Questions re: Wisp Season passes
12 posts
5 users
3k+ views
GaryEsq
February 23, 2006
Member since 12/20/2005 🔗
54 posts
Im a long time SS pass holder, and just bought a place at Wisp (close mid March). Season passes are much more expensive

My question though is: (1) does Wisp have any different level of prices like SS does (cheapest in June, cheaper in July, the full price in September and (2) at the end of the season do they have a deal like SS does where you can buy a pass for next yr (06-07) and ski on it the rest of this season?

Couldnt find anything on the website, so Im assuming no to both, but wanted to ask
David
February 23, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I know for sure that you can get a season pass for a heavily discounted price if you buy them as early as possible. The cut-off date for the best discounts are usually around Oct. sometime. I do not know what kind of discounts they offer when buying passes right after ski season is over.
tommo
February 23, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Hopefully it will be a great ski and summer base for years to come.

Most years, Wisp offers Season passes in starting in mid march for the next year and includes the remainder of the current year. However, the rates drop significantly in late season, so that may not be a big deal.

Beyond that, they typically put season passes on sale in late august or very early september and they are all 15% off if purchased before Oct. 1. They offer many levels, including the Off Peak pass which is probably the best deal for adults. For kids, the Student Pass is an unbeatable deal, with a break even point of just 3 weekend/holiday days. For the full adult pass, break even is more like 8 weekend/holiday days. So, you have to balance that cost against how many weekends/holidays you'll want to ski compared with how many early/late season days, wednesdays, and other reduced price days that are available throughout the season.
GaryEsq
February 23, 2006
54 posts
Quote:

Congratulations on your purchase! Hopefully it will be a great ski and summer base for years to come.

Most years, Wisp offers Season passes in starting in mid march for the next year and includes the remainder of the current year. However, the rates drop significantly in late season, so that may not be a big deal.

Beyond that, they typically put season passes on sale in late august or very early september and they are all 15% off if purchased before Oct. 1. They offer many levels, including the Off Peak pass which is probably the best deal for adults. For kids, the Student Pass is an unbeatable deal, with a break even point of just 3 weekend/holiday days. For the full adult pass, break even is more like 8 weekend/holiday days. So, you have to balance that cost against how many weekends/holidays you'll want to ski compared with how many early/late season days, wednesdays, and other reduced price days that are available throughout the season.

Great thanks for the quick response guys. This will be strictly a weekend place (at least until I find a way to work closer to DCL) so Im probably looking at the full adult pass, as I will be skiing/snowboarding pretty much every day Im there That said, I'll jump on any deal I can.
SCWVA
March 1, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Do you have any 4th graders in your family?

MD, PA, NY...resorts are offering "4th Graders ski for free" promotion. We went to WISP on Feb. 11-13 and went to take them up on the free lift ticket. Much to my surprise they told me to bring her to the customer service office and they would give her a free season pass. So my 9 year old daughter now has a season pass with her picture on it.

I think this is totally unfair, I've been waiting for a season pass for 40yrs. I think they should offer "40+ year olds get to ski for free" promotion.
tommo
March 1, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
My nephew also took advantage of this. I believe they have to have all B's or better on their report card, and, if so, Wisp will indeed give them a free season pass!! Oh to be 9 years old...

Wisp has had this program for several years and hopefully they will continue it in 2007. It's great for families and bring new kids into snowsports every year.
GaryEsq
March 1, 2006
54 posts
That is a cool program...Im 25 and w/o children (that i know of ).

I am suprised at the prices though....compared to SS, you get a hell of a lot more of a resort for the some $200 cheaper SS pass...but everything is more expensive in DCL i guess
bawalker
March 1, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'm 27, without kids, without a fiance, without a wife, without a girlfriend. Oddly enough it seems that snowsports drives the women away in droves. Go figure. lol I took advantage of Wisp's Get onBoard pass so that you get a full season pass after taking just 3 ski lessons.
David
March 1, 2006
2,444 posts
Does the get on board pass work for beginner snowboarders? I am a skier but since they are asking for "legitimate" beginners then I could tough out 3 days of boarding for a $269 season pass. After the lessons I could just ski the rest of the visits. Is this to good to be true?

By the way...Snowsports are so much better than women. IMO
bawalker
March 1, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
True, but when you can have a woman and snowsports, but best of all, a woman who LIKES snowsports... it's at that point life is grand.

To answer your Wisp GetOnBoard pass, yes you can be a previous skiier/boarder and get this pass. I myself am a dedicated boarder so instead of trying to fake being a beginner boarder, I took skiing lessons. Basically put you go into the customer service desk, fill out the paper, pay the $269 and you are given a rental voucher for the day, a lesson voucher for the day, and a regular lift ticket. You then (but don't have to) rent equipment, show up for a lesson, and then after the lesson go back to skiing normally. Do that either three times in a day, or in three different days. Then go back into the customer service office, let them know you have completed the lessons and they will take your picture and give you a fully unlimited pass.

Simple as that.
David
March 2, 2006
2,444 posts
I never really thought of it like that. (at the time atleast) I am always hoping to run across a beautiful ski bunny. Especially one that has no problem moving west and supporting her husband as he lives out his wildest dream and does nothing but ski everday!!! Ok maybe a little far-fetched but I think you get the point.

Thanks for the pass info!! I hope they offer the same program next year. If so I will Definitely be trying out some snowboarding next year. I am excited already.
bawalker
March 2, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Now if I just had that type of ski/board/snow loving woman.

Hey Scott, can we start a DCSkisingles.com site? lol

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?