Timberline update 2/19 - Off the Wall Groomed
25 posts
15 users
8k+ views
tgd
February 19, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
That's right. Flat as a pancake. Not sure why but it has happened.

Tom
Bumps
February 19, 2006
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
WOW
David
February 19, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I was up there this past week and it was pretty rough. I imagine people were getting hurt or stuck on it. It still sucks that the did that though. I loved it.
JCHobbes
February 19, 2006
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
Anyone care to clue me in to the secret of Off The Wall?

I hear so much about it, both here, and from anyone I talk to who's ever been to Timberline, but no one is ever very descriptive about it.

I consider myself a very strong, and capable skier, but the last time I was at Timberline, I was scared off by the signs at the top of the run. And there's really no way to survey the trail and see what it's about unless your actually on it.

So what is it?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
john84
February 19, 2006
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
The part that you can see from the entrance is very flat and it continues like that for a while and then fairly suddenly drops off. Much steeper than any of the other trails at T-Line that I've skiied (haven't skiied the drop yet).
Tucker
February 20, 2006
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
No one was getting hurt on Off the Wall; actually; there have been fewer incidents on Off the Wall then any other trail on the mountain. No one I know, the people who ski and ride it everyday, really knows why it was flattened out. All I know is that last week it was the best trail on the mountain and it would have been even better to ride those big whales and bumps in March during spring conditions; hopefully they will let it bump up again(unfortunately it won't be the same). Hopefully they will let something bump up. Ideally I would like to see green, blue, and black bump runs on the mountain. So skiers and boarders could learn to progress and learn bump skiing and riding skills on comfortable terrain.

The people making these decisions at timberline aren't skiers or boarders...so if you all would like to see more bumps the only way they will know is if you all let Timberline know that yes skiers and boarders do infact enjoy bumps, terrain variation, and yes even powder.

In my opinion OTW was becoming one of timberlines signature trails and was one of the best bump runs in the south. It was challenging but I've been riding it switch all year, have been using it as a training tool for staff, have watched the timberline snowboard team (9-17 yr olds) rip it up and have a blast, and have watched countless intermediate/expert skiers smiling and laughing as they ski or ride down it.

Now there are no bumps at timberline and to me that is a travesty. Are there any other resorts in the mid-atlantic that don't have bump runs right now?
Kris
February 20, 2006
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
I didnt get to go on it, it was closed, but Gravity at CV usually has whales on it and when i was there saturday, i looks pretty flat from what i could see from the lift. very grassy as well. almost like a natural snow trail now.
kwillg6
February 20, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Here's the scoop that I got from those who should know. It was groomed....
This is how this event should be posted:

OBITUARIES:
T-LINE WHALES PASSED PEACEFULLY ON 2-18-1006 OF UNNATURAL CAUSES. THEY HAD BEEN CREATED ON OR ABOUT 12-16-2005 FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF ALL ADVANCED SKIERS IN THE MID-ATLANTIC. THE WHALES ARE SURVIVED BY A ROLLING SURFACE OF PACKED POWDER WHICH RUNS FROM TREELINE TO TREELINE OVER THE WIDTH OF THE TRAIL. MEMORIAL CONTRIBUTIONS ARE NOT SOLICITED AT THIS TIME DUE TO THE POTENTIAL REBIRTH OF A SECOND GENERATION OF WHALES IN THE NEAR FUTURE. R.I.P.

I understand that the trail will be allowed to bump up and should give a quality skiing experience to OTW once again.
kwillg6
February 20, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Also, I understood that by grooming it and spreading that base out, it would do away with the bare spots which were forming in the troughs on oposite sides of the steepest part near the whales. It also gets rid of the boiler-plate on the downhill side of the now deseased whales which wouldn't hold new snow (like shays) I hope the bumps are back by Saturday.
RidelikeaRhino
February 20, 2006
Member since 01/31/2006 🔗
42 posts
I was on this run just before the snow returned. I think it was simply a matter of starting over. The whales weren't being cut well so the bumps were not forming well.. With the rain and then the heavy freeze. I'm thinking they just decided Do over...probably a really good move.
TerpSKI
February 20, 2006
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Excellent. Maybe now it will turn into a real bump run instead of a cartoon.
jimmy
February 20, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Anyone care to clue me in to the secret of Off The Wall?

I hear so much about it, both here, and from anyone I talk to who's ever been to Timberline, but no one is ever very descriptive about it.

I consider myself a very strong, and capable skier, but the last time I was at Timberline, I was scared off by the signs at the top of the run. And there's really no way to survey the trail and see what it's about unless your actually on it.

So what is it?

JCHobbes, No secrets really. Ski it once and if it's good, ski it again. Some days i'll ski it once and just move on, some days it's so good i have to go back and back for more. I'm no great skier just ok for an old man, but if you're comfortable skiing bumps, crud, sideslipping, making turns like you're in a narrow half pipe and not always having your skis in contact with the snow, all in the same run, you can ski it just fine. Then it gets really steep. There is no line, unless you just ski the bumps down the right side. Towards the bottom the easy way out is across the whales and down skiers left.

Play around on the run in, get a feel for how the snow is. Skiers right is a long steep narrow bump run, left turns can trap you on a whale back, don't be afraid to explore the left side of the whales. Hard conditions can make me stop and wish i was somewhere else but when they're good, with a little imagination i can link turns top to bottom.

That's the secret, use your imagination and reach down the hill with u pole. Once you ski OTW, bumps are boring.

I agree Tucker, that OTW is and the drop if left to bump up could be Tlines signature trails and two of the best "expert" runs in the mid atlantic. Keep your chin up Tucker, once in a while they know what they're doing down there. Hopefully they'll blow some more whales. See ya
Bumps
February 20, 2006
538 posts
Speaks for itself (from last year sometime)

tgd
February 20, 2006
585 posts
Didn't know they'd groomed the Drop as well. Last weekend with all the snow it was starting to bump up nicely - the Drop was starting to get back to its double black status. Did not get to ski it or OTW this weekend. Can't see them having the opportunity or motivation to blow new whales this late in the year. Oh well, had a taste and was getting the appetite. Next year.
canaanman
February 21, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
First photo... faaaar-right side.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 21, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I have to admit that T-line groomed too much terrain this weekend. When groomed, OTW skied like a blue square--not much fun.... The resort needs to allow at least one of their double blacks to bump up.
Bumps
February 21, 2006
538 posts
ok.ok. I'll fix it.
JohnL
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
www.photobucket.com

You can provide thumnail pix without effin up the display margins, and users can click on the pix for somewhat higher resolution displays in a new window. I think Pagamony hooked me up with the site.
JohnL
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Ski down Salamander. The toughest part of OTW (the bottom face) is visible from the cluster corner. If you think you can ski it, go fer it. If you have doubts, go for it. If you think no way I want to do that, then bail.

Life is pretty simple. When in doubt, don't fall. If you do fall, blame the snow snakes or your ski tune. Hopefully not at your funeral. If you do have a funeral, make sure you have a will. If you don't have a will, leave plenty of cold beer in the fridge for an Irish Wake. If you don't have enough beer, well, don't fall....
canaanman
February 21, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Oh and, as you wind down Salamander going about your clueless way
Look to your left and don't forget to stop and "pray".
SCWVA
March 3, 2006
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I'm thinking of heading up to the Valley for the Snowy Luau. Has anyone skied OTW or The Drop this week? Are they bumped up or are there any whales?

Hopefully they don't groom them between now and next weekend.
tgd
March 3, 2006
585 posts
I'd count on them being groomed - seems to be the rule at timberline lately. Check out last report from mr jimmy:

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=24247&an=0&page=1#24247
jimmy
March 3, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
scwva, I was there Tuesday, they seem to be grooming both. The drop bumped up a bit through the day and the groomers are leaving rollers, training whales i'll call them on OTW. WHY TIMBERLINE CONTINUES TO GROOM EXPERT TERRAIN IS BEYOND ME, but it was still great fun! Hope to see you at the Luau .

But now that i read tgd's post above i guess you already knew this .
TerpSKI
March 3, 2006
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Quote:

WHY TIMBERLINE CONTINUES TO GROOM EXPERT TERRAIN IS BEYOND ME

I agree but with caveat that SOME OCCASIONAL grooming is necessary to "reset" the bumps.

Looking good for the weekend! Got 3" overnight and maybe more today.
canaanman
March 4, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
With the current freeze/thaw cycles going on, it's a good thing they are churning up the rock-solid morning snow. Nothing is worse than conditions poor enough you have to wait until after lunch.

I'm still disappointed... I've always dreamed of making the upper part of OTW a sweet mogul field, then turn the roller towards the bottom into a medium-sized "cliff" and build up a big quarter pipe on the right-hand corner at the bottom, grooming between the landing of the "cliff" and the QP.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.