White Grass To Open Today, 29 November
11 posts
5 users
2k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 29, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I just got word in from owner Chip Chase that White Grass will be opening 5K of Nordic terrain sometime today once he can groom his snow farm. Fences on that farm picked up a 2 foot base overnight.

For the latest on the status of White Grass:

http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

finsoutoc
November 29, 2003
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
any word on 7 springs? it looks from their cams that they are getting hammered but no word of opening.
November 29, 2003
1,986 posts
I would call 7 Springs. But if you are in the CV, I think your best bet is White Grass. It's close and it will be fun just to get out on the snow. I would be there if I were not stuck in DC for the weekend.
Chad
November 29, 2003
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
yeah what is the deal with 7springs? they seem to be keeping their opening date a big secret? no conditions info, snowmaking, anything, on their website?
finsoutoc
November 29, 2003
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
per springs, they are not opeing this weekend but plan on opening for the weekend of the 6th.
(Anonymous)
November 29, 2003
Whitegrass was indeed open today. Conditions were good. It was great to get those first turns out of the way for the season.
November 30, 2003
1,986 posts
Things are even better today:

"28 at dawn with 6-8 inches new snow everywhere and it is a holiday Sunday in November...yeehaw!

Open Today: 50 km with caution and take a whitegrasser that knows the micro lines to stay dry and rockless

Groomed: we rolled about all our trails and there is a solid 2"-3" cover there

Snowfarm: Super ultra deep, thick, white and being groomed right now"

For more:

November 30, 2003
1,986 posts
Things are even better today:

"28 at dawn with 6-8 inches new snow everywhere and it is a holiday Sunday in November...yeehaw!

Open Today: 50 km with caution and take a whitegrasser that knows the micro lines to stay dry and rockless

Groomed: we rolled about all our trails and there is a solid 2"-3" cover there

Snowfarm: Super ultra deep, thick, white and being groomed right now"

For more:

(Anonymous)
November 30, 2003
The nat weather svc obs have canaan vly as of 830 am sun morn having a 9 inch snow cover.Maybe an inch or 2 has blown down from the surrounding mtns with all the wind!They also measure what has actually fallen & chip measures the settled amount he sees in the morn.
jonjon
December 1, 2003
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
There is a big difference between what falls and how much is on the ground. I measured 9.2" in Davis from the storm. But I only allow a couple of inches to fall in my snow guage before I empty it so as to not allow settling from the weight of the snow to set in and taint the measurement of the actual amount of snow that has fallen from the sky.
(Anonymous)
December 1, 2003
Do you live in davis jonjon? I used to know a jon dix that lived there.He worked at timberline

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?