjoyed good service at 7 Springs in Jan.:)
The Colonel
TennesseeSkier
March 14, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
We were just up at Snowshoe this past weekend. I have a Cingular GSM phone, (Motorola V551), and got 3-4 bars around Expedition Station/Skidder Slope. We stayed at Alleghney Springs, on the east side, first floor, and didnt have a signal. Had really good luck though in the Village from about Expedition Station, up to Rimfire. Hope this info might help you out....
Roy
March 16, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I have Cingular GSM but I get nothing at snowshoe. Maybe I just have a cheap phone (which it is a cheap phone with absolutely no bells and whistles).

Thanks for all the replies.
Rich
March 16, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
I have Cingular Wireless, owner/occupant in The Summit and it works fine. Some guests cell phones don't work at all...seems to go by brand of service!
rmcva
March 26, 2006
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Cell phone signal update: This weekend at Snowshoe, for the first time, I had 4 to 5 bars on my Blackberry from the first turnoff past Silver Creek, thru the village, and all the way to Top of the World. I was able to make calls, web browse, email, etc. My BB is using Cingular.

However one other note - not sure why, but when I first get in WV, I get the message no data network available on my BB, but once I power-off then back on it finds the network and works fine. Then when coming back into NoVA, I don't have to reset and all works fine, its only when going into WV. Anyone who's having data problems may want to try a power-off/power-on. It now works!

By the way - both Snowshoe and T-Line were great this weekend. It snowed nearly all day at both places and trails were in very good shape!
BushwackerinPA
March 28, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Verizon User here.

I have been able to get service at every resorts I have been too around here. Snowhoe was alittle iffy but that was 2 years ago already. Blue Knob not at the bottom but very good at the top. Every other place, Wisp,Hidden Valley, Seven Springs, Laurel Mountain(when is was open) and Timberline had great service.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.