a Whitetail Holiday?
12 posts
10 users
1k+ views
camp
February 16, 2006
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
I'm considering doing something, willingly, that I haven't done in 15 years,.... going to a lift area like Whitetail on one of the big holiday weekends. I don't have all day for a trip to WV, and the season is closing fast so...gotta do..

Any guess on how bad the crowds might be from opening to around noon on Saturday? Are the hordes there by then?

Any word on conditions this week?
thanks
Swimmer
February 16, 2006
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
I think the survival plan for Whitetail would be to be there for first chair. Seems DC skiers don't like to get out of bed early.

I understand that not everyone can get on the road early but it may be your best attack.

I am going to play the fool and go on Sunday for the tele clinic. I wish they scheduled it for a non holiday but such is life.

Steve

steve
camp
February 16, 2006
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
I was hoping to make that tele clinic too, but Sat. is my best option this weekend. I can do early, maybe even early enough to skin up for a run up the far side.

In talking with Brian and Delaine in December, I don't think they planned for it to be on a holiday. They had to take the weekend that their instructors from VT could swing.
SBS
February 17, 2006
Member since 09/8/2005 🔗
9 posts
I was at Whitetail this Tuesday. The conditions were great. I was thinking about heading out there this weekend. When I saw the webcam pics I thought better. They've lost soooo much snow. It looks like it should be cooler through the weekend. If I were you I'd consider waiting until Monday so they can put some more snow on the hill.
Marie
February 18, 2006
Member since 02/18/2006 🔗
1 posts
My son and I got up early this morning, arrived at WT at 7:45, got our tickets and skis at 8, and were skiing by 8:30. We left around noon as it began to get extremely crowded, but until then we never waited more than a few minutes for a lift. The snow guns were blasting, and there were only a few little icy spots on the Snow Park slope where we spent most of our time.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Marie,
Welcome to DCSki and thanks for the report. Usa one of the most positive aspects of using DCSki.
Again welcome.
The Colonel
Aaron
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
I was there on saturday - as long as you stay on the experts chair at whitetail you're fine, as that never gets bad.
CavalierLion
February 22, 2006
Member since 09/22/2005 🔗
5 posts
I took the kids to Whitetail. My daughter had a friend sleep over that went with us who had to rent. It's been a while since renting skis, and frankly I forgot what a miserable experience that can be.

It being a sleepover, the girls didn't want to wake up early (and I didn't want to rush them). Plus, we had some other things we needed to do that morning (Sunday). We ended up not getting there until around 11am, and the rental area was a complete zoo. It took about an hour and a half just to get the skis.

Other than renting skis, the skiing was fine and surprisingly, other than the beginner slopes, not too crowded (about what I expected). The bumps on one run were pretty fun and the terrain parks (even the little one) were kind of fun. Although, you had to take a beginner lift to get to the little park, and this lift was very crowded so we only hit that park once.

In retrospect, had I known that the rental lines would have been that miserable I would have gone to Blueknob. But I wanted to try out Whitetail this year and the logistics of other stuff I had to do required me driving through Mercersburg.
twin58
February 22, 2006
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Isn't there a little place in Clear Spring, between the Interstate exit and the town itself, where you can rent equipment?
therusty
February 23, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
That WAS the Amoco station. They don't do it anymore.
therusty
February 26, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
BTW - It's now a Chevron station.
comprex
February 26, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Heh, CavalierLion, you actually -got- rentals, luckier than some.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?